Become a Patron!

Burning. What am I doing wrong?

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My last 2 rebuilds aren't working out. Both are burning the wick excessively at lower watts. On first vape, it's decent. Repeated or extended vapes, & it burns almost as if the wick is drying out. I'm using the same atty, same braided silica & 32 gauge. I boiled the the silica a few months ago & no problems till now. I shove a needle down the silica & wrap the coil around it insert the wick, set coil up & go. Right now, I've only got a slight hot spot at the top leg. I'm getting good vapor & decent flavor. Any ideas?

If you could take pic it would help. Could be your coil is too tight and choking the wick. It maybe your wicking method.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe these last couple were wrapped too tight. Probably cause I used a thinner needle while wrapping.

Can't get a pic right now. I'll try tomorrow

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
I think you wrapped it too tight or your wraps are touching at bottom and creating invisible hot spot (?) or your coil is "shorter" and heats smaller surface.
Have you tried microcoil? Easy to set up and with silica it survives for ever (nearly). Moreover it heats bigger surface = less burning at all.

Btw. do you use the same liquid? Some of them tend to burn easier (sweeter ones) and/or are thicker.

Btw2. it is normal that after good setups you make some bad and you dont know why. I call these blind lines of my vaping evolution ;)

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only potential spot the coil touching is at negative & I'm pretty sure it's not. Not sure what you mean by shorter. It's 4 wraps at 1.4 ohm. I haven't tried micro coil yet, I'll try that when my drippers get here. Probably have to get thicker wire for it too. Using the same few fluids, 4 or 5 flavors from 2 brands. I'll try building again tomorrow & also see if I can my camera to take a good pic.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
If you are getting a hotspot that is likely the source of your woes. That will cook the liquid very fast and give you that dry, burnt taste.

Have you considered wrapping a coil and using a piece of cotton? You can get the wick test fired and cleared of any hotspots real easily.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Savage ...I also use silica with 32 g and its happened to me . One leg maybe to long , coils touching on the bottom side or wire is to tight and the wick is strangled . Good luck .

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally forgot to take a pic, sorry. I just ripped the coil off, & redid it with no change. So I started from scratch. It's working much better now, only a slight burn on extended vapes.

Both legs were as short as possible & not touching anything. I wrap the negative on the wick side of the screw. And pull the positive close to the top post, pulling the wick in a little too.

I tried my first cotton build last week. Pretty much no go there. Total cotton taste. I'll try again when I mentally feel like it.

I haven't had to worry about this type of thing since pretty much giving up on mesh.

mero16

Member For 4 Years
Totally forgot to take a pic, sorry. I just ripped the coil off, & redid it with no change. So I started from scratch. It's working much better now, only a slight burn on extended vapes.

Both legs were as short as possible & not touching anything. I wrap the negative on the wick side of the screw. And pull the positive close to the top post, pulling the wick in a little too.

I tried my first cotton build last week. Pretty much no go there. Total cotton taste. I'll try again when I mentally feel like it.

I haven't had to worry about this type of thing since pretty much giving up on mesh.
don't give up, keep trying it will get better.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I'm gonna keep going at it. It's much better now, but not perfect. I'm using 3mm silica & the wick hole seems to be a little smaller than that, even though it's advertised as 3mm. If I drill it a little bigger, I'll be able to get the wick in a lot easier. Which in turn should allow me to set up the coil first & get it consistent every time, then insert wick. I'm also going to take a spare atty & practice micro coils. See how that works out for me as all I have right now is 32 gauge.

VU Sponsors