Become a Patron!

Burnt taste after a few puffs

hello guys
I am new to vaping and I just started with the subox mini kit
the thing is that from the past few days i feel a bad or burning taste while vaping
i tried rebuilding the coil a couple of times and have tried new cottons of different sizes
right now this is the third time i am changing the cotton today due to burnt taste
my cotton would last about 10-20 puffs to a full day and thats it
I vape between 15-20 watts
the coil ranges from .5-.8 ohms
I dont know what to do and am really tensed
any help is appreciated
thanks
below is the condition of the cotton and coil after 3 hours on 15 watt
url]
11996908_873345539413141_5676970900108988014_n.jpg

PS i tried thin and thick cottons but couldnt make it work

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
By the picture, your cotton has burn marks. Make the wicks shorter, so they barely touch the deck. Wet the wick, and get them to the walls of the posts, make sure, the juice channels stay clear of cotton.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
@Neunerball 's advice is spot on. You also will want to make sure when you pull the wick through the coil that there is enough cotton to have little bit of resistance. If it slides easily it prob doesn't have enough cotton.

ok thanks for the advice guys ;)
what i did this time was that i passed the cotton through the right and left holes of the thing that comes on top of the coil and then cut it and since then its quite great ;)
thanks

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
what i did this time was that i passed the cotton through the right and left holes of the thing that comes on top of the coil and then cut it and since then its quite great ;)
thanks
Looks like you may have solved it, but, anyway... you might want to watch Busardo's Subox Mini review at
Starting at about 48:40 he rebuilds the RDA.

HTH

Jim

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
thanks
Even though your problem seems to be solved, I noticed something you mentioned. "...the coil ranges from 0.5-0.8 Ohm...". That shouldn't be the case with the same build. If the resistance is jumping on your mod, that could cause the device to adjust to a "wrong" reading of the resistance of the coil(s), thus burning the wick. Check the posts for lose screws. Otherwise, your mod might need a regular maintenance, of cleaning the 510 connection (mainly the pin). I usually do that every other week. Take a q-tip and put a drop, or two of alcohol on one end, clean the contacts of the 510, use the dry part of the q-tip to dry.mlet the mod sit for a Minute, before putting your Atomizer back on. In case there should be some alcohol left, it should evaporate by that time.

mountainbikermark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
By the picture, your cotton has burn marks. Make the wicks shorter, so they barely touch the deck. Wet the wick, and get them to the walls of the posts, make sure, the juice channels stay clear of cotton.
I joined this forum just so I could thank you for this post.
I thought building coils was going to be tough but they've been easy to wrap and install but wicking is killing me. I've been doing it all wrong trying to fill the reservoir with cotton evidently.
Lush rda and a Mad Hatter, both same result as the op using a 26 gauge wire, dc, 3.5 mm id, Kanthol , ~.75 ohms
Again, thank you.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I joined this forum just so I could thank you for this post.
I thought building coils was going to be tough but they've been easy to wrap and install but wicking is killing me. I've been doing it all wrong trying to fill the reservoir with cotton evidently.
Lush rda and a Mad Hatter, both same result as the op using a 26 gauge wire, dc, 3.5 mm id, Kanthol , ~.75 ohms
Again, thank you.
You're welcome! That's what this forum is all about.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello guys
I am new to vaping and I just started with the subox mini kit
the thing is that from the past few days i feel a bad or burning taste while vaping
i tried rebuilding the coil a couple of times and have tried new cottons of different sizes
right now this is the third time i am changing the cotton today due to burnt taste
my cotton would last about 10-20 puffs to a full day and thats it
I vape between 15-20 watts
the coil ranges from .5-.8 ohms
I dont know what to do and am really tensed
any help is appreciated
thanks
below is the condition of the cotton and coil after 3 hours on 15 watt
url]
View attachment 28995

PS i tried thin and thick cottons but couldnt make it work
First of all, what is the inside diameter of your coil? 2.5-2.6mm is the way to go on the Subtank.

Also I've noticed, with my Subox, if I build less than .7 ohms (and I've built between .3 and .8 so far) it gets burnt tasting REALLY FAST even if the wick still looks nice and white; ESPECIALLY if you're getting up around 17-18 watts AND firing over 4 seconds. Over 20 watts and I get a burning taste that continues to get worse as the wattage goes higher.

My next Subtank build is going to be 1 ohm or higher. It seems like the higher my ohms have gone the longer my coil/wick lasts.

Just some food for thought.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors