Become a Patron!

Burnt taste with a brand new coil using the Kanger sub box mini?

Basically I got a Kanger subbox mini from a friend and a brand new Kanger .5ohm square coil. Loaded it up with my juice and let it soak and it was amazing for about a week. I only vape at 35 watts and this is a high wattage coil so it shouldn't be burnt already. My juice Is blue raz home brew though my friend said it's more of a thin juice rather than super thick. I vape a lot like 30 puffs a day give or take and those are all deep mouth to lung. No nicotine just for flavor.
Anyway the coil is basically new and it starts decent but before too long it tastes slightly burnt before completely screwing my throat and tasting like newspaper fire. Do I need a new coil or what?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just one burnt hit pretty much dictates the need for a new coil as the cotton was burned and youll never get that taste out of there...Replace the coil and keep vaping...Its not uncommon for a pre made coil to not last longer than a week...Some only make it a few days.

Just one burnt hit pretty much dictates the need for a new coil as the cotton was burned and youll never get that taste out of there...Replace the coil and keep vaping...Its not uncommon for a pre made coil to not last longer than a week...Some only make it a few days.
Is it possible for them to last longer? It's my first mod and I'm not exactly rich enough to buy coils every week.
How much do the square ohm coils for a Kanger usually go for?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the price varies but they are actually re-buildable should you wish to try doing that...The cost for wire and cotton and a few tools is far far less than buying the coils...Its hit or miss with pre built coils..You don't really know how long one will last...Youtube has a lot of examples on how to re build them.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
the price varies but they are actually re-buildable should you wish to try doing that...The cost for wire and cotton and a few tools is far far less than buying the coils...Its hit or miss with pre built coils..You don't really know how long one will last...Youtube has a lot of examples on how to re build them.
The RBA is rebuildable, the factory coils.. well if they are, I have never been able to.

@xandyxmarkx did your friend give you the RBA as well? It will be the coil with a cap that unscrews.. it should have ridges on top like you see on a 25 cent coin.
With a little luck, there are 2 ready made coil to go in the rba and maybe some cotton if your friend didn't use it.
If you have the RBA mini you can use that, or just buy another factory coil. I think they run around $3.00 but it's been a while since I priced them. I haven't really used the 2 I got with the tank, started rebuilding and been using the RBA ever since. If you burn the coil..just change the cotton.

As for factory coils. 35w is to hot. Figure 31w max. at 32 it is iffy, 33 is pushing your luck.
Start low, around 20w and go up to where you like the vape and flavor. (usually 25 to 31w) And remember.. the more power you use, the more air you have to allow in to cool the coils.

I have a video showing how to build a coil from start to vape. Cam isn't great, but it shows step by step. I'll post it if you need it.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The OCC coils are 100% re-buildable...Ive built many in a Subtank nano I once owned....They are the same exact coils used in the subtank mini..I know kanger has come out with some new version of coils which I have no idea about...Look up "OCC coil rebuild" on youtube to see what I mean...A lot try to pull the top section off the coil head and you don't have to do that at all...The bottom section comes apart like the old kanger evod coils...First the pin then the insulator etc..

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The OCC coils are 100% re-buildable...Ive built many in a Subtank nano I once owned....They are the same exact coils used in the subtank mini..I know kanger has come out with some new version of coils which I have no idea about...Look up "OCC coil rebuild" on youtube to see what I mean...A lot try to pull the top section off the coil head and you don't have to do that at all...The bottom section comes apart like the old kanger evod coils...First the pin then the insulator etc..
They must have changed something then. When I looked at the nano in August, the RBA mini was far to wide and the pipe didn't fit properly into the coil cap. Not sure about the regular factory coils though. Either way, the OP has the mini, not the nano. He is better off just buying a new coil or using the RBA. Rebuilding those factory coils is not a new user friendly solution.
I'm going to have to look up how to do that again though. Last time i looked i just thought.. oh screw this.. and stuck to the rba

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The nano when I had one only used the OCC "square" coil heads that were the same as the mini...If he has the square occ coils they are re-buildable...Doesn't matter which tank, mini or nano its the same coil heads used.

I never had a problem rebuilding them..It was as easy for me as the old kanger evod single coil heads..Other than having to push in a pin and an insulator its as easy as any rba deck.

yea, he needs a new coil or learn how to build.

Last edited:

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Basically I got a Kanger subbox mini from a friend and a brand new Kanger .5ohm square coil. Loaded it up with my juice and let it soak and it was amazing for about a week. I only vape at 35 watts and this is a high wattage coil so it shouldn't be burnt already. My juice Is blue raz home brew though my friend said it's more of a thin juice rather than super thick. I vape a lot like 30 puffs a day give or take and those are all deep mouth to lung. No nicotine just for flavor.
Anyway the coil is basically new and it starts decent but before too long it tastes slightly burnt before completely screwing my throat and tasting like newspaper fire. Do I need a new coil or what?

I have been using the 50w unit for a year and a half. I was Vaping at 25w then 30w now 35w. Using the same coil .5 ohm that you use. I use on the average 5mil sometimes a little more juice a day. I have had coils last me 5 days. After 5 days the coil wick starts turning little black. I change them out usually on the 7th day. I use 80/20 or 70/30 3mg.

Priming a new coil. Pre wetting the wick with juice. Both outside holes. And the inside part. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and always start hitting it at a lower wattage. 20w then 25w then 30w.

Carhauler71

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Having a similar issue with my tfv8 big baby beast. Using the x4 coils. Put a brand new one in and am still lacking flavor. What is the chance that it's a dud? Looks perfectly fine as did the one I took out.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Having a similar issue with my tfv8 big baby beast. Using the x4 coils. Put a brand new one in and am still lacking flavor. What is the chance that it's a dud? Looks perfectly fine as did the one I took out.
That happens to me occasionally. Letting it sit overnight fixes it. Seems like some of them may be wicked kinda tight.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Haven't used that tank, but rule of thumb is reduce the power, drop the air flow, and increase the power a bit at a time. A smaller top cap is better for flavor than the larger ones. Aside from that, I'd agree on the tight wicking. Flavor coils need a lot of juice in the wick to fill the spaces in the coil properly.
I use an RDA generally but I use my toptank mini if I go out and don't want to bother dripping. I have several RDAs, but the best for flavor I would have to say is the Tsunami by far. There may be better, but I haven't tried them.
#fasttech 2 months and counting waiting on my Kennedy clone. I suspect its CanPoo. (Canada Post). Either that or some light fingered postal worker helped them self. Canada no longer tracks international packages, which is highly suspect in my books.

VU Sponsors