Become a Patron!

Burt Taste, Need Help!

I am vaping a Fuchai-200W with a SMOK TFV12 Cloud Beast. I've had the mod for a little over a year now and still works great. I just got my tank this year in the beginning of April, so everything should be working fine with that. I usually vape V12-Q4 coils at 90-100W and make it about a week with no problem. I also buy them in a pack at a time. Now that y'all have my background, let me get to the issue.

Two days ago I needed to replace the coil. I had already used one from the pack, so I put in the second one. Primed it and waited about 10 minutes before firing up like I always do. I start out at 85W on a fresh V12-Q4 coil and then slowly change to 100W. I started to taste a burnt taste and even a little liquid getting in my mouth. Thought the coil might be bad, so I replaced it with my last one in the pack. This one was also doing the same thing. I was so frustrated I drove to the shop right then and explained the situation to my vape guy. He also thought it tasted bad, so he gave me two new replacement coils, and thought I possibly just got a bad batch of coils. I put the new one in right in front of him, and waited to see how it would pull. It worked fine pretty much the rest of the night. The next morning I had the same problem and liquid getting in my mouth. I used the last new coil he gave me and primed it even more than I normally do. It did the exact same thing. I ran back to the shop earlier this morning and they dissected the coil and showed me that it was burning the cotton pretty much in one specific spot which was odd. They said again that maybe the coils are bad, but four back to back coils failing, this seems unlikely and that it has to be a mod or tank problem. So we decided to change the coil from the Q4 to the T6. I have tried this coil before and dont care too much for the airflow on it, but fuck it, I had to try something. We primed it up and hit it like crazy and it was working perfect. It has been hitting great all day, but once again it started giving me the burnt taste and a little liquid in my mouth. The tank is not leaking and it doesn't seem to have a threading issue.

I just don't understand what this problem could be. The tank is fairly new and I really don't want to have to fork up the cash to get a new one. Has anyone else had this same issue? Can someone please offer some advice or what they think could be the problem? I also use the same juice I have been using over a year and never had any issues with that. Please someone help, I would greatly appreciate it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might consider bumping up/down the wattage used. Start with 2 point increments. Say you got it at 95, go to 97 and see if it clears up juice in mouth issue, if not go to 93 and test. Keep working in this manner until you find the "sweet spot". When I vaped Evod style tanks, recall having to do that at times.

Your coils are either flooding and not getting heated enough to atomize the juice, or heating too much and too quick causing you to not get enough juice. Either way the coil is "talking" to you in its own way. It needs to find its own optimum setting. As for several doing it, well they would as you're not hitting the right watts to get a coil performing efficiently.

I hope that helps without sounding overly frustrating, or beating around the bush. Vaping is indeed highly subjective. What i'm suggesting for example might not be the problem. It might be barometric pressure/s, wire quality, pg or vg ratio of the juice, Earth's rotation and so on. No, I'm not merely tossing out nonsense vectors, this kind of stuff does have effects. Hope you can get it as you desire.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hot spots on a coil are usually the result of hitting it to quickly at your desired wattage. Try this, start out 10 to 20 watts BELOW the minimum etched on the coil body. Hit it a couple of times, then bump up 2 watts, and hit it again, and so on until you hit your desired wattage or you start to get a burnt or harsh taste. Yes it's a pain in the ass, but it helps prevent hot spots from developing on the coil. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I'd think you likely have a tank problem.

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
smok coils are known to be trash, but with the tank you have its not as bad of a problem. Krazy Kanger's advice is spot on as to how to break the coil in, it does sound like you are ramping the power up too fast for the coil.

I’m one of those vapers that never changes anything up. I’ve used the same coils and juice for a year now with no problems and now something is wrong. It makes no sense.

I tried starting out at a very low wattage and slowly worked my way up. Just tried a new Q4 today and soaked the cotton very good. Cleaned everything. While priming it, I made it leak through the air slots, then I couldn’t stop the leak. Ended up changing my rubber gasket that you pour the juice into and that seemed to stop the leak. It was about 15 minutes of soaking before I fired it at 45W when it says 60W. Was working pretty good with great taste and then it happened again. Shit taste and juice in my mouth. I’m so upset. I’ve gone through 4 coils just trying to figure out my problem and I keep getting bad headaches from trying to hit it. My vape guy at the store is real cool and pretty knowledgeable and can’t really tell me a straight enough answer. My mod seems to still be working perfectly fine, but being almost 2 yrs old, he is thinking that it could have a bad electricity problem which is why it’s not firing up the way it should. Would y’all agree with this? Is there a way to test if my mod is doing what it should? Nothing has noticeably changed that I can see. If I was to get new equipment, should I try getting mod first or a new tank? I don’t know much, but it just seems to make so much more sense that something is messed up with tank more than mod.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're at the end of your rope with the situation, I'd say try a tank first. Usually less expensive than a new mod, and more likely to be the problem. Or if you know someone else that vapes and they are willing to let you try out their mod with your tank, then give that a shot. As you surmise, it's got to be one or the other. It's just a matter of determining which one is the culprit.

So turns out my tank was perfectly fine. My mod was just going on almost two years and was working very inefficiently. It was not putting out proper electricity. I know that sounds pretty crazy, but got a new hexohm today and everything is perfect. Back to enjoying my juices. Thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts.

VU Sponsors