Become a Patron!

Buzzing noise from battery

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello. I hear a buzzing noise coming from my battery, I just gave the battery a full charge and kept an eye on it so I know I didn't let it overcharge. I am using a kanger subox mini with an LG HE4 18650 2500mAh 20A battery. Should I be worried about this noise?

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you sure its the battery and not the chip on the Kbox? Some boxes will make a sort of buzz sound when your trying to fire something to low or stressing it. I am trying to remember the exact reason but my IPV mini's did that but the exact reason escapes me.

The battery would not "buzz" unless its venting and your hearing that but it would get hot if that was the case.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The battery is not hot and it's somewhere around the battery if it's not the battery. I haven't heard it until after I gave the battery a full charge and I have been using this battery for about 2 days now. It's a faint buzzing noise, when the coil starts making a sound you can barley hear the buzzing.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I'm running it at 25 watts, 3.5 volts on the stock 0.5 ohm coil.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The battery is not hot and it's somewhere around the battery if it's not the battery. I haven't heard it until after I gave the battery a full charge and I have been using this battery for about 2 days now. It's a faint buzzing noise, when the coil starts making a sound you can barley hear the buzzing.
Is the battery buzzing when you take it out of the device?
Does it only buzz when you press the button on your mod?
I have heard batteries buzz but when it did it blew up and burned me to all hell and was red hot ..
I am betting its the DC converter (The chip ) in the box

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you know if that Kbox has step down voltage? That might be what mine did as my ipv mini's did not as they were turds so when a fresh battery went in it wouldnt actually step down the voltage so instead of vaping at 3,5 volts it was vaping at the battery voltage which on a fresh charge would be 4.1-4.2 until the battery settled to that set voltage.

Not saying thats whats happening but it rang a bell when I started thinking about it. As long as your battery is not getting hot its just the chip buzzing. My old DIY boxes used to do that as well when I got the ohm of my coils to low or there was a short. Its the chip saying "hey pal you might wanna check things cuz I dont like this".

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have a way to test and see if it buzzes when it's out of the box. I charge it while it's in the mod but I watch it to make sure it doesn't get hot. But I do notice that it doesn't buzz when I set it to 33 watts and up (4.0 volts or higher).

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya im 99.9% sure its just the chip reacting to the fully charged batteries. I just did some reading at it does not look like it has step down or if it does it has an issue with DC-Mean, True RMS which pretty much means it doesnt like below 30 watts on a fresh battery.

Hopefully its vaping ok for ya at that wattage. Once the coil is broken in it should vape perfectly fine at that wattage with the tank it came with from what I am reading. Your not gonna blow up so your ok there:)

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for helping. I was a little worried about the battery because I bought it on ebay, it had good reviews and said it was authentic so maybe it is. I bought a new battery from a seller that some users on this forum recommeded because I ordered the new kanger topbox mini. So hopefully this battery will be good until I get my new one.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya if all else fails pop the battery cover off(does it have one? I am not familiar with it) and try to feel the battery. You will know if a battery is venting. Batteries can get warm when in use or when charging but its warm like sleeping on your pillow warm. you dont really notice it until you flip your pillow over heh. A venting battery will get hot.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes the mod has a magnetic battery cover. I have popped it off to check the battery every so often and it never feels hot or even warm.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup your good. Welcome to the wild world of mods. I purchased two 30 watt IPV mini's at $60 a pop in dec of 2014 just to find out they did the same thing and then the 60 watt version came out a month later. The good news is they just get better and better(usually).

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool, I'm excited for the Kanger topbox mini because I love my subox mini. I actually ordered my subox mini on ebay for $39 for the whole kit and the seller said it was authentic (he also had 100% feedback) it took a week to get here and it was a gold color (I asked for black, the box even says black edition) he gave me a partial refund of $6.99 after talking with him. When I checked to see if it was authentic it said it had been scanned somewhere around 1300 times since March 2015. But I guess it's okay because if that wouldn't have happened I wouldn't be getting the topbox mini. Although lesson learned that I will now order from actual websites.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Naw I order from ebay a fair amount. I honestly do not put a ton of stock in those stickers to be honest but thats just me. It seems like a decent box for what it is but after the topbox you might consider checking out a more full featured mod like the VTC mini which gets rave reviews. But hey whatever ya vape if it keeps ya from smoking and happy then thats good enough if your satisfied.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was having decisions about the kanger top box or the innokin cool fire 4 plus but decided to get the topbox. After a couple months of using the topbox I will definitely check out some better mods. Who knows by then lots of better devices may be out.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya. the coolfire is good for a standard wattage mod. The VCT mini is nice because it gives ya temp control and all that jazz for the same price as some of these kits. Even if ya dont use it. I always say I wont use something till I wake up one day and then want to use it but cant lol.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I remember now that I seen the VTC mini kit on VaporDNA, it was a really nice looking mod. For a minute I was thinking about getting it but I heard more about kanger at the time. Nice mod never the less.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking back at it they both almost have the same features besides the wattages.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your good either way just something to think about when you get the itch for another device. Thats the issue with upgrading. You go from a basic to something with more features and you look at that older less feature rich device with pity and shame.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah just 2 weeks ago I was using an Eleaf Ijust2 pen, now I'm into mods lol.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup. I am both happy and sad for you. Happy you will vape much better and sad for your wallet. Vaping becomes a hobby but its a fun hobby. We all need hobbies anyways. If it wasnt vaping it would be some other hobby half as fun and probably twice as costly.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So true. Sometimes I wonder if I should build my own coils or buy them lol, and I go threw so much juice but it's all worth the money to me.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have an interest in builing coils its pretty fun. It can make ya wanna pull your hair out until you get a handle on it but its really nice not having to shell out for coills and spend it else where. Its an upfront cost but it pays for itself. I also DIY but I am cheap.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried rba with the kit kanger gives you in the starter kits. It went great and I did it without any tutorial but the cotton burnt within about 30 minutes of vaping. After that I followed a tutorial on YouTube from RipTrippers and the cotton lasted about 2 hours of vaping then burnt.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You just have to get a feel for it. Experiment. Those builds some of them do are for cloud machines so if your not trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose it wont perform right. It can be frustrating but if ya stick with it its fun. Temp control helps with that to.

PhantomOC

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good, I will most likely attempt to build more when I get my new mod since it will have TC maybe it will help. Thanks for all the tips, it's almost 4AM here and my eyes are killing me lol. I followed you so if I have any questions or anything maybe you can help, if that's cool.

Hello. I hear a buzzing noise coming from my battery, I just gave the battery a full charge and kept an eye on it so I know I didn't let it overcharge. I am using a kanger subox mini with an LG HE4 18650 2500mAh 20A battery. Should I be worried about this noise?

Well #1 never charge ur battery inside ur mod , always use a external charger or batterys will over charge and blow ur peice. aka buzzing sounds . Also if ur batterys are extremely low and you continue to use ur peice at such a low charge it will blow. If you follow these 2 tips ur peice will last forever if you take care of it. Keeping an eye on it doesnt matter , DONT USE INTERNAL CHARGER BUY EXTERNAL ITS 25$

Charging ur mod esp internally fucks with it. Do yourself a favor and save $ and buy a 2 peice external charger 25$. Take it where you bought it and ur dealer should hook u up 25% off if u fucked ur piece and we will say the same thing I said and will not give u a deal next time.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never had a battery buzz ever you are doing some real weird stuff

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is a very old post, and indeed it is not the battery itself it is the circuitry in the mod - older mods like the Subox Mini "buck" voltage by discharging quickly at a high frequency - the lower the voltage desired compared to actual voltage of the battery, the lower the "buzz" because the mod pulls power from the battery at a lower frequency to approximate the desired voltage/wattage

I used to have one, and it did this - yay science!

Nothing to do with the battery, or charging, or anything else

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a very old post, and indeed it is not the battery itself it is the circuitry in the mod - older mods like the Subox Mini "buck" voltage by discharging quickly at a high frequency - the lower the voltage desired compared to actual voltage of the battery, the lower the "buzz" because the mod pulls power from the battery at a lower frequency to approximate the desired voltage/wattage

I used to have one, and it did this - yay science!

Nothing to do with the battery, or charging, or anything else

This ^^^

Thank you Pegleg Meg :cool:

Hey so im using a Smok Veneno the iron man mod and i lost it for like 4 months and finally found it. Now its not charging or turning on and its has a humming nose and smells like is burning? What do i do?

VU Sponsors