Become a Patron!

Calculations

I recently read a reddit post talking about amp draw calculations on regulated mods. It postured that resistance on a regulated mod does not matter. If my understanding is correct, this is true due to the fact that the regulator is attached to the battery, not the coil. For example:

49.5W / 3.7V = 13.38A // (operating wattage + 10% reg. inefficiency) / nominal batt. voltage = amp draw from battery.

Where I am getting confused is on the regulator to coil side. The examples I read through displayed situations where battery amp draw was higher then amps to the coil, making the point that the mod was drawing more amperage then a basic calculator would let on to. My question is, if amperage is higher on the regulated side than the battery side, what effect does that have on battery amp draw? Example with resistance being considered on regulated side:

V=√(44W * .18 Ohms) = 2.85V
I= 2.85V/.18 Ohms = 15.83 Amps

In my mind, it doesn't make sense that the regulated side is pulling 15.83 amps, but the calculation for amp draw on the battery side comes out to 13.38. While at these levels, my battery can handle it. When we increase these values, the disparagement in values may get me into trouble when considering the load I'm putting on my battery.

I understand that on regulated mods, these minor differences may not be life and death. So, really it is just my curiosity nagging me to understand how it works. As a note, I am relatively new to vaping; and obviously not an expert on Ohms Law and/or electronics. Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I recently read a reddit post talking about amp draw calculations on regulated mods. It postured that resistance on a regulated mod does not matter. If my understanding is correct, this is true due to the fact that the regulator is attached to the battery, not the coil. For example:

49.5W / 3.7V = 13.38A // (operating wattage + 10% reg. inefficiency) / nominal batt. voltage = amp draw from battery.

Where I am getting confused is on the regulator to coil side. The examples I read through displayed situations where battery amp draw was higher then amps to the coil, making the point that the mod was drawing more amperage then a basic calculator would let on to. My question is, if amperage is higher on the regulated side than the battery side, what effect does that have on battery amp draw? Example with resistance being considered on regulated side:

V=√(44W * .18 Ohms) = 2.85V
I= 2.85V/.18 Ohms = 15.83 Amps

In my mind, it doesn't make sense that the regulated side is pulling 15.83 amps, but the calculation for amp draw on the battery side comes out to 13.38. While at these levels, my battery can handle it. When we increase these values, the disparagement in values may get me into trouble when considering the load I'm putting on my battery.

I understand that on regulated mods, these minor differences may not be life and death. So, really it is just my curiosity nagging me to understand how it works. As a note, I am relatively new to vaping; and obviously not an expert on Ohms Law and/or electronics. Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon
this should explain everything

VU Sponsors