Become a Patron!

Calling Out A Sellers Price

Is it ok to call out a seller on a high priced item?

• Yes I have a responsibility to the community

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Nope. It's up to the buyer to do research

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It is correct that that was the conclusion that people came to, but it is not correct that that was him.

Typos brought to you by: crapatalk!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It is correct that that was the conclusion that people came to, but it is not correct that that was him.

Typos brought to you by: crapatalk!
Just a case of false accusations and mass hysteria.
That's what happens when people listen to someone who is convinced that they are the smartest one in the room, despite them having zero facts to back up their case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I tend to stay out of things these days, cause trying to help many times goes very WRONG for me.

If I see someone I have had contact with on other threads that seems interested in something that I know is questionable in any way. I will PM them and give them a friendly "heads up"

That has even gone wrong for me sometimes. That person contacts the seller and tells them " so and so said" then I get an angry PM back.....

If I know its less somewhere I will just link the site, etc.

All I know is that many times its not out of greediness, its that they dont know the item has saturated the market and is no longer the "must" have. That even though they just got it and paid lets say.... 150.00 and they either have not opened it or used it or its in barely used condition, they cant get what they paid. That happens to me a LOT more than I care to think of. I tend to wait on new things to see if its something I might like. I read to see if the customer service is good, etc. Usually its a bad thing if it doesnt work out for me, cause its lost its desirability. That happened to me with the Cloud. I listed it for less than the retail with free shipping. It sat and sat and sat. I ended up losing more than half , even though the people that had it were nuts over.

Other times I might list something that is already much less and I get offers for ridiculous prices or offers for trades with clones or things that are completely NOT on the same level. I try my best to be polite..... Its an odd market out there.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This reminds me of the cheeto that recently sold for $100,000 on ebay because is was shaped like Hirambe. Some idiot really paid 100,000 dollars for a fucking cheeto. Some people have to much money.

If i see someone on a online buy/sell forum thread selling something for way more than it should cost. I usually dont say anything because i feel the buyer should do some research first. They had the know how to find an online forum and look in the buy/sell portion of the forum. If they can do that, there is no reason they should not do some research. Sometimes i do see some crazy high prices of used gear. I should scroll past them.

I can see why people speak up for someone thats about to get ripped off. I have no problem with that. Its fine to say something if you see someone about to get ripped off. Some people are just con artists and deserve to be blasted. Its all about how you go about it. Just dont be an ass.

I'm a big fan of Harambe and even joined an organization to help raise awareness...

IMG_8931.JPG

RIP Harambe

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interesting responses. I personally don't do it.

I was in a shop the other day and some guy was buying a evic VTC mini with a tron tank and battery for $89.99 and it got me thinking about this topic.

So here's a follow up question... for those that do chime up, if you were at a B&M and you saw someone about to make the same purchase I witnessed, would you speak up?

Depends on how much I like the shop, and/or whoever owns/runs it. The shop nearest me, absolutely not. I like the guy who owns it a great deal, and I understand that retail has a much higher overhead than anything online, and if he can't make a LITTLE profit, he'll eventually go out of business, which wouldn't benefit anyone. I personally wouldn't pay retail prices for anything except driptips, and *maybe* occasionally ejuice, though not so much on juice since high-VG became the fad, but I won't stand there in his shop and undermine his ability to make a profit, that would just be rude, and rather stupid, as noted above -- he's a great help to new vapers who happen into his shop, so I want him to stay in business!

OTOH... if I know that a shop and its employees are total dicks, then sure, I'll give the would-be purchaser a PSSST! and clue them in that they can find whatever-it-is online for MUCH less, and really won't even care if whoever's working in that shop asks me to leave. :giggle:

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I must be a dumbass. I could have purchased an nJoy pack thing at the local Kwikee Mart when I started. Or a no-name overpriced kit from the local smoke shop. But silly me - I didn't and did a week of research before buying my first gear. I wasn't expecting an e-cig nanny to be whispering in my ear in the smoke shop or outside the Kwikee Mart. And if they did I doubt I would have taken unasked for advice. But that's just me.

dropstep

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As someone who is still fairly new too this i purchased my pico and then my alien from my local b&m because the guys are super helpful and the mark up on the alien kit was only $20 vs buying online. They actually try to help people so i try not to harm there business unless they directly ask my a question about something ive purchased from them. I feel like people should be willing to do there own research, thats how i ended up here and why i order most of my juice offline now!

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
In store I'll say it right to their face...

Watch mod envy? Last week they were making fun of a shop because of ridiculous prices...

I understand people need to make a profit but I've seen shops selling Picos just the mod for 85$ and alien kits for 150...

VapingGuitarist

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Unless someone is blatantly trying to rip someone off, I won't say anything as I feel that anyone getting into vaping or any other hobby should do their research. Google searches and YouTube reviews can be invaluable. It was for me in learning the vaping ropes. Even though I now have a fairly good grasp of things vaping related, I'm still learning! Also, Calling different shops and asking questions is important as well. I.E. the first shop I called wanted to sell me an expensive tube mech mod as my first starter kit! The second shop I called didn't want anything to do with me if I wasn't spending at least $200.00 on my first purchase! Luckilly the third shop I called was the charm. Not only did they take the time to talk to me over the phone and explain my options that fit my very limited budget at the time. But they gave me an employee discount on my Subvod Mega, a free 30ml bottle of house juice for under $32.00 and the employee took the time to set everything up for me and explained how to use and maintain it. A bonus was they treated me like family and they are just as happy for people to come in and hang out all day wheather a purchase is made or not! They offer free builds and cotton, free pieces of different guage wire, free sample juice tasting, and even little things like free canned sodas and free battery charging! So now they have a customer for life. And yes, they are a little more expensive than the online retailers. But I'd rather spend a few bucks more for the quality customer service and the piece of mind knowing if a warranty problem comes along, they will handle it for me! Oh and they have no problem letting customers know where they can get something on line that's not in stock or if they can't match or come close to lower prices!
Sorry if I wen't a little off topic, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Shawn

VU Sponsors