Become a Patron!

Camping question

I'm going wilderness camping in a remote part of Wyoming next week. I'll be in the rough for 7 days. I'm planning to pre-charge all my batteries (6 sets of 18650s) and try to ration my vaping, but I know they won't last. One of the people I'll be with will have a generator for his CPAP machine. Would it be crappy of me to ask if I could charge a pair of batteries off his generator? I ask because it seems to take a significant amount of time to charge a pair of batteries when I'm on household current and I don't want to be a dick considering we'll be an hour and a half from the nearest town so we can't just easily go buy more gas for the generator.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wouldn’t think he’ll need it during the day. Just be a good sport and put in for generator fuel.

Dbreezy187

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed but would definitely find out prior to the excursion so you can figure out a back up plan if needed. And honestly the only back up plan I can think of is using a battery charger with USB capabilities and powering it off one of those massive power banks however I am not by any means knowledge in that Dept. But we have enough people here who would know if that's even a viable/safe option.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your battery charger... can you get an ac adapter? Plug into lighter of car and charge. I carry one in my glove comp for My nitecores.. what mod? Reg? Maybe use your phone charger if your cells dies..cause for me. 6 are not enough..

#staycloudy

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait..my bad. You said wilderness...prob wont have a vehicle.oops

#staycloudy

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Big powerbank and usb 18650 charger. Or charge in mod from powerbank.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A power bank and one of those fold up solar cells thingys should keep you vaping for a while.
Do not expect too much from the solar cell thingys and the power banks with built in solar cells are crap for the most part. Might be enough output to charge 1 18650 per day or so from them. Not enough solar cell area on a power bank to generate much electricity at all. And LI cells do not like the hot sun very much.
You will need at least a square foot or so of solar cell area.

Last edited:

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
those roll up solar cells are pretty big.
if you aren;t back packing, i'd just buy lots of extra batteries,

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
those roll up solar cells are pretty big.
if you aren;t back packing, i'd just buy lots of extra batteries,
They have fold up solar cells with a USB charge output that would fit nicely in a backpack.
Just search fold up solar cells on Amazon.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you plug in the same time he's running the cpap, well he's got to have it running anyway right?
I'd offer to buy some gas but just take a splitter that's 3 prong and charge when he's using it.

Also, if you can adjust your charge pick the highest setting (1 amp X 4 or 2 amp X 2)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Wilderness camping is awesome. Wyoming sounds beautiful. Can I go?

I would assume that there will be a vehicle nearby as you will most likely not roll a generator off into a deep hike in. If that's the case you are all set with any battery charger that has an auto plug and can just make trips back to the vehicle and swap. I have an XTAR charger won here that works well but does require a modern 10Amp plug or it will pop the fuse.

If no car is available, you can lug in one of these moderately heavy suckers and power most of your stuff for a week without issues. I used one of these to power a laptop, charge a phone and iPad for several days in South America. They have them in a bunch of flavors and price ranges.

The generator if you use it will want to be plugged in after the generator is running for a couple of minutes. This is the same with the CPAP machine. You will also want to unplug it before you turn that off.

Thanks, everybody. I'm thinking my best bet is to sip a few mAh off the generator overnight while it's already running and hope I don't cause the guy who needs the CPAP to die in his sleep, lol. I bought a solar powerbank for my phone and just testing it at home, I can't see solar being able to keep up with my vape habit. It came 3/4 charged and it took 2 afternoons of full sun exposure to get to a full charge. That'll keep my phone going (since there's no service where I'll be anyway) but I can't see it keeping me vaping. But I just remembered I also have a lithium ion jump starter that I use to jump car batteries with (I collect old sports cars) and it just occurred to me maybe I could use that if all else fails.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah the solar panels on the power banks are pretty much just a gimmick. Better than no solar power but not by much.

good luck an be sure and update us on how it turns out.

VU Sponsors