Become a Patron!

Can I bring (enter rig here) on an airplane?

Anthony825

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a Kangertech Subtank, and a Cloupor T8 regulated box mod. Friday morning I'm leaving for a 6 day trip to Las Vegas from Denver. My question is, if I keep everything separated and in their original boxes in my carry on will it be ok? Or will I be flagged and asked to surrender my $200 set up? I'm nervous but I need my vape or I'll revert to smoking and I really don't want to do that. Please, fast answers would be most helpful!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What Miss Whiskey said.

I have been there and done that and all was well.

I would put your hardware in some kind of bag, and put it in the tray. Spare batteries can be left in your carryon or in the tray.

DO NOT put batteries in your stored luggage! Against the rules so don't even think about it!

E-Liquids follow the same rule as any other liquids. Under 1 oz (a full 1 Oz bottle is like 29. somthing ml of E-Liquid) and put them in the same 1 quart baggie as your shampoo and other stuff.

Shampoo and other stuff is usually available in your hotel or motel room as well as anyone that you are staying with.

The last time I traveled with APV's and associated stuff, I had a Dovpo E-Mech, a Dovpo E-LVT and a custom made dual battery DNA 20 mod with me.

All of them had batteries installed and RBAs with liquid inside on two of them.

Being an experienced traveler, at the same time I was stripping down (AKA removing my boots, suspenders and cell phone......By the way All of my keys, change and stuff was already in a side compartment of my carryon bag) I made it a point (being diplomatic and stuff) of asking the nearest TSA agent if they had any problems with my vape gear.

She assured me that they (TSA) knew all about this "Stuff" and was quite nice about it.

But I did notice that she had a little "sidebar" with the other screeners.

And I went through in good order.

Except for one thing.

As I was going to another state, I also had my TomTom GPS and the "Sand Bag" dash mount thingy with me.

The "Thingy" got me pulled aside as it just showed up as a "suspicious" black mass on the scanners.

So they got out their special bomb sniffing stuff and gave it the once over twice.

Which was fine by me as while I was waiting for this to be done, I had my very own chair so I could get dressed again.

Sorry for the mini rant.

Just follow the rules, be nice and respectful and don't take a GPS "Thingie" with you and all will be well!

Back to the respectful part, as hard as it is to believe, the TSA screeners are people too.

Kind of anyway.

And think of all the ignorant assholes they have had to deal with before they get to your smiling face!

PS, don't even Think of bringing one of those mods with you that even looks like a hand grenade.

All bets are off at that point and we will see you in GITMO soon!

Anthony825

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea the article you linked was a bit vague on what I needed to know. I already read the TSA article on this site and I'm still nervous. I originally was going to bring my Aspire Atlantis with a 7ml tank extension on my Stingray X Mech Clone, but figured that a cylindrical mod would look more like a pipe bomb than a regulated box mod. So I bought this rig that I posted earlier and just want to make sure I'm not going to have any issues.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yea the article you linked was a bit vague on what I needed to know. I already read the TSA article on this site and I'm still nervous. I originally was going to bring my Aspire Atlantis with a 7ml tank extension on my Stingray X Mech Clone, but figured that a cylindrical mod would look more like a pipe bomb than a regulated box mod. So I bought this rig that I posted earlier and just want to make sure I'm not going to have any issues.

IMHO, follow my humble advice and you will be fine.

Anthony825

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm probably going to do just like you said, but this is my first flight with a vape and I don't want to have all my stuff taken from me and have a TSA's hand up my butt at 330 in the morning this Friday haha....

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got probably 50k miles with vape gear. Never had much problem. Liquids or Attys / tanks with liquid go in the ziplock up to 88ml. You have to check bigger bottles. Buy spare small bottles for travel if you buy bulk liquid and don't want to check. Things with batteries go in the tray like a laptop. Once I forgot about my tube mod in my bag. They took it out and looked it over while I explained what it was. That was 2011 or 12 so it is hard to remember, but I think they had me fire it and that was it. They've got to be a lot more used to them now but I still follow this procedure when I don't go absent minded.

Jordon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure you made it to Las Vegas incident free and I hope you're having a good time. My wife is a flight attendant and I use my benefits a lot. Last weekend I spent a 24 hours in San Francisco, just because I love szechuan. Z&Y Restaurant in Chinatown on Jackson, just off Grant. Yummy, yum, yum. Anyway, I've been vaping for a few years and in the beginning I had trepidation about flying with my gear, but I haven't had one incident going through security. Any liquid not in a tank goes with any other liquids and the rest of it goes in my carry on wherever it fits, but I usually keep it easily accessible with removable batteries together. My only tip would be, if you have any tanks with coils that gets air from underneath, turn them upside down or they'll leak. Air pressure inside the cabin diminishes up to about 6,000 feet where it levels off. Pressure inside the tank lags behind as you're going up and if you keep them right side up the air inside the tank will force liquid out the bottom and you'll end up with a mess. If you turn them upside down, then only the air in the tank escapes. Coming down it's the reverse and pressure is trying to get in, so it doesn't matter.

VU Sponsors