Become a Patron!

Can I use a glass fuse?

shawngibson

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know. I suppose that's part of my question...how safe is a glass fuse? I would, of course, have it surrounded by wood, i.e. explosion resistance lol.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not advisable IMO, leave the glass to the tanks, not the battery holders

shawngibson

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Whiskey. Will do. My goals have changed substantially since I bought my parts...I'm a bit confused lol!
Shawn

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

Is it OK to use a glass fuse on an unregulated mod, i.e. something like this, using two 18650 batteries in parallel?

http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-to-disassemble-a-small-glass-fuse/

Namely:

(2 batteries in parallel)>mechanical button (Fat Daddy pusher)>fuse>510

Is this ok in practice?

Merci:)
Shawn
Hello :).

Have you picked this type of fuse for a certain reason, such as due to their size? As from the looks of things they are 31MM fuses.

If so, those fuses are the type we use in the UK in all of our plugs that go to the mains, and are available made of glass like you show, but also of other materials, so if it was due to the size you can get them cheaply made from a different material.

But, any fuse is better than no fuse, when the fuse blows the glass should not actually break, just the wire inside of the fuse. Glass fuses allow you to see quickly if the fuse has blown or not.

The only thing I would ensure is you are using a fuse for DC power and not AC like you have shown- a quick google seems that they are different so I would research before using this type of fuse.

EDIT: This is assuming it is a 31MM fuse, if not my apologies, I would rather you be safe though before going ahead with anything.

shawngibson

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Conan. I saw a glass fuse on a British site, I wish I could remember the site, but I can't:(

Yes, I would like to add a glass fuse to my mods...I've got lots of wood here and lots of Fat Daddy parts.

Think wood, metal and my desire to be original yet safe.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Conan. I saw a glass fuse on a British site, I wish I could remember the site, but I can't:(

Yes, I would like to add a glass fuse to my mods...I've got lots of wood here and lots of Fat Daddy parts.

Think wood, metal and my desire to be original yet safe.
I see, they are pretty standard fuses over here and readily available, if you need a link to some let me know, they are not expensive for a big pack at all. I would check they are OK for your needs though for safety.

The most common ones are 3A, 5A and 13A fuses, these are what are in all of our plugs that go into the mains, and sometimes they do blow and you have to replace it in the plug.

I don't think other countries have fuses in their plugs, and I am not entirely sure why we do over here in all honesty, as we still have fuseboxes and circuit breakers, so the power can still trip and need turning back on at the box.

I hope you can get a nice mod built soon, do show us all when you are done :). Would you be going for the glass fuse so it is easier to see if it is blown visually?
If not you could get the same size fuse but not glass if it is a concern.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use any kind of fuse you want, as long as its rated at high enough amperage for your application and that you have space to place it and it's fuse holder within the box.

VU Sponsors