Become a Patron!

Can I use these batteries in a Mech Mod?

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can I use these batteries in a Mech Mod? Has anyone else used Nitecore batteries?
H9xGord.jpg

vaporelse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I always feel it is best to stick with brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.

Here is a link where you can get authentic Sony VTC4 batteries, 2 for $14.41: Fadora Vapor

vaporelse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...But I want protected batteries...

OK, sorry. In that case I will let some else answer. I have no experience with Nitecore batteries.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, sorry. In that case I will let some else answer. I have no experience with Nitecore batteries.
ANY protected batteries. It doesn't have to be Nitecore.

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those are actually protected cells and at least should be quite safe. They have an inbuilt PTC and an added PCB/PCM also.

1-1_NL183_EN4.jpg

That said performance will be so-so at best due to the protection, there is no free lunch.

Here is a comparison of 2 identical Panasonic cells. One is naked the other has the added PCM as shown above.

PAN_PCM_comp.png

We see a significant difference in voltage sag and also vaping mAh. Using 3.2V as a cutoff the unprotected one manages 33% more mAh.

Although Sony is often recommended when it comes to 18650s they have the worst safety record of any brand. And as far as the so-called 30A rating their revised datasheet for the VTC5 has dropped any mention of 30A.

http://www.intaste.de/community/dtf/technical_information.pdf

Stick with the #1 worldwide leader, Samsung.

Scooby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For what it's worth I use the nitecore batteries in a few of my flashlights and they are great batteries but I never used them in a mech due to the protection, amp limit, etc.. As I only sub ohm.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My charger is NiteCore and I love it. Never tried the batteries though. I stick to the brands that are common with e-cigs. (Sony, Panasonic, AW)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
laurel, the Magnesium in iMr batteries (e.g. the VTC series) is protection in itself. there is no guarantee the protection circuitry in a protected battery will save you. conversely, it might just keep cutting out every time there's a high drain. i suppose there's still a place for protected but current technology is making them ever more redundant.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
laurel, the Magnesium in iMr batteries (e.g. the VTC series) is protection in itself. there is no guarantee the protection circuitry in a protected battery will save you. conversely, it might just keep cutting out every time there's a high drain. i suppose there's still a place for protected but current technology is making them ever more redundant.
This. Everything I've ever read and been told explicitly states IMR safer chemistry not ICR protected batteries for mechs. IMR's vent and ICR's explode, they generally have a lower Amperage rating as well, I believe. Good call on the Sony's.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know there's no such thing as authentic Sony VTC4's, right? Sony quit making them a long time ago. Everything out there now is a clone.
The key is to know your seller and stick to them. I know of a few sellers here that I know for certain test their batteries first before putting them out there. Having well tested batteries beats any name or manufacturer.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Although Sony is often recommended when it comes to 18650s they have the worst safety record of any brand. And as far as the so-called 30A rating their revised datasheet for the VTC5 has dropped any mention of 30A.

http://www.intaste.de/community/dtf/technical_information.pdf

Stick with the #1 worldwide leader, Samsung.

So this pdf is from Sony? Or it's a test that a member on a German vape forum or a German vendor ran?

There is no mention of any max discharge rate so you can not assume anything from that.

If you want to assume, you could assume 20a because that's what the testers equipment could handle or you could assume 50a because there is no mention of a max amp rating... it was just tested at a 20a discharge rate and did fine.

Buy Samsung, Sony, LG, Efest... whatever you want it doesn't matter to me. But I don't think you are putting correct info out there for others in this forum.

Edit:
This vendors page is the only place I could find that PDF, nowhere on any Sony sites.
http://www.powerstream.com/18650-high-discharge-rate.htm

Last edited:

VU Sponsors