Become a Patron!

Can I vape while charging

I've seen this question asked on the internet, and the answer has always been "depends on your mod".
I considering buying the Sigelei J80 80W TC Box Mod.
However, with an internal battery, I am worried it might need charging when I need to vape, so can I vape that MOD while it's recharging?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I've seen this question asked on the internet, and the answer has always been "depends on your mod".
However, with an internal battery, I am worried it might need charging when I need to vape, so can I vape that MOD while it's recharging?
Devices that can be vaped while charging are called "passthrough". This device is not a passthrough.
Most vapers have several setups so they have something else to vape while one is charging... or they use mods with removable batteries that can be changed out.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I believe the MVP3 or 4 and the Cool Fire 4 do. Just do a google search for passthrough mod.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Technically, you *could* passthrough vape on any mod that has a USB port. However, there's a risk of overloading your USB port. So yes, it does depend on your mod. Some mods do have passthrough support. I did a bit of research on the subject, and here's what I found out:

You will need to know how much power your charger is putting out and how much power your USB port can handle. Your USB port is only equipped to handle so much current from a charger while vaping. (Current is basically a measurement of how much electricity is running through your circuit, or in this case, running through the charging cable.) If the battery tries to pull more power than the port can handle, it can do some serious damage to the port. I mostly learned that part the hard way while trying to passthrough on my Hohm Slice. The USB port on my Hohm Slice is useless now, so please be careful so you don't make the same mistake I made.

Here's a bit of information on passthrough vaping: http://blog.misticecigs.com/what-is-pass-through-vaping

And as for your question about which cheap mods support passthrough, you could try the Innokin Coolfire IV if you prefer not to go too high on your wattage. That one will go up to 40w. Or if you want a bit more power, the Eleaf iStick supports up to 100w and supports passthrough. That one's pretty comparable to my Hohm Slice as far as quality, and my Hohm Slice delivers a great vape for me without going too high on power. Use Google to find those.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Countrypami
What mid price mod has pass through capabilities with internal batteries? I get asked this every once in a while.

The 2 on the left can be, Vaptio C-II and the solo 2
U9CDH8M.jpg

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The safe answer is NO. Maybe you can, but you are safer not to do it. A charger and spare battery is pretty cheap.
Now if you don't have a charger, and absolutely HAVE to puff a vape, disconnect it from USB, take a couple puffs, put it back to charge. (which is what i had to do with my first mod, *one or 2 puffs to hold me over and keep me off cigs, then back to charger)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MOD's that have pass thru charging you can but you can also vape a MOD that does not have pass thru since it will just stop charging when you vape. But you must remember this stresses the batteries and extends charging time.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
MOD's that have pass thru charging you can but you can also vape a MOD that does not have pass thru since it will just stop charging when you vape. But you must remember this stresses the batteries and extends charging time.
I've seen a blog post where the mod exploded when vaped while charging. So not worth the risk.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Technically, you *could* passthrough vape on any mod that has a USB port. However, there's a risk of overloading your USB port. So yes, it does depend on your mod. Some mods do have passthrough support. I did a bit of research on the subject, and here's what I found out:

You will need to know how much power your charger is putting out and how much power your USB port can handle. Your USB port is only equipped to handle so much current from a charger while vaping. (Current is basically a measurement of how much electricity is running through your circuit, or in this case, running through the charging cable.) If the battery tries to pull more power than the port can handle, it can do some serious damage to the port. I mostly learned that part the hard way while trying to passthrough on my Hohm Slice. The USB port on my Hohm Slice is useless now, so please be careful so you don't make the same mistake I made.

Here's a bit of information on passthrough vaping: http://blog.misticecigs.com/what-is-pass-through-vaping

And as for your question about which cheap mods support passthrough, you could try the Innokin Coolfire IV if you prefer not to go too high on your wattage. That one will go up to 40w. Or if you want a bit more power, the Eleaf iStick supports up to 100w and supports passthrough. That one's pretty comparable to my Hohm Slice as far as quality, and my Hohm Slice delivers a great vape for me without going too high on power. Use Google to find those.

The 2 on the left can be, Vaptio C-II and the solo 2
U9CDH8M.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll check all these out.

Sometimes I get people asking me about Vaping and they don't want to deal with batteries and chargers. Ideally They want an aio with pass-through charging. Or something as close to an aio as possible.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've seen a blog post where the mod exploded when vaped while charging. So not worth the risk.

All the MOD's I own are safe to vape while charging so I am not in the least bit concerned and I do not believe what I read on the Internet. RTFM

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
All the MOD's I own are safe to vape while charging so I am not in the least bit concerned and I do not believe what I read on the Internet. RTFM
Believe what you like. It only takes one time to hit an under charged battery. I am saying just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, when there are other, safer options available.
I'll leave it at this, because this is a new user thread and I don't want to go into advanced content. Safer to just say not recommended.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Believe what you like. It only takes one time to hit an under charged battery. I am saying just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, when there are other, safer options available.

You go buy what you read on the Internet and I will go by what I read in my owners manuals or user manuals for the devices I own.

RTFM = Read The Freaking Manual

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are talking about devices you also have no personal experience with also right?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
However, with an internal battery, I am worried it might need charging when I need to vape,

Best answer.. since you haven't purchased yet, buy one with a removable battery.. a charger and extra battery. No down time.. problem solved.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You go buy what you read on the Internet and I will go by what I read in my owners manuals or user manuals for the devices I own.

RTFM = Read The Freaking Manual
I never go by what i read on the internet. I go by what I know from months of research into battery safety and stress test results. An internal battery is hardly a comparison to a brand name samsung, sony, lg and is most likely a made in china, cheaper by the pound, factory 2nd.
Now what i did see on the internet was a blog post about a mod exploading while being vaped on a charger. I am not saying that caused the mod to explode, it could have been a number of things, however, for maximum safety, I personally, with my knowledge of batteries, would not recommend it.
Like I said.. do what you want to do. Just don't pretend that the manual is the be all and end all answer. Now let me see if i can de-advanced content this....
You do not vape from the charger, you vape on the battery while charging. Hence, the battery is not at full power or else it wouldn't be charging. Follow so far?
An under charged battery has to push electrons faster to meet the wattage being drawn from the device.. Still with me?
Faster electron exchange = more heat. More heat also = faster electron exchange? (You keeping up with this?)
See again faster electron exchange = more heat
More heat = higher risk of venting. Faster electron exchange plus more heat = higher risk of thermal run and..

BOOM!!!
So regardless of what your almighty manual says, you can not argue with physics and chemistry. IE. not recommended. Why take a chance?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So here is proof your knowledge does not cover the device in question. Took me all of 2 seconds to download the manual for the device he is asking about and I can give him the info from the manufacturer and not relying on your months of knowledge. Seems to me it lacks the correct information.;

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You are talking about devices you also have no personal experience with also right?
Actually, yes I do, and I still wouldn't vape off a charger for the afore mentioned reasons.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So here is proof your knowledge does not cover the device in question. Took me all of 2 seconds to down the manual for the device he is asking about and I can give him the info from the manufacturer and not relying on your months of knowledge. Seems to me it lacks the correct information.;
it prove the device will pause charging.. it does NOT prove vaping on an under charged battery is safe.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
it prove the device will pause charging.. it does NOT prove vaping on an under charged battery is safe.

Go argue with Segelei because I already proved to you what the DEVICE MANUFACTURER states. If you want to argue with someone see if they care what you think or have to say. Because I don't.

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I would look into the siegeli 90w classic or the 70w version, both mods have removable batteries and are excellent mods as are most of Siegeli mods.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never go by what i read on the internet. I go by what I know from months of research into battery safety and stress test results. An internal battery is hardly a comparison to a brand name samsung, sony, lg and is most likely a made in china, cheaper by the pound, factory 2nd.
Now what i did see on the internet was a blog post about a mod exploading while being vaped on a charger. I am not saying that caused the mod to explode, it could have been a number of things, however, for maximum safety, I personally, with my knowledge of batteries, would not recommend it.
Like I said.. do what you want to do. Just don't pretend that the manual is the be all and end all answer. Now let me see if i can de-advanced content this....
You do not vape from the charger, you vape on the battery while charging. Hence, the battery is not at full power or else it wouldn't be charging. Follow so far?
An under charged battery has to push electrons faster to meet the wattage being drawn from the device.. Still with me?
Faster electron exchange = more heat. More heat also = faster electron exchange? (You keeping up with this?)
See again faster electron exchange = more heat
More heat = higher risk of venting. Faster electron exchange plus more heat = higher risk of thermal run and..

BOOM!!!
So regardless of what your almighty manual says, you can not argue with physics and chemistry. IE. not recommended. Why take a chance?

This is what I've always read, but why would manufacturers even market passthrough support if they haven't found some way to prevent thermal runaway? Seems kind of like inviting a class action lawsuit to me, and rightly so because this could potentially amount to a hand grenade going off in peoples' hands.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors