Become a Patron!

Can Nichrome coils last more than week?

A week is what my local vape shop said when I bought a roll of Wirefreak and UD nichrome wires, unless it was Anarchist wire, which they said could last a month (don't know if that's true or just a marketing gimmick).
I know the longevity of a coil depends on many factors, so here are a few:
1. I dry burn them daily at 20watts using the running water method.
2. I usually build twisted or parallel coils, and normal coils when I'm lazy.
3. My builds usually range from 0.2-0.4 ohms. And never vape over 4 volts.

I'm really hope they can last least 2 weeks like when used to use kanthal,,

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It really depends how clean the juice vaporizes. You would definitely get a month using unflavored. If you use say Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie that coil would last about an hour. Dry burning over and over again actually decreases the lifespan of the coil. You'll notice the resistance increases.

It really depends how clean the juice vaporizes. You would definitely get a month using unflavored. If you use say Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie that coil would last about an hour. Dry burning over and over again actually decreases the lifespan of the coil. You'll notice the resistance increases.
Ah yes I forgot to mention the juices I usually vape! I usually vape coil-friendly creamy juices, where there's usually little gunk after a full day of vaping. Though I'll have to admit the fruity juices I prefer are overly sweet and there's a lot gunk build up after only half a day. Yeah now that you mentioned it, my coils resistance have been fluctuating between 0.23-0.24 ohms, whereas they were at 0.22 when I first coiled them.

Wow really, months?? That means all this time I've been throwing away perfectly good coils every week! LOL

But is there a way where I can physically tell that the coils need to be replaced?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
To be honest unless you are a super hard head about resistance gradually climbing due to metal crystallizing due heat and cooling, nichrome should last at 3/4 as long as kanthal. Many say that flavor and other factors taper off gradually over time, meh, no math or facts to back it up beyond imagined. On a mech I could see it becoming a factor, but on a regulated, the mod adjusts itself to match the resistance anyway. Personally in my RTA tanks and RDA's I run all my coils until they either pop, I mess them up during a cleaning and re-wick, or I am just bored with them. It's all personal preference, that line from the shop you were at was just a sales gimmick, don't fall for it, run the way you want short haul or long haul or in between. Save more money, play long haul, money isn't a factor you can play the mid to short haul games.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't buy my wire from B&Ms. You can get 500 feet for what they charge for 100 feet. Temcoindustrial.com and kidneypuncher.com is where I get my wire.

VU Sponsors