Become a Patron!

Can someone explain coil building to me?

Sam_Vapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm mostly referring to the whole surface area vs resistance thing. What difference do both of those things have on wattage, flavor, etc?

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, hmmm... Where do I start?

I guess the first thing is, to keep things in perspective, what setup(s) do you have? What have you tried building so far? Your questions can have very broad answers, so it'll be a lot easier to explain (and understand) if we can narrow down the specifics a little bit.

Sam_Vapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, hmmm... Where do I start?

I guess the first thing is, to keep things in perspective, what setup(s) do you have? What have you tried building so far? Your questions can have very broad answers, so it'll be a lot easier to explain (and understand) if we can narrow down the specifics a little bit.
I'm gonna get a Griffin 25 and an X Cube Mini

EDIT: If I didn't make it obvious, I don't have anything yet. I wanna know what gauge to get before I jump into anything.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
24-28.
Preference mostly.
22 is to slow and a royal bitch to work with imho for me.
24 is my sweet spot I run .18-.28 builds.
.26 and 28 just meh for me.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Honestly, @BigNasty is correct. That's the perfect place to start. That's where I started. Once you're comfortable there, then move on to parallel builds and Clapton wire. Take it a step at a time, or you'll easily become inundated with information overload. There are a LOT of possibilities waiting for you once you master the basics.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Seriously, you will start out better than I did. Everyone does... :(
This is a pic of my first build from about a year ago. It completely sucks, and now I own a medium to high end custom coil business.

My First Build.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Seriously, you will start out better than I did. Everyone does... :(
This is a pic of my first build from about a year ago. It completely sucks, and now I own a medium to high end custom coil business.

View attachment 52639
This pic always makes me giggle...especially thinking how far you've come since that pic!!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like making you giggle. :p:D

Sam_Vapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, do I want more or less surface area? What does surface area even do?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's not important right now. It'll come into play later in more intermediate/advanced builds. For right now, the surface area between X number of wraps using 20 gauge wire or 40 gauge wire can be the same, depending on the number of wraps. But the thickness will be quite different, giving you a HUGE difference in resistance. More surface area generally equates with more vapor and/or flavor.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I thought he used Ribs to wrap on.....They always tasted better then other coils Ive had...still trying to figure out his secret ingredients

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OMG......
scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large_zpsdfsh13zl.gif

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A coil is a length of wire wrapped around a jig a number of times.

Given the same wire the more wraps the higher the resistance and obviously less wraps means less resistance.

Surface area is how much wire is touching the wick. The coil vaporizes the juice off the wick so more surface area equals more vapor which also equates to more flavor. But there are more variables to surface area.

Which brings me to different wire gauges and resistances. If you stick with the same wire and want more surface area you will add more wraps and the resistance will go up which is why people go for a lower gauge wire to get more surface area and keep the resistance down. If the voltage stays the same and the resistance declines then the wattage will rise.

Man I hate that ecigs are so....hard to explain because there is much much more to say but I don't want to confuse anyone more than I have already.:gaah:

VU Sponsors