Become a Patron!

can the Atlantis sub ohmb coil be rebuilt?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was wondering if anybody has had any success rebuilding the Atlantis stock coil...thx

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have. It involves the complete removal of the guts....being careful to observe how the coil ends assemble in relation to the outer housing and the insulator. One can either replicate the coil using nichrome or kanthal and wrapping a 2mm layer of Japanese cotton around the coil, making sure that all of the coil and legs are fully isolated from the shell of the head....or building it like a WEE version of the Taifun. There are a few YouTube video tutorials up regarding both. This process maintains the resistance (or whatever you want it to be) whilst toning down the throatiness of the vape.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have. It involves the complete removal of the guts....being careful to observe how the coil ends assemble in relation to the outer housing and the insulator. One can either replicate the coil using nichrome or kanthal and wrapping a 2mm layer of Japanese cotton around the coil, making sure that all of the coil and legs are fully isolated from the shell of the head....or building it like a WEE version of the Taifun. There are a few YouTube video tutorials up regarding both. This process maintains the resistance (or whatever you want it to be) whilst toning down the throatiness of the vape.
Very cool..I'll research those videos before attempting.. What size bit do I use to wrap the new coil on? And indeed this is a vertical build, right? Thx

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Very cool..I'll research those videos before attempting.. What size bit do I use to wrap the new coil on? And indeed this is a vertical build, right? Thx
First method is replicated the stock build....I used a 3mm mandrel. For the horizontal "Taifun" style build..I used a 1.5mm mandrel due to space limitations requiring a much smaller gauge of wire in order to hit the target .5 ohms.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can say from experience not to use 20 Gauge Kanthal, I wrapped a coil around a 3mm mandel and it came out to 0.11 Ohms. It vaped great, but way, way too hot and the base of the atty got really hot (thermally, not shorted).

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can say from experience not to use 20 Gauge Kanthal, I wrapped a coil around a 3mm mandel and it came out to 0.11 Ohms. It vaped great, but way, way too hot and the base of the atty got really hot (thermally, not shorted).
I can imagine. Iol
I plan to first use 24g and if that's too hot try 26g...I don't use 20g even in my drippers..

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After watching this and reading what you all have said I'm sold on getting an Atlantis. I was kinda shying away from them because of the silica. That seems easy enough to rebuild and rewick. Thanks for all the insight kind folks!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find them an easy to medium build. I have not ordered an Atlantis. I'm going too. My quest to fill my lungs, BEcauese I don't smoke cigarettes. Nice slow draw.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find them an easy to medium build. I have not ordered an Atlantis. I'm going too. My quest to fill my lungs, BEcauese I don't smoke cigarettes. Nice slow draw.
You probly will like it..when I first got it I thought it was a little lame but today I switched to a 70/30 VG/PG mix and was surprised at the difference it made
in flavor..clouds are still about the same when using 100% VG..I think it was too thick..

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You probly will like it..when I first got it I thought it was a little lame but today I switched to a 70/30 VG/PG mix and was surprised at the difference it made
in flavor..clouds are still about the same when using 100% VG..I think it was too thick..
It is all so much better than cigs.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey YOU! Before I started smoking I Didn't. Then I did. held my breath under water 3:37 seconds. No, that Camaro needs a roll bar.
Oh, Smoking Cigarettes to fit in? Na.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Were from R asrasdtrasdta. Yea, like Blu? Like Black Better, We Getting it! Make change NOW!
I just watch.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad for the tips. Just bought my daughter an Atlantis and was pondering the rebuildability of the coils. (That word gets more entertaining every time you say it. Go ahead, try it...) I used to rebuild Kanger coils before they redesigned them, but I've gone to drippers lately, so wasn't sure about these.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The video above changes the coils from Vertical to horizontal. Not sure the coils will last as long by doing the horizontal build and will you not get flooding verses the vertical coil and cotton around the coil?

I tried many tweaks from that style of rebuild, getting leaks and dry hits. when i do it just like him,
I'm not getting any dry hit this way also get better taste and airflow.
I been using the same coil and wick for about 2 weeks it looks old but its going like new.

I rebuild these with a horizontal build like in the video. I do a spaced wrap coil though and I'm loving it!

Also, I use a small piece of 400 ss mesh folded in half (not shown in pic) to block the other two holes.

Atlantis1.jpg

Sparks

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Found a guy who made a few pics of his build, thought he did a pretty good job if your interested here's the link, http://imgur.com/a/useB8

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Making coils is an art of it's own. Some of mine are pretty, some not so much. But they work, that's what counts.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I rebuild these with a horizontal build like in the video. I do a spaced wrap coil though and I'm loving it!

Also, I use a small piece of 400 ss mesh folded in half (not shown in pic) to block the other two holes.

Atlantis1.jpg
Has the insulator melted? My old days with pro tank coils and he rubber insulator always melted.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pictures were pretty good and informative. I just have to add, When you're twisting coils like this try using a 4-40 or a 6-32 screw. It really helps. Your coils are spot on even and it gives you something to hold on to

VU Sponsors