Become a Patron!

Can you use tanks with pre-made coils on a mech mod?

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kind of a newbie question, I just have no personal experience with mech mods, and a friend of mine wanted to know what his options are to replace a dripper on his mech that bit the dust recently. Can/do people use sub-ohm tanks (with say .3 or .5 pre-made coils) on their mech mods? Or is it blasphemy to use anything other than a dripper on a mech? :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The major concern about using these chinese sub ohm tanks on mechs (which is possible)...is the 510 connection and the contact on the tank....most of the tanks don't have a contact that sit far enough down past their 510 connection to make them safe on some mechs...it's not a matter of mechanics so much as a matter of saftey.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question and good answer, We really need to have a sticky written up to kinda explain this common question, if anyone is game enough to write one up, I'd be glad to make it a sticky in this area:)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
74207102a9b3af720af7a4593c2c30aa.jpg

I had to file a couple threads off the 510 to make the pin extend on the Arctic to use with a hybrid top cap, seen here
d05f30d5ea34b518c61940f7835a0e0c.jpg
Arctic with the .2 ohm coil vapes at about 64w on a fully charged batt seen here on my stainless 26650 BFM mech..this mod uses a hybrid top cap so again I modified the pin to extend about 2mm to be safe..BTW, been running this set-up about 18 months now..vapes great for me...safely!
cb044846b8514471133450ec01d0885b.jpg
Another modified Arctic on my copper XXIX mech..same .2 ohm coil, and it vapes awesome, except I get only about 8 hrs before 18650 batt needs swapped out....26650 BFM lasts about 12 hrs...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
74207102a9b3af720af7a4593c2c30aa.jpg

I had to file a couple threads off the 510 to make the pin extend on the Arctic to use with a hybrid top cap, seen here
d05f30d5ea34b518c61940f7835a0e0c.jpg
Arctic with the .2 ohm coil vapes at about 64w on a fully charged batt seen here on my stainless 26650 BFM mech..this mod uses a hybrid top cap so again I modified the pin to extend about 2mm to be safe..BTW, been running this set-up about 18 months now..vapes great for me...safely!
cb044846b8514471133450ec01d0885b.jpg
Another modified Arctic on my copper XXIX mech..same .2 ohm coil, and it vapes awesome, except I get only about 8 hrs before 18650 batt needs swapped out....26650 BFM lasts about 12 hrs...

got a brass surfrider from BCV about 3 days ago ...I'm really loving this mod..that BFM really has my eye.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
got a brass surfrider from BCV about 3 days ago ...I'm really loving this mod..that BFM really has my eye.
I kinda wished I ordered the brass surfrider instead of the copper XXIX.. Don't get me wrong, the XXIX is one if the hardest hitting mechs I've ever owned but it's high maintenance polishing it all the time, lol
I also noticed James at BCV has really cut the prices on his mods lately, maybe I'll order a surfrider, lololo

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I kinda wished I ordered the brass surfrider instead of the copper XXIX.. Don't get me wrong, the XXIX is one if the hardest hitting mechs I've ever owned but it's high maintenance polishing it all the time, lol
I also noticed James at BCV has really cut the prices on his mods lately, maybe I'll order a surfrider, lololo

yeah the price made it hard to pass up...I love the htbrid adapter design...but I've also poppped in a couple of ultra thin mylar washer to sit on top of the battery ..just a fail safe, that makes it impossible for the 510 connection to touch the battery.copper is real pretty when it's polished, and real ugly when tarnished, I was thinking of getting the Origenny for dual wicks and thought the BFM would be a better mod for it.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome guys, thanks!

Ya, safety was my major concern. I really should read up more on mechs, as it's a complete blindspot in my otherwise well-informed vaping hobby.

So, is it enough to look for a sub-ohm tank with an adjustable 510 pin? Or might some modifications need to be made anyway (filing down the 510 threads on the tank), depending on his mech? Also, would running a .5 ohm coil work ok on a mech? What's the general consensus on what is too high an ohm to be run safely on a mech mod?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah the price made it hard to pass up...I love the htbrid adapter design...but I've also poppped in a couple of ultra thin mylar washer to sit on top of the battery ..just a fail safe, that makes it impossible for the 510 connection to touch the battery.copper is real pretty when it's polished, and real ugly when tarnished, I was thinking of getting the Origenny for dual wicks and thought the BFM would be a better mod for it.
I think the BFM would be a great choice for that..good idea about the mylar washer too..it pays to think safety using these hybrid caps..

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome guys, thanks!

Ya, safety was my major concern. I really should read up more on mechs, as it's a complete blindspot in my otherwise well-informed vaping hobby.

So, is it enough to look for a sub-ohm tank with an adjustable 510 pin? Or might some modifications need to be made anyway (filing down the 510 threads on the tank), depending on his mech? Also, would running a .5 ohm coil work ok on a mech? What's the general consensus on what is too high an ohm to be run safely on a mech mod?
Because a mech will only vape at what voltage your batt is, fully charged it is around 4.2v.. according to ohms law a .5 ohm coil will pull only about 8A at about 35w, seen here
f35c02df583f6115d7c8fe488ef67797.jpg
for me that's a lame vape,
6537750160989667e66e1478c1e68071.jpg
but when I use the the .2 ohm coil you can see it pulls about 21A at 88w on a fully charged batt...this is a much more enjoyable vape for me compared to the .5 coil... Study up on ohms law and how it relates to batt safety when using a mech..

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally use my Vengeance tank on my colonial mod,but it also has a adjustable 510 and adjustable pin for the battery.

VU Sponsors