Become a Patron!

Can't charge RX200S with USB?

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got RX200S, and I wasn't aware of how much you really needed a external charger...
I order'd one but it won't arrive for 7 days...
When putting in 3 LG H2's it just says "Imbalanced batteries".
I have had it usb charging for about 5 hours now and it hasn't even gone past 20 % battery life...
I don't know if it's even charging or doing anything, or if I should let it overnight charge..?

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It shouldn't have changed the charge circuit much (?) from the original and mine (RX) is the same 1A as all the other current JTech mods (real world... 0.9-0.95A) so you can see how long it would take to charge three 2500-3000 mAh cells... a long time.

But still... your account doesn't sound right.

First thing I would do is test with another USB charging cable.
If you don't have another, I'd try the data function of the one it came with just to see if that's working.

It's easy enough to downgrade then re-upgrade these JT mods, so I'd move on to that in the hopes that some firmware glitch may get cleared by the process (is there an RXS .bin file update available to try with?).

Unfortunately... none of those suggestions will show a clear quick result. Might take an hour or more at least. But I think you need to try.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should always use married pairs (or in this case a threesome) and always charge externaly.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should always use married pairs (or in this case a threesome) and always charge externaly.

I suppose it's more likely to be a case of not having a trio ready to go and just grabbing three singles of different charge states.
I forget the cutoff for the RX, but IIRC it's around 0.3v difference and it won't fire.
My default thought is the bargain USB cables... my bad.

So Nugget... do you have a dedicated Utah set of batteries (3-way marriage) ? :p

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suppose it's more likely to be a case of not having a trio ready to go and just grabbing three singles of different charge states.
I forget the cutoff for the RX, but IIRC it's around 0.3v difference and it won't fire.
My default thought is the bargain USB cables... my bad.

So Nugget... do you have a dedicated Utah set of batteries (3-way marriage) ? :p

I have 3 of the same batteries, they are not all the same charge level... I do not have a external charger yet... So I left the USB Charger in the RX200s all night to see if it actually would charge... It appears it did not even charge at all it is still only at 20 %...

The display screen even showed that it was "charging" I am guessing the thing is broken.

The charging screen showed it was charging for 6 hours yesterday, now it no longer displays it's charging but it's been "charging" for a total of like 14 hours... and is not even at half.

Since I have to wait 7 days for my charger to get shipped to me, should I just charge the batteries to full 1 by 1 in my IPV D3? I doubt I'll ever use that again now that this device is so much better.

Though I think externally charging batteries on a RX is stupid... Taking the back off is very difficult for me

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
sounds like your source of charging my on be .5 amps which would break the charge into .166 amps per battery in series this would take as long as 20+hours check your source to make sure its actually putting out a 1amp charge

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sounds like your source of charging my on be .5 amps which would break the charge into .166 amps per battery in series this would take as long as 20+hours check your source to make sure its actually putting out a 1amp charge

Using the USB Port, and used my PC, also used a wall port...
Only option I seem to have is to charge it in the IPV D3, 1 battery at a time.. It will take all day...
When buying the product it did say you can charge it with the USB charger. So I am not really getting what I paid for since usb charging is so glitchy.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Using the USB Port, and used my PC, also used a wall port...
Only option I seem to have is to charge it in the IPV D3, 1 battery at a time.. It will take all day...
When buying the product it did say you can charge it with the USB charger. So I am not really getting what I paid for since usb charging is so glitchy.
As I said make sure that the wall wart is a 1amp unit.. Many people do not understand that the original USB charging spec was .5 amps and many laptops will default to the original spec and not even put out 1amp same with wal warts especially the cheap ones from Walgreens or the dollar store..
Now having said this I myself have tested charging on the RX series and it is painfully slow sadly your only recourse is to externally charge ..

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't get how anyone can bear taking off the back.. Taking out 3 hard to get out batteries, sticking them in an external charger.. Then putting them back in every single day...

It is hard enough to take the back piece off of this thing , and I cannot even get the back 2 batteries out.. Jesus

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 New cells
Carge/discharge together forever.
It's the way of the rx200 world..

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 New cells
Carge/discharge together forever.
It's the way of the rx200 world..

That would be easy if the batteries weren't stuck in there...
Tried pulling them out.. Using tweezers ... Tried banging device on table they wont come out.

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be sure your Mod is TURNED OFF before inserting metal objects in there.
No Ribbon to remove batteries?..

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, charge all 3 separately in your d3 so they are all getting to 4.2v and then you should be able to charge in your rx until you get your external charger.
I have heard people say that the rx balance charges but I think it just has protection against chearging or firing cells that are too far apart in voltage level. You dont want to charge three different voltage level cells together in something that doesn't balance charge or you may end up with 2 cells at 4.3v and one at 4.0v but it reads the total voltage 12.6... you just ruined 2 cells.

Can't get the batteries out of the rx? It doesn't have the ribbon that you put behind the cells to pull them out?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get how anyone can bear taking off the back.. Taking out 3 hard to get out batteries, sticking them in an external charger.. Then putting them back in every single day...

It is hard enough to take the back piece off of this thing , and I cannot even get the back 2 batteries out.. Jesus

I take mine out before I go to bed, throw them in the charger and they are ready for the entire next day. That is not an inconvenience. Having a single cell mod that you need to cary one or two extra cells with you to get through the day is inconvenient ;)

The mod has a cut out on each side of the door so you can grab an edge and pop the door off. It really isn't difficult, like maybe 5lbs of force. You shouldn't need wheaties in the morning to tackle that one.

Last edited:

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I just opened a brand new RX200S put in 3 batteries and took them out in like 20 seconds. Either you have the wrong batteries or something wrong with your mod. You do know about the pull tab thinging right?

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Do not use 3 individual batteries buy 3 new ones and charge and discharge them as a set.

Do not charge batteries inside an RX200 it can not balance charge.

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I forgot to put the band thing behind the batteries... Stuck some metal thing in there and got them to come out. They're all the same batts and volts...
I saw people get their RX200s to show the battery percentage on the display screen instead of the little icon. How can I do that?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turn it off, then hold fire and down button for a few seconds.
I remembered it being inaccurate from the one time I used that function but checking it now gave me 3.98 - 4.00 - 4.00.

Last edited:

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I remembered it being inaccurate from the one time I used that function but checking it now gave me 3.98 - 4.00 - 4.00.

The site I order' battery from sent me on thats different even thogh it said LG H2 3000 MAH 3.7 V it says IMR in front of it.
And thank you.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The site I order' battery from sent me on thats different even thogh it said LG H2 3000 MAH 3.7 V it says IMR in front of it.
And thank you.

You don't say where you are and some of our 5 or 6 preferred battery vendors have shipping restrictions outside of the US.

But wherever you buy... I'd stay away from the LG HG2 for now. Not only are they being aggressively counterfeited (thanks to their popularity) but I think they're overpriced for the small amount of extra runtime they provide. I expect I have all the HG2s I'm ever going to own.

Because the Reuleaux (any triple 18650 really) is putting less demand on each battery up to about 180 watts... any of our top brand 20A batteries are perfectly suited (Samsung, Sony, LG).

I'm partial to my LG HE4s and Samsung 25Rs, both available (Authentic) for $5 or a bit less. but if I were going to run my RX between 200w and it's 250w max... I'd shop for some of the very few, but tested and trusted, 25-30A batteries.

---

Using the D3 to charge the 3 you have is a way to see what's going on with the RXS, but I can't recommend using them much if at all in the RXS if they have greatly differing amounts of use and charge cycles between them. Fresh, quality, married batteries are the way to go.

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried turning off and fire and down buttion didn't work...
Honestly hate this thing seems like the worst mod lol... Everything is wrong with it

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly hate this thing seems like the worst mod lol... Everything is wrong with it

Not so.

The batt cover comes off easily if you grip it the right way.
And the batteries come out easily as well... the ribbon is there for a reason. :)

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not so.

The batt cover comes off easily if you grip it the right way.
And the batteries come out easily as well... the ribbon is there for a reason. :)

I'm talking about seeing the battery percentage rather then the icon... The user manual says "When battery flashes press right regulartory buttion to change battery display". I don't even know how the 'battery' is going to flash and pressing right just ups the watts...

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm talking about seeing the battery percentage rather then the icon... The user manual says "When battery flashes press right regulartory buttion to change battery display". I don't even know how the 'battery' is going to flash and pressing right just ups the watts...

I was addressing your difficulties with the back half of the mod. :p

But for the various click/press functions... the RXS brings with it a new firmware version, or the latest RX which I haven't bothered with yet, so I'll let someone else try to figure that one out (I'm not sure I understand what you're describing).

For display of the individual charge levels (accuracy not guaranteed :) ), as said... 5 clicks OFF, then hold Fire and Down for about six seconds.

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was addressing your difficulties with the back half of the mod. :p

But for the various click/press functions... the RXS brings with it a new firmware version, or the latest RX which I haven't bothered with yet, so I'll let someone else try to figure that one out (I'm not sure I understand what you're describing).

For display of the individual charge levels (accuracy not guaranteed :) ), as said... 5 clicks OFF, then hold Fire and Down for about six seconds.

In the guide and on the website they show that you can show the battery percentage rather then just the icon... In the instructions it says "When battery flash press the right regulatory button". Yes in that bad english lol... But I don't know how to get battery to flash.

And I did hold down the buttions while it was off...
Seems all my battery voltages are different which idk is bad or not.
Reuleaux-RX200S_14.jpg

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I haven't looked to add another Reuleaux so I completely forgot we've gotten a new VTC style Portrait display for the RXS. Oops. :oops:

My first guess would be that the batt display will be in the rotation the way the modes are.

Were it me, I'd try... 3 clicks for mode change, then see if Up or Down will get the batt icon to flash (selected), the other should toggle through its' display options.

It's almost certainly a variation of how we change modes, display parameters and TCR mem slots on the VTC, Presa and Cuboid (3 click, Down to move through the items that can be changed, Up to change the value, Fire or just wait to Exit).

Play with it... see what works.
Of course you could re-read the manual, but where's the fun in that? :p

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I did hold down the buttions while it was off...
Seems all my battery voltages are different which idk is bad or not.

They should all be close and no more than I believe 0.3v difference for the mod to fire.

I still can't advise using them if they're much different in use and charge cycles, but you'll still want to get them close in charge level, probably with the D3.

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I haven't looked to add another Reuleaux so I completely forgot we've gotten a new VTC style Portrait display for the RXS. Oops. :oops:

My first guess would be that the batt display will be in the rotation the way the modes are.

Were it me, I'd try... 3 clicks for mode change, then see if Up or Down will get the batt icon to flash (selected), the other should toggle through its' display options.

It's almost certainly a variation of how we change modes, display parameters and TCR mem slots on the VTC, Presa and Cuboid (3 click, Down to move through the items that can be changed, Up to change the value, Fire or just wait to Exit).

Play with it... see what works.
Of course you could re-read the manual, but where's the fun in that? :p

I actually read the manual and tried what it said, also tried the 3 clicks and pressing up / down.... Nothing works to get that battery percentage screen...

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually read the manual and tried what it said, also tried the 3 clicks and pressing up / down.... Nothing works to get that battery percentage screen...

Ok... I just grabbed the manual.

Like our VTCs, you can change display options like the Amps/Puff Count/Time meter in the bottom left corner.

My guess is... if you can 3 click to get that to flash so you can Right button cycle through the options... then a Left click will cycle through the available selections on that screen.
For the VW (Power Mode) screen those should be the actual mode (VW, TC, TCR), the Amp/Puff/Time display and the battery display.

Get the batt icon to flash and then toggle its' display.

---

And I (and others) may owe you a partial apology about removing the inner batteries.

The positive terminal "rings" molded into the battery sled are JayBo's innovative, but PITA, solution to the DNA200 board's lack of "reverse polarity protection".

They're neither needed nor used in the RX as the Wismec board has that function built-in.

I didn't realize until seeing the pics on the Wismec site that they've apparently used a DNA Reuleaux sled in the RXS. Sorry.

You need to get a grip on the cell and press to depress the spring loaded button (?) so the positive end will come free of the raised ring. Reverse to install.

I haven't heard that it's particularly difficult... just that the ring will tear battery wraps if you're not careful.

---

Oh crap, just remembered... there's also an issue of some 18650s being a couple of mm shorter than average. That's normally not an issue, but can be with those sled rings... a sharp bump can cause a momentary loss of connectivity and the mod will power down.

The Samsung 25R is one of those batteries. :(

Last edited:

McNuggetLover

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok... I just grabbed the manual.

Like our VTCs, you can change display options like the Amps/Puff Count/Time meter in the bottom left corner.

My guess is... if you can 3 click to get that to flash so you can Right button cycle through the options... then a Left click will cycle through the available selections on that screen.
For the VW (Power Mode) screen those should be the actual mode (VW, TC, TCR), the Amp/Puff/Time display and the battery display.

Get the batt icon to flash and then toggle its' display.

---

And I (and others) may owe you a partial apology about removing the inner batteries.

The positive terminal "rings" molded into the battery sled are JayBo's innovative, but PITA, solution to the DNA200 board's lack of "reverse polarity protection".

They're neither needed nor used in the RX as the Wismec board has that function built-in.

I didn't realize until seeing the pics on the Wismec site that they've apparently used a DNA Reuleaux sled in the RXS. Sorry.

You need to get a grip on the cell and press to depress the spring loaded button (?) so the positive end will come free of the raised ring. Reverse to install.

I haven't heard that it's particularly difficult... just that the ring will tear battery wraps if you're not careful.

---

Oh crap, just remembered... there's also an issue of some 18650s being a couple of mm shorter than average. That's normally not an issue, but can be with those sled rings... a sharp bump can cause a momentary loss of connectivity and the mod will power down.

The Samsung 25R is one of those batteries. :(

Omg I got it to show the battery percentage :). Thank you for your informative response.
It seems you have to keep pressing the thing 3 times, then use the down buttion to go through the different things on the screen, then use the up buttion to change them. Very confusing but I got it to work lol...

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad you got it.

It's not confusing... just unique. :p

We all went through it when the VTC arrived last fall. You get used to it pretty fast.
Having to power down to set the TCR values... now that's annoying.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I know this is an old thread, but I have to weigh in. I have both the RX200S and the RX 2/3 and you CAN charge both via USB. Now it is not recommended, but I do it all the time and take the batteries out once a month for a good charge on my external. As far as balanced or not, my batteries all seem to be charging/discharging at a remarkably similar rate. How do I know? Because when I do pull them out and put them in the external, they are almost identical in remaining charge. I do however, make sure to rotate positions when I replace them in the box. I started with 3 brand new HG2's. I'm a chain vaper and they will easily last me 3 days on a charge with a TFV8 octuple coil at 120 watts (I can't say the same for my juice supply). After the 3rd day I leave my box plugged in to charge over night. What I love is the pass through charging so I can still vape if I "need" to on charging night.

Now for removing the battery cover... Duuuuuude... are your hands/fingers really that weak??? If you struggle that much to pull some tiny magnets apart, I can't even imagine how much of a daily struggle it is for you to wipe your butt or pick your nose. I'm a woman with small hands and I have NO trouble pulling the back off. You seriously need to eat more protein and get checked by a doctor. Just sayin... it's not that difficult so you're either having other issues or you're just being lazy.

I love both my Reuleauxs, but if you're looking for USB charging on a device that's similar but easier to change batteries on, look at the IPV6X. I have the IPV 3 li, 5 & 6X as well as the 2 RXs and It's a daily struggle to decide which baby to play with, but my RX2/3 usually wins. The IPV6X has USB charging, a super easy battery door and most of the same features. It doesn't sound like you need that many features so the IPV6X should be good enough for you and it's only $40... Plus it's a tank just like all the others I've mentioned. I think you really could throw any of them against a brick wall and they'd survive. In fact... as the Florida/UT game is about to begin, I may be testing that today. GO VOLS!!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some of the issues I see posted about the RX200S surprise me all the time. I have no problems with mine and charge Via USB when I am lazy or just want to top the charge off when no really depleted. I wish the cover took more effort to remove IMO.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some of the issues I see posted about the RX200S surprise me all the time. I have no problems with mine and charge Via USB when I am lazy or just want to top the charge off when no really depleted. I wish the cover took more effort to remove IMO.
I can't agree more. I think some people just look for a reason to not like a particular mod. IMO the 200S and 2/3 are darn near perfect for feel and function. It does concern me that somebody like the OP was sold an advanced device like this with so little information as far as using new batteries, etc. I realize he may have ordered online, but without educating himself first, he could have a ticking time bomb in his hand. I met a dude that had a 2/3 with new Panasonic batteries rated to 7.5 amps (or something like that) and he was vaping at 120 watts with a .15ohm coil... I showed him the math and needless to say he immediately bought 20 amp batteries. But again, the shop he bought it from didn't know what they were doing and he didn't research. It's a scary combo.

While we are at it, since you're guilty of the big bad USB charging like me, have you noticed any issues with yours not charging if the batteries are over 85%? I've had that happen once or twice and wasn't sure if that was Wismec's design to protect us or if my box was being temperamental. I've tried the topping off to be safe, but it seems like it won't go to charging if the batteries are still mostly charged, but to be honest it was only once or twice so I'm kind of leaning towards mine acting up when it was new. LOL

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think it's the mod. I think it's you. Changing between functions and display options is pretty simple.

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
press fire 3 time rapidly, this will take you to the menu where your can change mode ie TC Battery indication

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Banshee I have charged my RX200S a few times using the USB and always shows are 100%.
10-4. Mine must have just been acting up. It hasn't happened since, but I have been running the bats down to about 20%bsince that happened. I'm guessing it was definitely user error. LOL I've also done the 2 updates since that happened so who knows. As long as it keeps working like it's supposed to, I'm not going to worry about it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had my RX200S updated to the version of the firmware released on the 4th of July so I had the ability to go the 250W but noticed that the battery life had decreased. I had seen a post from another user who said the same thing so I rolled it back to the 4.00 again.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had my RX200S updated to the version of the firmware released on the 4th of July so I had the ability to go the 250W but noticed that the battery life had decreased. I had seen a post from another user who said the same thing so I rolled it back to the 4.00 again.
Really? How big of a difference was it? I updated mine to the 4.12 right out of the box and then the newest one the other day. I'm all about battery life and I never go over 150 watts anyways. Would you recommend me rolling mine back? I don't do the logo crap and stuff, so really don't think I'd lose much if I did.

VU Sponsors