Become a Patron!

Cant get the tight coils you see on youtube :(

Swindler

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok so i have been trying to practice coil building but could never create a coil with no space, i always getting space between wraps. Have a few built and ready but not wicked as not sure with the space between the wraps is good or bad for MOD.

As usual i did not googling and no firm answer, few places it mentions that spaced wraps can create a short or could have heat sports etc etc....

Appreciate your inputs......is it ok to used coils which have space between wraps/

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you mount your coils, get a pair of pliers or tweezers, and give them a firm squeeze together. Pulse the coils so they glow gently (As long as you are using Kanthal or SS), then continue doing this to remove hotspots. DON"T squeeze while firing if you are using metal tweezers or pliers though.

You can make spaced coils, but for this you will want a space between every wrap, not randomly across the coil. For a contact coil, you want no gaps.

As you continue to build you will get better at avoiding gaps, but will probably always have to do a little tweaking to remove hotspots.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use a tensioned coil winder..........

I use a homemade copy of the Artistic Wire Coil gizmo..... the real tool can be found at hobby lobby and other crafting stores.

With this tool I wrapped perfect contact coil that require no use of tweezers and perfectly spaced non contact coils

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What I usually do is wrap on a drill bit but I know the first 2 aren't any good because they are near my thumb so I don't count those. Once I'm done I'll unwrap the first 2 wraps.

Go slow and make sure each wrap is right next to each other and once it looks ok I'll put the coil(s) on the rba and get them glowing then squeeze the coil but not too tight just enough to rid the gaps. Cool and repeat.

VU Sponsors