Become a Patron!

Can't tell if its time to change the coil/cheap rebuildable tanks?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've had my CE5 eGo Clearomizer and iJoy 650mah Variable Voltage Battery starter kit for a couple of weeks now. I have no idea when to change the head because there is still no burning smell. I have several different flavor juices and can barely taste them anymore, so is it time to change the coil/wick? I'm confused because I thought you change it when you taste burning, but I do not taste that. Also, should I continue with the CE5 and get replacement heads (8 bucks for 5) or just buy a different type of tank with replaceable heads? I do like the CE5, but I want something with cheaper replacement heads that fits my battery if possible. The CE5 tank/atomizer goes for 4 bucks. Any tanks around that price but with cheaper/longer lasting heads? Or a tank with very easily rebuilt coils/wicks? It must fit my iJoy battery. Thank you

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its time to change... They dont have to 'burn', they can get gunked up and not wick properly (dry hit) or heat up correctly (no vapor).

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its time to change... They dont have to 'burn', they can get gunked up and not wick properly (dry hit) or heat up correctly (no vapor).
Still vapor coming out in the same amount as when it was new, just no distinct taste. I have rinsed it a few times and fired the wet coil to clean off gunk like YouTube videos said.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you've been using the same juice the whole time, you might have developed vaper's tongue for the flavor. If another flavor in the same tank doesn't have much taste, then I'd swap it out.

I'm not all high tech with rebuildable tanks, I use a simple protank 2 or a mini protank 2. Easy to rebuild, stock coils are about $6 for 5 if you don't want to rebuild. The coils fit the regular size and the mini, they also fit evod tanks. There are a bunch of options for different tanks and rebuilding coils. That's what I use, been going strong for over a year with them. I have a couple drippers, but they're just not my thing, I've discovered.

As far as tanks go, you'll hopefully get a lot of suggestions. I started with the kind you're using, too.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have been using the same clearo for 2 weeks, it's time to change it out. I would do so, at a minimum, every week.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have four different tobacco/cigar flavors and three other misc. flavors. I change them every time I refill and there is barely a difference. So no, I'm not used to the flavors, maybe it is time for a new coil.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, muted taste could be one sign it's time for a new coil, though burnt/dry hits are more common. For basic gear I was always a fan of the Kanger line (protank./evod/aero tank), though I've been dripping so long that my knowledge base isn't too fresh...I hear lots of people are more into Aspire stuff for disposable heads these days.

Have a Nautilus clone on the way for my mother-in-law to try out, though it's not here yet. Hoping it's an improvement, she hasn't had success with the Kanger stuff I've bought her though she needs to try to cut her smoking as she's caring for my cancer patient grandmother and can't smoke around her...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I always thought the ce 4 & 5 tanks were disposables.

Get yourself a protank 2 mini or some single coil EVODS and some coils...watch youtube to see how to rebuild them and that tank can last you for years...I still use kanger protank 2's and evods and love them...My evods are over 1 yr old and still my favorites so far.

VU Sponsors