Become a Patron!

CAPT'N 220W KIT - Vaptio

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Capt'n 220w Kit from Vaptio. The Capt'n 220w Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Bear from Vaptio.

https://vaptio.com/catalogue/captn-220w-kit_1499/

https://vaptio.com/productbuy/productbuy_1499/

Introduction

The Capt'n Kit is the latest from the Super Heroes series of devices from Vaptio, this is were i usually with these devices defend Vaptio pointing out why i don't believe these devices are aimed at children, just look at the plain packaging and make your own mind up my opinion hasn't changed. The kit comprises of the Capt'n 220w TC mod and Capt'n tank. I make no apologies for liking Vaptio devices and rate their products very highly whether it be their earlier starter kits, pod devices, vape pens or more recently their high powered devices, so i will get on and give my thoughts on the Capt'n Kit.

In the Box

Contents:

1× Vaptio Capt'N Mod
1× Vaptio Capt'N Tank
Spare parts
1x Frogman - W2 coil
1x Frogman - W8 coil (pre-installed)
1× USB Cable
2× Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Capt'n Kit comes in typical Vaptio packaging and the first thing i noticed was it's a very small dual 18650 device, on picking the device up i also found it to be quite light. The lightness of the device is due to IML material being used which is lightweight while still being strong and durable, it's the same finish used on the Vaporesso Revenger series of device's and like those devices has a mirror like shiny metallic finish which makes it a fingerprint magnet. The device is wider at the back of the device and the sides slope inwards making the front narrower giving the device a nice ergonomic feel in the hand. The device comes in various designs between White on chosen colour designs and etched groove designs, i received the Blue version, it's also available in Black, Red, Green, Gold, Pink and Rainbow all come with a matching colour tank. The front of the device has large round blue fire button with a Silver star and outer rim, the button it'self sits flush with the device with the star protruding. Below is the large 1.3" colour screen and further down still the nice sized square - and + buttons, the navigational buttons are spaced nicely. Finally central bottom we have the micro USB port, the top of the front of the device see's an etched grooved star design which i find better than the white lines design which is on some of the colours. The back of the device see's "CAPT'N" printed at the top in Silver and also in Silver branding and safety stamps at the bottom, again we have the same etched grooved star design. Apart from the vaptio logo down one side both sides are featureless with the bottom of the device having some grooves to get your fingernails into to help open the battery door. The top of the device see's a 510 plate with star design brought forward towards the front of the device, the Gold plated 510 is spring loaded and is designed not to let liquid from a leaking tank into the device.

Capt'n Kit Specs and Features:

Parameters

Size: 126mm * 33mm * 42mm
Material: Zinc Alloy+ IML Technology
Juice Capacity: 2ml/4ml
Output Mode: VW/TC/Smart/CCW/CCT/Bypass
Battery: 2*18650 Battery(not included)
Output Wattage: 10-220W
Screen Size: 1.3inch Color TFT, 240*240 ppi
Fring Speed: 0.005s
Resistance Range: 0.1-5.0ohm
Coil Type: Frogman W2 0.4ohm (30-80W, best at 45-65W)
Frogman W8 0.15ohm (60-80W, best at 50-110W)
Filling Liquid: Screw-to-open Top Refilling
Adjustable Airflow: Bottom
USB Charging for Current: DC 5V/2A

Features
1. Processed by advanced IML Technology(Samsung Shell Technology)
2. Made of Zinc Alloy, light weight Kit
3. 220W max output(2 x 18650), 0.005s firing speed, 1.3inch HD color display with cool interface
4. Six output modes, VW, TC, CCW, Smart, Bypass and CCT Modes
5. 4ml/2ml CAPT'N TANK, screw-to-open top refilling and adjustable bottom airflow
6. 0.4ohm Frogman W2 Coil and 0.15ohm Frogman W8 Coil(compatible with other mainstream multicore coils)
7. Anti-leak patent technology, Upgradeable firmware, 2A quick charge

Colours: Black, Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Pink, Rainbow

Capt'n Tank Overview

The Capt'n tank is an aesthetically pleasing, good quality stock coil sub-ohm tank, simple in design but as i would expect from vaptio well made. It has a standard top fill system, simply unscrew the top-cap and fill via one of the 2 generous fill ports. The coils screw straight into the base and the Capt'n tank uses the Frogman coils which also mean a lot of mainstream coils will fit including Baby beast coils. The coils provided are the pre-installed W8 0.15ohm which is rated at between 50w and 110w and the W2 0.4ohm which is rated at between 30w and 80w. The dual cyclops with stopper airflow control ring has heavy texturing and moves with perfect resistance.
The tank holds 4ml of liquid and i assume the EU version which has an advertised capacity of 2ml will just have a removable bung fitted (that is an assumption).

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using the Capt'n

The batteries are fitted via the bottom hatch door which doesn't seem the best when open but with batteries fitted fastens securely, orientation is clearly marked inside and A plus B is marked in white but the - and + orientation is just Gold on Gold and can't easily be seen. The device is the normal 5 clicks on and off and the device loads up extremely quickly i also find the scrolling spot on when setting wattage or temperature, not too slow or too fast, just right. The display seems far brighter than on their previous device the Super Bat Mod, but still no brightness adjustment option. All the normal information you would expect is displayed on the screen which is set out very nicely and in my opinion Vaptio have done a good job with the display on the main screen and throughout the menu system, i particularly like when navigating the feature available for selection appears to have a backlight. To enter the menu is 3 clicks of the fire button and when in the menu system navigation is done using the - and + buttons and fire selects. The menu screen brings up 4 options which are, Mode, Settings, Theme and back, selecting Theme gives you the choice of 2 different themes which are really just a change in the main colour used in the display. Selecting Mode brings up the following options, Smart (pre-heat options), VW, TC (selecting this gives the following options, SS, NI, Ti, NiCr, M1, M2 and M3), CCW, CCT and bypass. Selecting Settings brings up a number of options which are, system settings (gives you system info and the option to restore the device), mode setting (this brings up TC, which allows you to choose between Celsius and Fahrenheit and enter TCR values and it also brings up CCW and CCT which allows you to set custom curves), vape time, sleep time (selecting this allows you to set different settings for turning off the screen and device), puff manager, and Language (when selecting this it brings up a number of languages but on my sample version only English can be selected. The menu system is user friendly helped by having on each screen both a back and home option you can select. The navigational and fire button barely protrude and the navigational buttons take quite a click so the device shouldn't alter wattage or settings by accident but the buttons can be locked and unlocked by pressing the - and + buttons together, when locked the device will not fire.

My Experience Using the Capt'n Kit

I will start by stating i do not use temp control and have no equipment to get factual data so simply review a product as a personal experience. I like this device a lot, it feels great in the hand, looks good and most importantly in my opinion performs superbly. It fires instantly with no noticeable ramp up time and the raised star on the fire button makes it easy to find and is nice and clicky. I love using the curves on the device and navigating the menu is easy, just a good all-round device. As for whether the device does the full claimed 220w i have no idea but Vaptio high powered devices tend to fair better than most so my guess is it will get close but if it's important to you my advice would be check out a tech review with the charts. I used the Capt'n tank as well as a couple of others, when using the Vapefly Galaxies RTA at 15w the device was impressively silent. I used the pre-installed W8 Frogman coil in the Capt'n tank at 70w and it gave a vape full of flavour and more than it's fair share of cloud. Because the 510 is positioned towards the front of the device so the height could be kept to the minimum you are looking at 25mm without overhang with 26 not looking too bad but any bigger will start looking silly. vaptio products always seem efficient and certainly battery life i found to be slightly better than the average dual 18650 device. The capt'n supports 2A charging (i would only charge batteries inside the device if it was your only option) and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Pros

Made well
Durable light material
Small
High powered
Dual battery
Easy to use Menu
Aesthetically pleasing display
Large Screen
Both Wattage and Temp curves
Temp control
Capt'n tank aesthetically pleasing and well made
W8 coil good flavour and cloud
Can use mainstream coils
Fired Instantly
Ergonomic
Good battery life
2A charging
Firmware Upgradeable

Cons

Not clearly marked battery orientation
Fingerprint magnet
Over 25mm tanks will overhang
Heroes Theme will not be liked by everyone

I would once again like to thank Bear from Vaptio for sending the Capt'n Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://vaptio.com/catalogue/captn-220w-kit_1499/

https://vaptio.com/productbuy/productbuy_1499/

VU Sponsors