Become a Patron!

Caravela Lock Ring Stuck

TF450

Member For 4 Years
I am having a problem with the brass locking ring on my Caravela (clone). It is stuck (really stuck) in the unlocked position. Anybody have any tips, ideas, or similar experiences that can help solve this problem? My research found this to be a pretty common problem, yet I have not been able to find a solution. Thank-You

Temple Noble

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Take out the battery and put it in the freezer for an hour. Then try it. :)

Obsolete

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good luck bro... mine has been that way for months & I've tried it ALL.. including vice grips! Let me know how it turns out ;)

TF450

Member For 4 Years
Any luck?
Unfortunately freezing did not help. I had it in the freezer for approx. 3 hrs. but it was still stuck when it came out. I have now disassembled the switch and have the bottom tube section and ring soaking in WD 40. Will let it soak overnight and try again tomorrow.

Mr. Meadows

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I was going to recommend wd-40 as well. Did you get it unstuck?

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
waiting to hear how it is going. have the same problem with another mod. At least I can use it....

Philtheman12

VU Live Host
smack it off a table with like a towel on it, my buddy had a helios clone that had a burr in the threads and the only way to get the air flow ring off was by either dropping it on the floor or smacking it off the table.

TF450

Member For 4 Years
smack it off a table with like a towel on it, my buddy had a helios clone that had a burr in the threads and the only way to get the air flow ring off was by either dropping it on the floor or smacking it off the table.
Will have to give this (smacking) a try tomorrow. Right now I have the thing back in the freezer again. Figured since 3 hours did nothing, I would try freezing it for 24 hours this time. Guess I am getting pretty desperate.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That is what is called a last gasp thing. it works or breaks the table, or the mod.

Temple Noble

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep looking in here to see the outcome. Hoping for the best. :)

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
funny how we are keeping up with this one as we all may need to do the same thing. I was lucky kind of, I was able to wrap mine and used a pipe wrench. No damage but i was lucky...
also hoping for the best.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WD-40 did not work. Ring did not budge. Back to the drawing board.
You try the duct tape method? take a good length of duct tape and cut it in half. Wrap the control ring in the opposite direction of rotation hold the tube firmly and pull the duct tape using it's grip force to help move the control ring. Just to clarify you want to be able to pull the duct tape the same direction that would lock or unlock depending on what position it was stuck in. Also a pic or two might help assess the situation better. Just a thought.

Temple Noble

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I sometimes use a dab of Noalox to prevent this but I do not think I would have done it to the locking ring. :(

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last place i would think would stick, but then, where else would be the worse, The locking Ring.

patjar43

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When you get it to move, take that puppy apart and polish it good.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
I start by disclosing that I do NOT have a Caravella, however, I do have several Nemesis' mods. The lock ring on a Nemesis is significantly wider than on the CAR but I believe the problem with both may be the same ... The lock ring gets stuck in either the "On" or "Off" position and the harder you try to move it the more it wants to stay where it is. With the Nemesis' I've found the reason for this is that the machining has tight tolerances and the more force you use to turn it the tighter you are gripping it and in turn slightly flexing that ring which is actually gripping the threads. Maybe if you try spinning it without gripping it too tight it may free up. I have to work at it sometimes with the Nemesis' but eventually it will move and trust me it will NOT budge an inch if I use a tool or even grip too tight with just my fingers. Hope you are able to get it.

This happened with my caravella as well, good news is it is stuck in neither open or closed.... I know that mine got stuck because i used some dielectric gel on the threads and let it get very dirty.

oh happy day!!!
I got the sap sucker unstuck!!
PB Blaster, get it at auto stores, forgot that I had a can of this stuff. This stuff eats through Styrofoam!
When I got it unlocked there was a large hunk of crud. Off to polish and lube the threads :)

VU Sponsors