Become a Patron!

Carto basics?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I picked up a VTR for my friend and the guy sent a couple tanks with it and one of them was a ibtanked cartomizer..I've never used one before and have no idea on how to use or set it up any advice? I think it might just b the tank and that I need to get the cartomizer itself but like I said I have no idea as to where to even start with one...here's what it looks like
jeqyzymy.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yep, it is just the tank and you need punched carto's to put in it.

Before I go any further, is there a hole on each end surrounded by an o-ring or gasket?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If I am correct, what you need is a punched 510 carto with a plain Jane drip tip on the end.

Lubricate the rubber at both ends and then insert the carto drip tip first up from the bottom until it reaches the top.

Back it up a bit until the top is open enough to allow you to fill the tank with liquid. Push the drip tip back though the top so the body of the carto is just protruding a bit.

Remove the drip tip and drip liquid into the carto until the filling starts to look damp. Replace the drip tip and let it sit a bit.

It should be ready to vape.

Good Lord, it has been a long time since I have done this so I hope I am right!

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's like 8 ways to "prime" a carto (get it wet inside first) - you gotta do that so your first hit won't be dry and "burn" the fluff that's inside. Watch like 3 or 4 Youtube videos on "how to fill a carto tank" or "how to prime a cartomizer" and then you'll be set to go.
I've got some more "advanced" gear (drippers and russians) but I still love my carto-tanks!

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The carto does need to be primed before you take your first vape. You can do it in or out of the tank. IBTanked have this neat little thing appropriately called The Thingy. It is essentially a pill bottle that the filled tank with carto is put in to. You screw on and screw off the cap several times and it forces liquid into the carto. Another member found a way to do the same thing with a ziploc baggie. Of course there are several methods of priming before you install in the tank too. The Thingy is just too easy to mess with any of that.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's like 8 ways to "prime" a carto (get it wet inside first) - you gotta do that so your first hit won't be dry and "burn" the fluff that's inside. Watch like 3 or 4 Youtube videos on "how to fill a carto tank" or "how to prime a cartomizer" and then you'll be set to go.
I've got some more "advanced" gear (drippers and russians) but I still love my carto-tanks!
I typically use drippers and gennies more than anything but figured it's worth learning

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the tooth pick method best. Get a tooth pick, put the tip in the white hole in the top of the carto ( so when you fill the carto with juice to prime it, there wont be any juice in the air hole (the white hole on top) Fill the carfto up about three times and let it soak down, like RJ said, it will get "slushy" om top. That will take 8 to 10 minutes. Just filll it, let it sit up right, about three mins later fill it again, repeat until slushy up top. The priming is the most important part of the life of the carto. Once its primed, your good to go for several days.

My best luck was with a dual laser punched carto. I liked the 3.2 ohm cartos by smok and usually vaped fruit or clear juices at 3.5 to 3.6 volts (10 watts) That 3.2 ohm Carto seemed to last longer than a lower ohm carto. In old Protanks and evods, I liked a 1.5 to 1.8 coil, but not in a carto tank

Be sure the get the right lenght of a carto for that tank. IBTank makes three sizes. It appears that you may have the XL lenth IBTank. Thats a really really great tank. It should not leak, even if the seals are a year and a half old.

As RJ said, Just put a tad of juice on yout seals, or even easier, on your carto and just slide it on.

You also dont have to worry about a flanged or a non flanged carto to go into that tank. The seals are one of the best parts of that tank and it shouldnt slip and slide, even picking a heavy mod up by the tank itself.

When you want to re fill, just slide the carto down into the tank just enough to drip in your juice, only fill the tank 80% full and slide the cato back up.

Back in the day, I had 12 IBTanks all filled with diff juices and would keep them in a zippered pouch and change the tanks out all day long for diff flavors.

Before the Kayfun came out, only a dripper had a better taste than a good carto set up in my opinion.

WOW....... How did I remember all that. I remember when Train and I used to sport IBtanks and SVD's ...... ahh,,, the goood old days.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IBtank used to sell the Smok 3.2 XL flanged cartos for 1.50 each or 10 or more for a 1.30. They will come in a 5 pack.

Ikenvape sells a good carto as well. Some say better, but wasnt any better for me. Boge cartos, no comment, but some folks like them as well.

VU Sponsors