Become a Patron!

Cartomizer tank to RTA

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been using a Bella carto tank for a year 2.8 ohm at 4.8v to 5.1v. I have just got two orchid RTA's. One is a VOX and a v4. I am new to building coils and need all the help I can get. I get my best flavor a 2.8 ohm with catro's. Would I get good flavor at a different ohm and wire. What size wire should I get and what ohm should I try? I have 3 iSticks, 2 EVic and 2 EverCools. Do I need a different mod?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can use your iSticks, but you need to build the coils at 1.5 Ohm or Higher. 1.5 Ohm is the sweet spot when you use the iStick. Use 28 Gauge Kanthal. The Orchid will look a bit strange on the iStick because of the size of the Orchid and the iStick. If you're going to get another mod, get one that does 30 watts or more. I personally like the way the Orchid looks on the Robbot ZNA clone, but that just my opinion.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have been using a Bella carto tank for a year 2.8 ohm at 4.8v to 5.1v. I have just got two orchid RTA's. One is a VOX and a v4. I am new to building coils and need all the help I can get. I get my best flavor a 2.8 ohm with catro's. Would I get good flavor at a different ohm and wire. What size wire should I get and what ohm should I try? I have 3 iSticks, 2 EVic and 2 EverCools. Do I need a different mod?
I would have recommended a single coil RTA with the mods that you currently have. it's alot easier making a single coil come out to 1.5-2 ohms. But since you already have the orchids I would recommend using 30 gauge wire so that a dual coil can come out to 1+ ohms

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you for your help. I will get 28 and 30 gauge and see what works.

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
why not just plug one hole on the orchid with cotton and build a single coil?

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That is what I was thinking about doing. As soon as my wire gets here I will learn how to make coils. With old stiff hands it will be interesting. May have to get a coil jig.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That is what I was thinking about doing. As soon as my wire gets here I will learn how to make coils. With old stiff hands it will be interesting. May have to get a coil jig.
If you go that route make sure to stuff cotton on the juice channels as well to keep it from flooding and leaking.

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you very much for that info. I am going to try 1.5 ohm 30 gauge first. What size coil would I make for a orchid 2 or 3mm?
I will get the tool when it is in stock.

tnumbers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if youre trying to do 1.5 ohm single coil, with 30 gauge wire, its going to take about 5 wraps on a 2.6mm rod. I honestly recommend picking up some 28 gauge as well. Do you have an ohm meter?

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
if youre trying to do 1.5 ohm single coil, with 30 gauge wire, its going to take about 5 wraps on a 2.6mm rod. I honestly recommend picking up some 28 gauge as well. Do you have an ohm meter?
Yes I do have 28 and 30 gauge coming and I do have a meter. I figured the 30 gauge would get here first.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your really looking for a coil jig there are other out there that would be better in my opinion. The one posted only has one size coil available and other could jigs have a verity of sizes to make coils. I know 101vape.com had one. I'm not sure if the still do though.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3mm will not fit, 2.5mm is a tight fit. 2mm has room between the chimney and positive posts so the build doesn't have to be as exact.

Check out this thread for building tips along with different opinions on stuffing the channels or not stuffing.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/
You can build single coil if you want, you just plug one air hole with the included grub screws. Only one side is threaded.

You will really want to get a mechanical or a regulated that can put out 30w at a minimum (as said) for the orchid to perform at it's best. 0.6 ~ 0.5 ohms is the sweet spot for me and most others that use it. You may find that you have to run single coil @ 1ohm or higher if your mods don't have the power to properly fire a dual coil. Play around with it and see what works out best.

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good call. Also, this might be a great tool for you. Depending on what ohm a coil youre trying to build and what gauge of wire youre using would change which one i would recommend you getting. But its something to look in to.

http://www.vapordna.com/The-Ultimate-Kuro-Koiler-Wire-Coiling-Tool-p/kkw001.htm

That looks like the first coil winder I've seen worth spending money IMHO...I can understand about having a hard time wrapping with unsteady hands...I took a fall at work last year that left me with nerve damage in my arm and learned to work threw it....another thing I would recommend getting is some sort of magnifier to see your coils as you wrap them. It will make it so much easier starting out...you can get a good cheap magnifier with a flexible stand from Harbor freight Tools for like 7 bucks and they also have cheap headband magnifiers if you prefer to go that route. Being able to clearly see a coil is almost better than having a coil jig. I used Diamond brand "Fancy" style toothpicks when I started wrapping because they're around 2.4ish mm in diameter and it was a cheap way to wrap tool coils and be able to leave them in the coils while metering them and installing them made it much easier till I got the hang of it and switched to drill bits. Good luck and happy vaping!

Last edited:

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do have a swing arm magnifier light and it will be just the ticket for making coils. Thank you all for your help. I will try making coils when my wire gets here.
I will get a mechanical ordered today and that new Cloupor mini 30 watt. Will these work ok?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, both a mech mod and the Mini 30 watt will work....just make sure you have some high drain IMR 18650 batteries with at least a 20 amp continuous drain rating or higher like the Samsung 25R's or the LG HE2's or some Sony VTC batteries.....Purple Efest batteries with a 20+ rating will work as well but I don't own any so it's not something I can personally recommend as I don't use them but many people do and they will work just fine

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, pick up some 26g kanthal too so you can get down into the 0.5 ~ 0.6 area. With 28g you won't have very many wraps at that resistance for good vapor production, like 6 and with thin wire you are not covering much wick... and 26g and lower is just easier to work with imo than the thinner gauges.

I wouldn't say a mechanical is necessary if you are getting a 30w mod, but they are cheap from fasttech and will never break so it would be good to have as a backup if nothing else.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if you were doing a dual coil on a 30 watt device, 28 gauge could work well.

definitely...I get some lovely .75ish dual coil 28 gauge builds I am rather fond of myself. I am sorry but I just am not into this super super scary sub ohm craze that is sweeping the vaping world....you really don't need a hundred watts to get a good vape....it hurts till you get used to it to vape that super high wattage and kills your flavor.....a dual 28 gauge setup coming from carto tanks will be like a night and day difference anyways...so start higher in ohms and work your way down to you find your "happy place".

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, 30g down to 26g will work, one of the good things about a regulated device... you can adjust it to the wire.

I just don't like using the thinner wire, the coil doesn't hold it's shape as well installing or rewicking.

By the way Pete, not sure where you're planning on getting the wire but temco on ebay is cheap and free shipping. 27 could be a happy medium between 28 & 26. That's what I use on my wife's kayfun.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
True, 30g down to 26g will work, one of the good things about a regulated device... you can adjust it to the wire.

I just don't like using the thinner wire, the coil doesn't hold it's shape as well installing or rewicking.

By the way Pete, not sure where you're planning on getting the wire but temco on ebay is cheap and free shipping. 27 could be a happy medium between 28 & 26. That's what I use on my wife's kayfun.

I love 27 and 29 gauge wire...I hate they charge way more for it....29 is the highest size I use anymore myself for regular builds.....I have wire all the way up to 36 but that thin stuff I usually use for twisting/clapton type coils...I used to use 30+ gauge wire for rebuilding protank heads but I found that I could use 29 without it being too big for that little space and have ran with it

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I ordered 30-28 from temco yesterday and 26 today. I will order27 and 29 in a bit. Thanks alot. This sounds like it will be fun building coils.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, both a mech mod and the Mini 30 watt will work....just make sure you have some high drain IMR 18650 batteries with at least a 20 amp continuous drain rating or higher like the Samsung 25R's or the LG HE2's or some Sony VTC batteries.....Purple Efest batteries with a 20+ rating will work as well but I don't own any so it's not something I can personally recommend as I don't use them but many people do and they will work just fine
I just ordered 4 Efest 35amp Imr 18650 2500mah from 101 vape. Thanks a bunch.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The purple efest is the lesser of those batteries but it will work fine. I have had one for about 9 months now and it is still a strong battery. You also need to get down to 0.2ohms before you start to exceed its constant amp rating and you will be well above that.

And as far as sub ohming, in the right atomizer with big air flow, 0.4ohms can be a very cool vape and nice and smooth at 0.3 (dripper).
In the wrong atomizer without much airflow 0.5 can be hot as hell.
You just have to build it to suit the mod and atomizer, 0.5 in one is too hot, 0.5 in another is too cool.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The purple efest is the lesser of those batteries but it will work fine. I have had one for about 9 months now and it is still a strong battery. You also need to get down to 0.2ohms before you start to exceed its constant amp rating and you will be well above that.

And as far as sub ohming, in the right atomizer with big air flow, 0.4ohms can be a very cool vape and nice and smooth at 0.3 (dripper).
In the wrong atomizer without much airflow 0.5 can be hot as hell.
You just have to build it to suit the mod and atomizer, 0.5 in one is too hot, 0.5 in another is too cool.

I couldn't agree more...proper airflow is just as important as any other part of the RBA....a good coil with the wrong airflow will be horrible where as the wrong coil with the right airflow can still be a decent (not great but decent) vape....airflow is key to temperature control and vapor production....less air flow can mean more flavor...too little airflow can mean nasty vape death....more airflow can mean better vapor production....too much airflow can lead to tasteless bland clouds....it's a delicate balance....especially with a rebuildable tank system where the airflow is much more restrictive than in a dripper and the chamber is smaller so it can heat up that much quicker....forgetting to lock your mod in your pocket even with something like a dna set to low watts that autofires in your pocket can torch a cotton wick pretty quickly without the airflow of a draw running threw it...always remember to lock your mod or turn it off with a tank. You'll only forget to lock it once...I promase ;)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha! Yeah, see my signature... flush button, no lock ring for this kid.
No drama but I did have a mechanical cook the hell out of a kayfun in my Subaru's cup holder once. Never again, flush button, no lock ring BCV surfrider now.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ha! Yeah, see my signature... flush button, no lock ring for this kid.
No drama but I did have a mechanical cook the hell out of a kayfun in my Subaru's cup holder once. Never again, flush button, no lock ring BCV surfrider now.

Ha, lol...I laugh...not because it's funny but because I feel your pain...before I got my DNA's I used a EHpro black caravella clone for one of my black kayfuns because it looked sweet....but the lock ring on that thing was touchy and if you didn't spin it down tight it would wiggle....i had it in my cargo pocket of my work pants and it burned up my wick and sent eliquid boiling out of the airflow and chimney while I was at a doctors appointing waitng for the doc to come in....it was embarrassing and awkward to have the doc do that "whats that smell" sniff as he walked into the room...not my finest vaping moment...never forgot to check the lock ring again...that's for sure :)

VU Sponsors