The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
casaa-color-logo-high-res.jpg

Consumer Advisory: If you are afraid of going back to smoking, seek out other smoke-free alternatives.

On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) held a press briefing to update the media about investigations into a sudden acute respiratory syndrome that is being linked to vaporizing products containing an unknown contaminant or additive. The number of people affected by the lung illness is reported to be 450, including three deaths in IL, OR, and IN. (At the time of this posting, two more deaths in L.A. County, CA and Minnesota are being reported.)

While federal officials are unable to point to a specific brand or contaminant in the samples they’ve received so far, reports from health departments in CA, NM, NY, PA, UT, and WI link the lung illness to unlicensed THC oil. The tragic death in Oregon is currently the only case where a THC cartridge was purchased from a licensed retailer.

To date, none of the cases of lung illness are being linked to a legal, commercially available nicotine vapor product. According to an article in the New York Times, “Public health officials have underscored one fundamental point: that the surge in illnesses is a new phenomenon and not merely a recognition of a syndrome that may have been developing for years.” In other words, these cases of lung illness are unlikely to be a result of long-term use of vapor products.

PEOPLE WHO SMOKE CAN IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH BY SWITCHING TO SMOKE-FREE ALTERNATIVES.

CASAA recognizes that many people who vape nicotine or who are considering switching from combustible tobacco to a vapor product may be frightened by the seemingly endless headlines conflating the risks of illicit oil-based cannabis products with nicotine vaping.

Consistent with our mission, we are advising anyone who has concerns about the safety of nicotine vaping products to consider other smoke-free options before returning to combustible tobacco use. Smokeless nicotine products such as snus, moist snuff (dip), and nicotine pouches are vastly safer alternatives to smoking and are readily available online and at most retailers where tobacco products are sold.

PLEASE DO NOT RETURN TO SMOKING.

For more information on smokeless tobacco as a safer alternative to smoking, please visit our website, here.

CONSIDER MULTIPLE STRATEGIES.

In addition to other smoke-free nicotine and tobacco products, people who vape may want to consider using over-the-counter nicotine replacement products such as nicotine gum or lozenges. While these products are certainly not a replacement for vaping (or even a very effective smoking cessation strategy), they are a viable and safer source of nicotine compared to combustible tobacco.

PLEASE SHARE THIS ALERT

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have received random email alerts for issues that were New York related but not as many as when I first joined. Never been solicited for money if my memory serves me right.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
This was an email I got from them a few days ago.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Cool if they’re active again. We could use them now. It’s getting fairly close to May!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Casaa is a waste of money - always was (check link at about 30 minutes):

Advocacy always was the responsibility of the Vape Shops and Manufacturers: if they don't care enough to protect their herds, no one else will.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I usually get an email after donation thanking for the donation and telling me about all the great things they
Cool if they’re active again. We could use them now. It’s getting fairly close to May!

Too little too late award and frankly, all I am aware of them ever having accomplished is sending emails which are few and far between. I still donate in hopes that they are doing good work on the ground but I am not aware of any great accomplishments by any vaping advocacy group.

This email (to me anyways) reads like defeat.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually get an email after donation thanking for the donation and telling me about all the great things they

Too little too late award and frankly, all I am aware of them ever having accomplished is sending emails which are few and far between. I still donate in hopes that they are doing good work on the ground but I am not aware of any great accomplishments by any vaping advocacy group.

Remember how we were talking the other day about how regulation quickly becomes about the self interests of the regulators? It's not as universally true with consumer advocacy groups, but usually is. I don't KNOW this to be the case with CASAA so I'm not accusing them. Only making another cynical observation based on many years of observation in general.
==============================================
What might actually do some good would be a series of high profile debates between the anti-vaping "experts" and a few formidably qualified and informed actual experts on our side. I don't mean a 6 minute soundbite style interaction like on the news shows. I mean as in maybe a series of one hour discussions with the best cited evidence from both sides and which could be shared from youtube.

The first problem with this is that the other side has no reason to do it. Not at this time anyway. When you're already winning, there's nothing to gain by risking possible exposure in an attempt to prove what most people already believe.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What also might have even more impact, if done right, by the right people, would be for some entirely unlettered and unqualified regular folks to do their homework, come invincibly prepared and then calmly and substantively (with a smile) devastate these "experts" before a watching public.

Think how it would look if Jimmy the lawn care guy and Helen housewife were to decisively defeat these highfalutin "experts" on the basis of the actually documentable and unassailable data.

It's possible that at least some viewers might become suspicious that there may more to this story than these "experts" are telling them. But they would also have to have a reason to care afterwards too.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I agree, and it felt like defeat when they just disappeared.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
What also might have even more impact, if done right, by the right people, would be for some entirely unlettered and unqualified regular folks to do their homework, come invincibly prepared and then calmly and substantively (with a smile) devastate these "experts" before a watching public.

Think how it would look if Jimmy the lawn care guy and Helen housewife were to decisively defeat these highfalutin "experts" on the basis of the actually documentable and unassailable data.

It's possible that at least some viewers might become suspicious that there may more to this story than these "experts" are telling them. But they would also have to have a reason to care afterwards too.

The people doing all of this are experts. It would be nearly impossible to catch one off guard and get them in a meaningful debate. Politicians are the scum of humanity and thrive on deceit.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Casaa is a waste of money - always was (check link at about 30 minutes):

Advocacy always was the responsibility of the Vape Shops and Manufacturers: if they don't care enough to protect their herds, no one else will.

That was very eye opening. Thanks.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Did you watch that vid with that Vic guy? He’s actually pretty right on, and from what he said CASAA aren’t doing shit.
I just got back into vaping and I really wish I’d known about all of this sooner!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Did you watch that vid with that Vic guy? He’s actually pretty right on, and from what he said CASAA aren’t doing shit.
I just got back into vaping and I really wish I’d known about all of this sooner!

I rarely watch any kind of youtube reviewers.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The people doing all of this are experts. It would be nearly impossible to catch one off guard and get them in a meaningful debate. Politicians are the scum of humanity and thrive on deceit.
I didn't mean the principal players. No, no politician is ever going to concede to a non campaign related debate about anything.

I meant maybe somebody/s from one of the Ivy League medical schools or something for example. Of course there's practically no chance of that happening either, but it doesn't hurt to think out loud.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The total U.S. budget is roughly 4 Trillion dollars a year and growing all the time. That's the amount of other people's money these lowlife's get to spend.

The only way to sway them is to threaten their access to that position.

At present the vaping community in this country is without a way to do that. At bottom, and as much as I don't like it, it's really no more complicated than that.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lobbies like big tobacco and big pharma have their LOOOONG teeth sunk deep into D.C.'s leg.

The vaping community is like a fruit fly buzzing around their head. An irritation until they can land that swatter. Not only that, but our fruit fly also enrages the dog that has it's teeth in their leg, making it bite harder.

Sucks for us.

Public opinion has to change in such a way as to threaten their access to that position of power/money. It can happen, but it ain't gonna be quick if it does..

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I rarely watch any kind of youtube reviewers.

PoppaVic posted it and I watched the advocacy bit. I don’t watch reviewers anymore either, since I can basically make my own mind up about what I’m buying. It’s a different take on advocacy, but not sure we could pull it off here like they have in the EU.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found another I missed the other day. Enjoy:
The funny part is at 6:44 where a user named "Texan 357 sez CAVEAT LECTOR" wrote a reply about banning chicken. (BTW, chlorine chickens from the USA are not allowed to enter the European Union due to the factual health risks that are directly linked to chlorine chickens, which are neither wonderful nor new... puts things right back into some good old-fashioned real perspective now, doesn't it?)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The funny part is at 6:44 where a user named "Texan 357 sez CAVEAT LECTOR" wrote a reply about banning chicken. (BTW, chlorine chickens from the USA are not allowed to enter the European Union due to the factual health risks that are directly linked to chlorine chickens, which are neither wonderful nor new... puts things right back into some good old-fashioned real perspective now, doesn't it?)

Chlorine free chicken is a great reason to emigrate, imho. I’m not kidding, This is a drag with bans et al. TPD would seem mellow!
:cheers: :teehee:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The view from the other side of the pond:

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-...-rises-fear-reversals-anti-smoking-campaigns/

Note multiple refererences to "regulation" - the very least we'll have out of all this hoo-hah is regulation.

I’m surprised that no mention of dodgy THC carts was made. How many cases of people getting sick from juice are there?
This is AFU. I can’t believe the panic over false info is spreading overseas.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I’m surprised that no mention of dodgy THC carts was made. How many cases of people getting sick from juice are there?

I read the article as saying they are NOT seeing the problems over there that are happening here, and specifically, the Brits say that the warnings being issued over here are too broad and without evidence.

But they also state that the e-cig industry is much more tightly regulated, so the medical establishment has more confidence that vaping liquids are safer than cigarettes.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And, as usual: Americans (mostly politicians) don't grok how their Health Care works at all..

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So please explain.

Bottom Line: their Health Care is mostly "preventative" - they want to handle issues early on and cheaply, so the taxdollars go further.. They don't wait and then pile-up the $20 aspirin and crap to the hospital stay.. Mind you, from what I hear it's basically on par with the VA for "quality", but the idea is prevention.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Nah. Here in Euroland we're saying people getting sick is linked to living in America so we're still accurate AFAIK.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Bottom Line: their Health Care is mostly "preventative" - they want to handle issues early on and cheaply, so the taxdollars go further.. They don't wait and then pile-up the $20 aspirin and crap to the hospital stay.. Mind you, from what I hear it's basically on par with the VA for "quality", but the idea is prevention.

You’re referring to the NHS? Socialized medicine would make it in the gov’s best interest to keep folks healthy. In the States, the system is failing or has failed already. They make profit from cancer treatments and other things that cost major bucks, imho.
The VA used to have free treatment, not anymore. So afaik, it’s fair to middling now. I could be wrong, though.
Are you here or in the UK, if I may ask?
Other than that, I’m pretty ignorant of the American medical system and why it’s so very bad. A person might be better off trying to stay healthy on their own than to trust the medicos here. Jmho.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nah. Here in Euroland we're saying people getting sick is linked to living in America so we're still accurate AFAIK.

Huh?? We’re exporting illness? Crikey. :giggle:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Huh?? We’re exporting illness? Crikey. :giggle:

Well... Monsanto is a very clear example of the fact. Also, facebook is a highly effective way to spread insanity. And, largely as a result from the fact Trump still continues to ignore that 97% of scientists worldwide agree that global warming is an immediate urgent threat that will be catastrophic if we don't act now, we now have to worry about mosquitos surviving winter season. Thereby they could soon be spreading deadly virus like Zika, Malaria, West Nile, Chikungunya, and Dengue into the Northern part of Western Europe because research is already indicating that the kind of mosquitos that normally don't live far outside the subtropical borders are already showing up here too, and the number of mosquitos as well as their growth rates from larvae to adult mosquitos are increasing almost exponentially in addition to this. So we could soon be facing a deadly epidemic that we aren't expecting, and that we aren't prepared for, exactly BECAUSE we aren't expecting it. Those are the facts.

VU Sponsors