Castle Long Clone

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This isn't my recipe. It was created by "jonhall2" on ECF with advise from the community. Very tasty vape!

CL CLONE

4 parts 3.1% KY BOURBON TFA
3 parts 2.3% TOASTED ALMOND CAPELLA'S
3 parts 2.3% COCONUT FA
1 part .77% SIMPLY VANILLA CAPELLA'S
1 part .77% MADAGASCAR VANILLA FW
1 part .77% BROWN SUGAR EXTRA TFA

percentages are slightly rounded

And an all TFA version, not an exact clone but tasty none the less
4 parts ky bourbon - 3.33%
1 part vanilla bourbon - 0.83%
2 parts AP - 1.67%
2 parts toasted almond - 1.67%
1 part vanillin - 0.83%
1 part brown sugar extra - 0.83%
1 part coconut extra - 0.83%

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does this have the oak (earthy?) taste of Castle long?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does this have the oak (earthy?) taste of Castle long?
I personally don't like woody vapes, this to me is more toasty alcohol to me. Might try adding some FA Oakwood to it?

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
TY Sir I need to put in an order to get the other flavors also so I will pick it up. What % would you recomend?
I use 2% in one of my mixes. That seems to be enough. You might want to go lower, if you don't want it to be a prominent flavor - one that you recognize right away.

JayZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you think I could switch Vanillin, Almods and Coconut for the FA version?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely might adjust the percentages a bit though. If using FA almond, I'd definitely add the AP. FAs Almond isn't toasted.

JayZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will do over the weekend, i'll post results next week

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started looking around last night for the flavors to try this, and most of the places were out of at least one of them. Wizard Labs was the only place they had all of them in stock. I think I ended up ordering 23 flavors and some other odds and ends, but I got free shipping.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started looking around last night for the flavors to try this, and most of the places were out of at least one of them. Wizard Labs was the only place they had all of them in stock. I think I ended up ordering 23 flavors and some other odds and ends, but I got free shipping.
Did you check Bull City? I can't recommend them enough! Seriously great people over there. Doing VT nic samples atm with your order as well, just mention it in the comment section on checkout.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bull City was missing a couple that I needed for this, but it looked like they did have a nice selection and prices.

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

TFA Toasted Almond for FA Almond? Probably not simply because of the differences in the flavoring. Toasted Almond isn't an almond extract type of flavor like FA's Almond is. TFA's Toasted Almond is more toasted than anything and it lends to that deeper flavor that's in CL/CLR (the almost bready, yeasty flavor). If you sub it out for FA's Almond, you're going to get a sweeter tasting almond extract flavor from it as FA doesn't (IIRC) have a toasted flavor available. So you'd be changing things up considerably as Toasted Almond is definitely a flavor you can taste and it doesn't take much at all!

Coconut could go either way. FA's Coconut is excellent, though TFA's Coconut Extra comes through a lot more IMO. It's a stronger flavor and really packs a punch. For vanilla, if it were me, I'd go with a slightly higher percentage and use Vanilla Classic if you go with the FA version. It's going to be the closest to vanilla extract. FA Bourbon and Bourbon Vanilla Extra, realistically, have nothing in common (this is based on my experience of creating vanilla extracts for about 3-4 years now). There is a slightly candyish flavor that's present in the bourbon vanilla flavor by FlavourArt, almost like the vanilla flavors you find in bubblegums. It's not bad, but I'd recommend their Classic or TFA's Bourbon Vanilla Extract by far.

Just my 2 cents though :). Try it both ways, you never know which one you'll like better unless you try them both :).

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried this with 2 parts TFA Red Oak and really liked it. It is dead on for Steam Co's Gentleman's Reserve. Still doesnt have the Oak taste that Castle Long does. I have been thinking about getting a small Oak Whiskey cask to steep it in. Great recipe thanks CurlyxCracker and Cramptholomew

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried this with 2 parts TFA Red Oak and really liked it. It is dead on for Steam Co's Gentleman's Reserve. Still doesnt have the Oak taste that Castle Long does. I have been thinking about getting a small Oak Whiskey cask to steep it in. Great recipe thanks CurlyxCracker and Cramptholomew

You could go the cheap route before the barrel investment and buy wood chips (same types you'd use for grilling/BBQ/Smoking). By dropping a few in a small batch to a handful in a larger batch, putting it away for X days and letting it all come together, you can get a general idea of what to expect with about a $5-$6 investment. Just make sure you have something that will filter out particulates. Cotton is a good starting point, but you really need something finer than cotton or even a coffee filter to get it all out.

JayZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You could go the cheap route before the barrel investment and buy wood chips (same types you'd use for grilling/BBQ/Smoking). By dropping a few in a small batch to a handful in a larger batch, putting it away for X days and letting it all come together, you can get a general idea of what to expect with about a $5-$6 investment. Just make sure you have something that will filter out particulates. Cotton is a good starting point, but you really need something finer than cotton or even a coffee filter to get it all out.
Amazing tip!! I will try that some time!! Thank you so much

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I looked into this at one time, but never followed through with it:
http://www.smokin-barrels.com/
http://www.susieqbrand.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=16
http://www.amazon.com/Mos-Bourbon-Barrel-Wood-Chips/dp/B008UFE09E

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Yep :) - I would just make sure that the wood isn't chemically treated. That's the big one. If it's treated with chemicals, there's a high risk factor. The chemicals could leach in to the e-liquid and that's definitely not something you want. Of course, there's chemicals from the charring and basic wood composition, but treatment chemicals are what would be of a major concern.

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

For those attempting either, I would also plan ahead. Wood is going to soak up liquid, so ideally, you want to make more than you'd like to have on-hand to make up for the loss of fluid that will occur as the wood takes in what it's being soaked in. I don't know the exact percentage loss, but I would account for 10-20% loss depending on how porous the wood is.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those attempting either, I would also plan ahead. Wood is going to soak up liquid, so ideally, you want to make more than you'd like to have on-hand to make up for the loss of fluid that will occur as the wood takes in what it's being soaked in. I don't know the exact percentage loss, but I would account for 10-20% loss depending on how porous the wood is.
I wonder if just soaking some plain PG (or whatever you choose) in the chip could then be used as flavor, instead of trying to "barrel age" an already mixed batch of liquid? Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to buy some chips and find out!

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if just soaking some plain PG (or whatever you choose) in the chip could then be used as flavor, instead of trying to "barrel age" an already mixed batch of liquid? Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to buy some chips and find out!

I'm sure it's possible. I'd say a good 15-30 day soak would give the same overall extracted flavor that barrel aging it would.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Definitely keep us updated if you do! I'm sure it'll be a diluted flavor, but curious as to how it works out

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
you have to watch those barrels and make sure the seams are sealed..
they will leak like a sieve if you don't..

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
Has anyone tweaked this recipe any from Jon Halls recipe posted on ECF?
I was lucky enough to try a couple of Jon's tweaks and they were pretty good.... Not a complete dead on castle long, but a good vape none the less. I just finally ordered a bunch of flavors and 1 liter of Nic, so my diy days are finally upon me. :D and this (castle long) is my absolute favorite juice!

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix mine a little stronger, here is what I mix it at.

ky bourbon - 6%
vanilla bourbon - 2%
AP - 3%
toasted almond - 3%
vanillin - 2%
brown sugar extra - 2%
coconut extra - 2%
red oak - 3%

Hope this helps

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no idea what CL is suppose to taste like but I made a version using lower percents and some FA subs and I'm loving it.

Many thanks for this thread, Curly!

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no idea what CL is suppose to taste like but I made a version using lower percents and some FA subs and I'm loving it.

Many thanks for this thread, Curly!

downInTn, would like to try that one. Can you post your recipe with the FA substitutions?

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
downInTn, would like to try that one. Can you post your recipe with the FA substitutions?

I went by the TFA version because I have most of those ;) and used 1 part = 0.5%. I subbed in FA Vanilla Classic and Coconut. I may try tweaking it a bit next time, I'd like a bit more coconut in there, but it's really good after steeping for a week.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I went by the TFA version because I have most of those ;) and used 1 part = 0.5%. I subbed in FA Vanilla Classic and Coconut. I may try tweaking it a bit next time, I'd like a bit more coconut in there, but it's really good after steeping for a week.
The issue with the amount of tfa coconut extra was because at a higher percentage it added more of a bite than any more flavor, the coconut was lacking in the all tfa version.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can get oak chips from a homebrew store, that's where I get mine.

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oak-wood barrels? You know bourbon has to age 10-20 years in charred oak barrels to reach peak flavor. ;)

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool! Just got my order in from BCV today, and have 60 ml steeping in the crock pot.

I couldn't find on the original thread any mention of steeping techniques that provide the most true to original flavor. Any recommendations?

For the general 'aging' part (apart from the oak wood barrels) we did a test over on ECF, and the general concensus was 4 hours in a crockpot in warm with the lid cracked (150 degrees). (Glass bottles, lid on).

For the general 'aging' part (apart from the oak wood barrels) we did a test over on ECF, and the general concensus was 4 hours in a crockpot in warm with the lid cracked (150 degrees). (Glass bottles, lid on).
Thanks! My crockpot only has high and low, so I've got it set to low without the lid, but I think I'm going to put the lid partially on.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I've been steeping in my little jewelry style UC which has no heater, but I have a temperature probe in there from an indoor/outdoor temperature thing in the water... and the water gets to about 145-150 degrees depending on how many bottles/water is in the bin. I set it to locked on (button forced down), come back in 4-5 hours, shake well and let cool. The results to me are excellent... I have been thru several bottles of castle clone with different variations on this recipe, some have been too bitter, others too sweet... none have been a dead ringer for castle long, but they have been plenty good enough to vape and enjoy.

I also feel that using more of coconut extra adds more of a harsh bite than more coconut flavor.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! My crockpot only has high and low, so I've got it set to low without the lid, but I think I'm going to put the lid partially on.

Sorry, I meant to say lids of bottles on, lid of crockpot just cracked exactly like you said!

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mix mine a little stronger, here is what I mix it at.

ky bourbon - 6%
vanilla bourbon - 2%
AP - 3%
toasted almond - 3%
vanillin - 2%
brown sugar extra - 2%
coconut extra - 2%
red oak - 3%

Hope this helps
I went half way in between the original clone and your stronger recipe and it was very good Oggy, now I'm working my way up to your strength and seeing if I can find a sweet spot for me. I'm like you, I like a little stronger vape. U had a good idea here, I think the recipe will improve for some people at stronger %s.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use both a Kayfun and a dripper, and my wife uses an Aspire Nautilus. With the original I could only really taste it in the dripper. With the stronger recipe I get the full flavor in a Kayfun, It is a little strong in a driper but that's OK with me. The wife has alot better sense of taste than I do so its just about right in the Nautilus for her. At some point I want to try steeping this with the wood chips/oak barrel, I think that's what it is missing from the original.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I have made several batches with flavorings from 12% to 38% .... all delicious, some better than others... I am having a hard time figuring out what makes it harsh for me, and or if steeping will help eliminate the harshness...they dont last long enough for me to steep :p

I did stop using AP though, its too strong and overpowering and I think the AP and coconut extra are both sources of harshness to my palate. I use coconut (not extra) and stopped using AP, and use tpa toasted almond.

Also, I am not sure having more flavor after a certain percentage increases flavor at all..... the same recipe at say 15% flavor is about the same strength to me at 35% flavor...................... maybe I am crazy? I have mixed sooo many bottles its hard to keep track at this point.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me as I increase flavor things seem to get harsh and take on a chemical taste with less of the actual flavor. When I stated DIY I had alot of issues with the tobacco flavors cause I didnt let them steep. And was using high percentages of flavor. They would start out a little week then steadly get stronger till they took on the harsh chemical flavor and were unvapeable. With this one I mix up 120 ml's at a time. When I open the last one I mix up another and it gets to steep about 10 days or so.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to make mine at 10% total flavoring using pretty close to the original recipe posted, but substituting FA where I had it. And I always gave it 4 hours in the crockpot on warm. It had tons of flavor, and I don't have particularly subtle taste buds!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have made several batches with flavorings from 12% to 38% .... all delicious, some better than others... I am having a hard time figuring out what makes it harsh for me, and or if steeping will help eliminate the harshness...they dont last long enough for me to steep :p

I did stop using AP though, its too strong and overpowering and I think the AP and coconut extra are both sources of harshness to my palate. I use coconut (not extra) and stopped using AP, and use tpa toasted almond.

Also, I am not sure having more flavor after a certain percentage increases flavor at all..... the same recipe at say 15% flavor is about the same strength to me at 35% flavor...................... maybe I am crazy? I have mixed sooo many bottles its hard to keep track at this point.

Certain flavors seem to be more harsh than others.
And I've found out that over flavoring can make them harsh too.
I usually stick to the 20% total flavoring rule when using TFA, FW, and CAP.
Let the flames begin, lol.
But with FA, INW, and VZ, 20% is way too high, maybe like 8% ish total flavoring.

Just tried one of my bottles that I made Monday. I'm not getting much in the way of flavor. I mix at max VG, is that why I'm not getting much flavor? Should I up the flavor to 20% of total?

Mixman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
how much flavor % wise did you start with? if it was say 10% I would bump it 2% at a time til you get it where you want it. Are you using a tank or a dripper? It matters. Look, the 20% flavor rule is just a rule of thumb. It doesn't work all that well in practice because each flavor is different. Two companies can both have banana flavor and all things equal the % of each may need to be different. It's all taste and it varies from person to person and recipe to recipe. I saw someone say use dulce de leche sparingly. Fine and that's a rule of thumb that is often true but my second best seller uses it at 10% and I mix batch after batch every week. Using FA flavors? 20% would probably be way too much. TFA it could be weak. Rules of thumb are fine as reminders but don't fear going outside the box you might come across something special.

VU Sponsors