Catalan Vanilla Custard v1

4% Catalan Cream (FA)*
4% French Vanilla Creme (TPA)
2% Vienna Cream (FA)*
4% Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP)
2% Custard (FA)*
1% DX Brown Sugar (TPA)

0DBnoff.jpg

A delightful custard that combines elements of French and Spanish cuisine - a hint of lemon peel, a dash of cinnamon and a generous helping of vanilla, topped with burnt caramel. Yum! I make this in 200 ml batches.
  • Catalan Cream (FA) - the star of the show
  • French Vanilla Creme (TPA) - complex cream + subtle spices
  • Vanilla Custard V2 (Cap) - primary heavy-duty custard
  • Custard (FA) - supporting custard with citrus notes
  • Vienna Cream (FA) - sweet cream, additional vanilla
  • DX Brown Sugar - the topping + sweetness
Steeping: 4-6 weeks. Comments and feedback welcome.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/1546513/Catalan+Vanilla+Custard+v1

Last edited:

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That 4-6 weeks steep, was it static or did you help things along at all..

Warm baths, frequent shaking (or ultrasonic) can speed things up a bit, but it is a classic custard ... there is a 'dead zone' or flattening out period around the 3rd week. You can always sample it along the way (hehe) ... I do ... in fact, the sampling helps aerate.

Martin_tu

Member For 4 Years
Warm baths, frequent shaking (or ultrasonic) can speed things up a bit, but it is a classic custard ... there is a 'dead zone' or flattening out period around the 3rd week. You can always sample it along the way (hehe) ... I do ... in fact, the sampling helps aerate.
Oh don't worry I will, often and frequently..... And if it lives up to its reputation, I'll share my recipe for something built that awards you the taste of true South African custard, it's called Ultramel, (Google it.)

M2

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh don't worry I will, often and frequently..... And if it lives up to its reputation, I'll share my recipe for something built that awards you the taste of true South African custard, it's called Ultramel

Don't keep us in suspense ... share the recipe now ... we will have to wait 4-6 weeks anyway to really taste it :ejuice:

Martin_tu

Member For 4 Years
OK then, hope you enjoy it. We'll never run this commercially as it never made the cut, we'll probably run Mel Mel Plus as it was given a very faint cinna hit to round it off.

In the proving tests I felt this was the closest to the actual, genuine South African Ultramel custard though, it has a cleaner, more pure ambience. (Which is why I make a private stash for personal enjoyment, the commercial one being 'proprietary')

Again, a minimum 4-6 week steep but it really 'came out' fully at 8-9 weeks, even with occasional heat and sonic treatment every two to three days. We couldn't call it by its -more descriptive- trade name as that would have been asking for trouble. (like the idiots that actually produced and marketed a juice called 'Coca Cola', even ripping off the same font as the famous soft drink.

So herewith I give you:

Mel-Mel One
(30ml) Zero Nic 70/30 ratio.

PG 5.0 ml / VG 21 ml / Cotton Candy (TFA) 0.3 ml / Cream Fresh (FA) 0.6 ml / Crème Brulee (INA) 0.3 ml / Custard (FA) 0.6 ml / French Vanilla Cream (TPA) 0.6 ml / Sweetener (Sucralose) (CAP) 0.3 ml / Vanilla Custard (CAP) 1.2 ml

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Mel-Mel One (30ml) Zero Nic 70/30 ratio.

PG 5.0 ml / VG 21 ml / Cotton Candy (TFA) 0.3 ml / Cream Fresh (FA) 0.6 ml / Crème Brulee (INA) 0.3 ml / Custard (FA) 0.6 ml / French Vanilla Cream (TPA) 0.6 ml / Sweetener (Sucralose) (CAP) 0.3 ml / Vanilla Custard (CAP) 1.2 ml

French Vanilla Creme (TPA), formerly French Vanilla Deluxe (TPA), is a wonderful DX ingredient; it has a LOT of vanilla and other spices that appear at different temperatures.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
* May contain Acetoin (no published test results).

Last edited:

cdohner

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Catalan Vanilla Custard v2

4% Catalan Cream (FA)*
4% French Vanilla Creme (TPA)
2% Vienna Cream (FA)*
4% Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP)
2% Custard (FA)*
1% Caramel (FA) - complex sweetness (subs DX Brown Sugar)

Reformulated due to Furfuryl alcohol in DX Brown Sugar (TPA).

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/1816858/Catalan+Vanilla+Custard+v2
I appreciate the concern of harmful chemicals. I do my best to avoid them as well. FA Caramel is a great flavor, and is a must have for anyone's arsenal.

I hope I can wait on the long steep. But surely I will try it a couple of days in because I'm so curious of its progress, and enjoy finding the noticeable changes

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I appreciate the concern of harmful chemicals. I do my best to avoid them as well. FA Caramel is a great flavor, and is a must have for anyone's arsenal.

I hope I can wait on the long steep. But surely I will try it a couple of days in because I'm so curious of its progress, and enjoy finding the noticeable changes

There is a preponderance of evidence correlating furfuryl alcohol to cancer. The only sweeteners left that seem safe to vape are Ethyl Maltol and Stevia ... aside from Maple (FA) and Honey (FA). My leftover stash of Sucralose (Splenda) is now used for my coffee drinks and homemade 'sodas' ... not even safe to bake with:sad:

Btw, tasting doesn't affect the steeping process ... in fact, it speeds it up somewhat since you aerate. Enjoy ;)

cdohner

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is a preponderance of evidence correlating furfuryl alcohol to cancer. The only sweeteners left that seem safe to vape are Ethyl Maltol and Stevia ... aside from Maple (FA) and Honey (FA). My leftover stash of Sucralose (Splenda) is now used for my coffee drinks and homemade 'sodas' ... not even safe to bake with:sad:

Btw, tasting doesn't affect the steeping process ... in fact, it speeds it up somewhat since you aerate. Enjoy ;)
IKR? Hahaha, and hell, if you make enough, you just might make it to 4 weeks

Last edited:

cdohner

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you dig cereal vapes, I made a really pleasant one that smells awesome too. Called "Me So CEREAL" in DIY recipes

If you get to try it, lemme know what you think as I will of your recipe.

It has butter tho, and the DX Brown Sugar (which I suppose you can sub in caramel as well)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Talking about Brown sugar, I don't think fa caramel is a good sub. Yes, fa caramel can be used as a sweetener but in many recipes tfa brown sugar is used as a flavor and not just a sweetener. You could use fa caramel with fa butterscotch to more closely match tfa brown but the affect and taste won't be dead on.

Concerning cancer, I see people at my job dead from heart attacks in their 30s and 40s. I'm not going to worry about the little bit of tfa brown sugar I may vape in a year. Besides, I've eaten enough little Debbie cakes in my day and those are much worse for you.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Talking about Brown sugar, I don't think fa caramel is a good sub. Yes, fa caramel can be used as a sweetener but in many recipes tfa brown sugar is used as a flavor and not just a sweetener. You could use fa caramel with fa butterscotch to more closely match tfa brown but the affect and taste won't be dead on.

Concerning cancer, I see people at my job dead from heart attacks in their 30s and 40s. I'm not going to worry about the little bit of tfa brown sugar I may vape in a year. Besides, I've eaten enough little Debbie cakes in my day and those are much worse for you.

DX Brown Sugar(TPA) has no vanilla 'harmonics' and is not particularly sweet; similarly, Butterscotch (FA) is not as sweet but it has vanilla notes. Caramel (FA) is brown sugar, caramelized; like Butterscotch (FA), it is also relatively weak, compared to typical FA flavors ... so, closest sub for DX Brown Sugar (TPA) in this recipe.

As far as health concerns, many like vaping flavors with diketones and have no ill effects ... yet. While vaping (with diketones) is 95% safer than smoking; vaping without diketones, sugars, sucralose and now, furfuryl alcohol, makes it '99.91% safer' ... I choose safer. Its all about probabilities and the risks you are willing to take.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have to disagree. Been vaping fa caramel three years. I get sweet or maybe caramel, not Brown sugar.

Real brown sugar is simply granulated sugar with molasses mixed in. Real caramel is burnt sugar with a little water. They are nor inner changeable and are totally different. In vaping, you may be able to sub small amounts, 0.25 to MAYBE 0.5, but that's it. Anything more and you have a different recipe.

If you want to vape "safe", great. Do it. Build your recipes that way and leave the others alone because there are too many out there with "bad" stuff.

I used to be the same way but got too limited in recipes.

Have fun.

Edit: I use regular tfa brown sugar.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Have to disagree. Been vaping fa caramel three years. I get sweet or maybe caramel, not Brown sugar.

Real brown sugar is simply granulated sugar with molasses mixed in. Real caramel is burnt sugar with a little water. They are nor inner changeable and are totally different. In vaping, you may be able to sub small amounts, 0.25 to MAYBE 0.5, but that's it. Anything more and you have a different recipe.

If you want to vape "safe", great. Do it. Build your recipes that way and leave the others alone because there are too many out there with "bad" stuff.

I used to be the same way but got too limited in recipes.

Have fun.

Edit: I use regular tfa brown sugar.

This is my Catalan Vanilla Custard recipe/ thread. If you tried v1 (with TPA DX Brown Sugar) vs v2 (with FA Caramel) then your opinion would be appreciated. Otherwise, your opinion is useless.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is my Catalan Vanilla Custard recipe/ thread. If you tried v1 (with TPA DX Brown Sugar) vs v2 (with FA Caramel) then your opinion would be appreciated. Otherwise, your opinion is useless.
Wow, maybe your useless.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

cdohner

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what do y'all think about subbing INW Custard for FA Custard on this recipe? (To avoid the lemon zest. Not that it is a bad custard, just wanting to know)

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So what do y'all think about subbing INW Custard for FA Custard on this recipe? (To avoid the lemon zest. Not that it is a bad custard, just wanting to know)

You can up the percentage of Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP) to 6%, or experiment with ~2% of any custard in your stash.

Inawera has really tasty flavors. I really like their Shisha Strawberry. Unfortunately, they have not been as transparent as I would wish (only a private email as disclosure), so I no longer make DIY e-juice using their ingredients.

cdohner

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can up the percentage of Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP) to 6%, or experiment with ~2% of any custard in your stash.

Inawera has really tasty flavors. I really like their Shisha Strawberry. Unfortunately, they have not been as transparent as I would wish (only a private email as disclosure), so I no longer make DIY e-juice using their ingredients.
Oh, they responded? What'd they say? Did they disclose the details of the product(s) you were requesting?

I'm very sensitive to diketones, but I don't get that from INW Custard. I'd be interested in knowing your findings, and or links to find out for myself

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years

VU Sponsors