Become a Patron!

Caution....?

First off, I'd like to have more control of what I'm putting into my body which is why I'm looking into DIY. So, getting a grip on the process and components I happened onto a flavor warehouse online. Some of the flavorings have a "caution" background and when looking at the item, it states a percentage of ingredient that could be hazardous. So....I'm sure these are the flavors that taste freakin awesome and all that but if I have a *choice*, why choose them? But, I'm a noob and would love to hear what some of you vets have to say about this that have researched this far more than I have. I'm also noticing a V2 of these items by companies making an effort to cut out the nasties. Conversely, I noticed on another very popular flavor warehouse, these items are not as clearly flagged....Uhm.....Not as kosh?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Diketones (common in creamy/buttery flavorings) are the big "risk."

I choose not to use them as well. Of my 100ish flavors, maybe 1 or 2 have them.

But it is a "choice." People "choose" to smoke, eventhough it is clearly a health risk. If using these flavorings makes someone happy, do it. I have found a lot of the v2/dx flavorings I have give an off flavor. Can't have it both ways.

I have read that there is exponentially more diketones in a cigarette than a juice that has diketone ingredients. So, use them or not, you are better off than cigs.

But, again, it is a choice. Your choice.

Some distributors (and manufacturers) clearly label which products have these ingredients. I also much appreciate them being forthcoming.

Some ingredients have a warning that is unrelated. Some flavorings do not play well with plastic tanks. That one also always made me a bit leary, but not enough to not use them. Most straight fruit flavors that have a caution, it is for this and not diketones.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also avoid them and although the risk is minimal I prefer to make my e-Liquids as safe as I possibly can.

Vape on Safely

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the FDA getting involved you will see a lot more warnings on juice. Wether the warnings are valid or not... basically all the cigarette laws and warnings do and will apply.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started out being wary of all the diketones, too, and buying only V2 versions of certain flavors, until I accidentally got one that had diketones in it. I wasn't paying attention or something. It was SO GOOD. Then I started really looking at how much "bad stuff" was in some of these flavorings. If it's more than 10% (very rare), I still won't use it, but if it's down at half a percent or less, why the hell not? Seriously, I smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for most of my life, so what's half a percent of (maybe) 10% total flavor in my bottle of juice? That isn't going to make any difference to me, and in my opinion, the improved flavor is worth it. Some V2 versions taste excellent to me, and I still buy those, but some, like Vanilla Custard (CAP), the difference is amazing. Cigarettes, I smoked one after the other all day long, every day. Vaping, I use several different juices throughout the day, and only some of them might have a miniscule amount of diketones in them. So it no longer worries me. :)

Just my alternate point of view... ;)

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Don't inhale powder flavor and you should be fine...but if you want a guarantee, you're going to have to wait 30ish years for the long term studies

VU Sponsors