CEASES AND DESIST: YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT CLONES

now this is kinda ironic made me laugh.
ironic%2Bchina.jpg

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I could afford to go the authentic route across the board I would. I'm sure most people would, out of sheer respect.

I wouldn't, it's a metal tube like the other 100's of metal tubes out there, they didn't invent the tube, they stuck their own logo on it and then said 'I had a original idea, so going to charge $200-$300 for it'

I have no doubt the authentic mods are better made, but $180+ better made, I doubt it, and the squape reloaded is a good example, $180 for a topper, really? and if want all the extras, then it is well over $200, and then give it 6 months and they will have another new one out, things in the vaping world move to fast to be spending that kind of money.

Off-topic a bit, but is anyone else starting to feel a bit scammed by all the v1, v2, v3, v647s coming out? The Tugboat for example, I love my Tugboat v1 (clone, duh), but lack of adjustable airflow seems a mind-numbingly stupid omission nowadays. But wait! Suddenly, v2 is out with adjustable airflow! Just another $89.99, thanks! Now this one has small post holes, questionable copper center post, and the negatives aren't milled? Get that wallet ready for v3 coming next month!

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have had real mixed feelings on this topic for a while now. If I could afford to go the authentic route across the board I would. I'm sure most people would, out of sheer respect. However there is still that "test drive" side of me which likes the idea of a low priced clone. If the clone passes and the real deal is available I pull the trigger on it.

I see both sides of this argument but they are making themselves look like a bunch of assclowns. Greedy, scared and childish ones at that. Clones make a lot of us want the real deal and also keep the entry price point into the mod market reasonable enough that the authentic makers could never have kept up on supply.

Without the clones and us talking about them the whole landscape would be a lot different. The clone business model sucks rotten ass and is completely foreign to my blue collar sensibilities, but inhaling vapor instead of tar was foreign at one point too.

I learned that was good for me, just as clones are.

Not at present, because the way they're handling shit is not earning them much respect.

I wouldn't, it's a metal tube like the other 100's of metal tubes out there, they didn't invent the tube, they stuck their own logo on it and then said 'I had a original idea, so going to charge $200-$300 for it'

I have no doubt the authentic mods are better made, but $180+ better made, I doubt it, and the squape reloaded is a good example, $180 for a topper, really? and if want all the extras, then it is well over $200, and then give it 6 months and they will have another new one out, things in the vaping world move to fast to be spending that kind of money.
I

I'm not necessarily talking about a mech. When something new actually hits the market is more where I was coming from, something inventive that makes want to try out.

RobertH

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Vaporjoes networks responds
The Vaporjoes Network and Vaping Underground responds to the latest round of ceases and desist letters making the rounds. Vaping Underground got a few of these letters as well as other forums / bloggers.

https://soundcloud.com/soundcloud.com%2Fjoe-petner%2Fvaporjoes-rants-about-the-mod-makers-ceases-and-desist-against-websites

.. we are not afraid .. we will fight .. we will win

qS3X5FA4yg8

Click here to get more information on this deal....

Ok gang....you can add comments here...
http://www.facebook.com/iamaclonetoo

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Authentic Mod Makers. Once you start attacking Freedom of Speech you cross the line of being an American Mod Maker to being a Fascist Mod Maker . You start losing your supporters ,losing business and losing any and ALL Credibility. Dudes you Just F Upped

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Authentic Mod Makers. Once you start attacking Freedom of Speech you cross the line of being an American Mod Maker to being a Fascist Mod Maker . You start losing your supporters ,losing business and losing any and ALL Credibility. Dudes you Just F Upped
Not just that but borderline criminal on in the realm of federal laws.
But they are belly bumping against Tortious interference.

JunkMountain

Member For 4 Years
No one can buy an authentic skeleton key even if they wanted to. "Podunk" mod makers don't make enough of them to meet demand. That's their downfall. I've waited months and months for an item to come back in stock and finally settled for a clone. Further. I have authentic mods and their clone counterparts and honestly the clone out performs the authentic every time...wtf is that about? Until these folks can meet demand in the market place and make them affordable their just a gang of greedy strong armed thugs as far as I'm am concerned. Not a reputable company who even has the product to sell.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that they've taken this route. Clearly they lost the battle to stop China from making clones. Oh and by the way that logo of a skeleton key is not an original design :/

RynoSerious

Likes Turtles
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
VU Live Host
I love it !! They truly have no clue what kind of sleeping giant they are trying to awaken.. And it is all for what? 3% of the ecig industry?

Modmakers need to put thier money where thier mouths are.. And sue someone already.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love it !! They truly have no clue what kind of sleeping giant they are trying to awaken.. And it is all for what? 3% of the ecig industry?

Modmakers need to put thier money where thier mouths are.. And sue someone already.
I really hope it is a Hana style failure. Then those who are getting sued can filed Tortious interference against them.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well hell Nasty, just hold it upside down when you use it then Voila! The number will look right and you'll never know the difference!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well hell Nasty, just hold it upside down when you use it then Voila! The number will look right and you'll never know the difference!
OH I do not know why I am laughing so hard at that.. lack of sleep ya that's it.

Reminds me of when my buddy at the auto parts store was staring at this blonde instead of thinking.. he was wearing himself out trying in vain to find a 710 plug... I walked over and turned it right side up for him.

ClonesRAuthenticReplicas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I want a list of every one of these vendors/manufacturers so I know who to NEVER fucking buy from.

I totally agree. The vape community is overwhelmingly in support of reasonably priced goods brought by the free market - and this even includes most vendors who cater to the community.

We need to take names and spread the facts about this handful of greedy hucksters working against the freedoms and interests of the 99.9% of the vaping community so that they may be held accountable in the marketplace.

Jaywizzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This doesn't get much simpler to me - if mod makers really want their products to be able to compete in the market, lower the damned cost. It obviously can be done if your shit is being cloned for $15. Want real proof? Mutation X. Major props to Zen for taking this the way he is. Everyone else, lower your damn costs or get run out of business. This isn't 2012 when $120+ for an RDA made some sense given the small niche market you were in. This is 2014, vaping is booming, you have a comparatively massive potential customer base now, but you still expect to get niche market prices? Fuck off. Adapt, or gtfo of the way so China can do your job for you. If you really think I'm going to shell out $250+ for a metal tube with a spring and a 510 connection, you're out of your damn mind.
EXACTLY !!!

Jaywizzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The more they bitch and complain about elitist horseshit and must buy over priced mods, the more clones I order daily :c) fuck you, elitist assholes, you eat my shit, I fuck your mother

Jaywizzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well they are sort of winning, skeleton key clone is hard to find, as most places that did have them, have taken them down due to the mod maker, and the same is now going on with the squape clone too, and this is china sites taking them clones down too, not sure how they are doing it, but they are, just hope it isn't the future, or it will be the vapers who lose out, and wouldn't be surprised if the mod makers put prices up even more if they win on the clone front.
clones will always surface from the underground. Us pirates are here waiting. ARRRGH

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clone or no clone, I buy what is available that I can afford. If, though I don't see it possible, the clones disappeared, I would still purchase what I could afford. Same with cars, ovens and anything else perceived as needed. What grabs my ass is the infringement of freedom of speech. These C & D letters to forums, press and folks who may or may not make a living talking about real items used by Americans, are a scare tactic that see only lawyers coming out a head with cash in pocket.

JapaneseOrganicCotton

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2puff is another manufacture doing tactics like this as well. We should get a list of people who are.

ClonesRAuthenticReplicas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
F* these ignorant A-holes, with their entitlement mentalities!!! Their actions make it easy to read their minds:

"I should be able to get rich by eliminating all the competition, and make all the peons trying to quit smoking cough up an entire paycheck to me for a flashlight tube, 'cause I found a cool design on the 'net to copy & engrave onto the metal tube."

"It's not fair that other people can also own milling machines and make the tubes for 1/20 the price that my greedy ass demands, because they aren't trying to get rich from a few small, inadequate production runs, like I am."

"Damn that Henry Ford and his consumer-friendly assembly-line process, which actually gives consumers both value and sufficient supply."

"Despite the fact that practically everything I own (and everything I own that holds a battery) was made in China, it's not fair for other Americans to have the freedom to follow suit if it keeps me from raping them out of $200 or > for my battery holders."

"My idea of freedom and the free market applies only to my right to rape fellow Americans out of their freedoms and hundreds of dollars per tube- not because it's best for them, but because I'm a greedy, self-serving asshole who would screw my own mother & sister if that's what it takes to get rich from finding and cloning a cool design to engrave onto a metal flashlight tube."

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I say we boycott all American made Authentics until this shit stops, buy only "China made" Mods, Mechs, VW and VV mods. There are even great China Authentics out there that can take the place of the American made greedsters.
100w box mod by Segelei
T5 T6 T8 by Cloupor
180w God Box Mod by SMY
SmokTech Groove 2, VW 3-15w
SmokTech Magneto
and many many more. No need to even buy "clones", China makes many many originals that are in a great price range. Affordable, powerful and good looking.

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To directly answer your question, only if they have an international trademark. Usa issued trademarks only apply in the usa. So they can send a letter to china and say "stop", but its up to the manufacturer to comply (usually only a good faith gesture which is rare), or not, as they see fit.

The only legal move a trademark holder has is to contact the customs department and "ask" to have the items seized at customs to enforce their USA trademark. However this tactic only makes it difficult to import. Much will still get through. Then the trademark holder has the right to go after the sellers of these trademarked items for damages, if they are known.

All a shop has to do is remove logos, or have china produce the item logoless.... which they are more than happy to do.

Ok, here's my question.... can "they" actually stop china from producing and selling mods with logos? Thats the whole beef here.... I mean otherwise a mech mod is a tube with a connector and a switch......... (for the sake of this argument just agree here). What I understood by reading or hearing somewhere, cant remember where, they wanted to stop the logos. I think I even heard fasttech no longer has anything with the GP (paps) logo....? does this alliance really have the ability and power to stop china from making mods with logos? :eek:

vapingunited

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm they could attempt to twist it if joe did that as libel...

Doubtful if he does it under the premise of being transparent with the users that it could possible hinder (like us).

vapingunited

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If not for the authentic supporters, cloners would have nothing to copy. You should be thanking the elitist for buying authentic and supporting modders. We buy it, than comes the clone.....duhhh!! So you are welcome!

And the same could be said for toasters, screwdrivers, hammers, the wheel, and every other product that we use daily. Yet, you don't see the cavemen threatening to sue Michelin or Good Year for "stealing" their designs, do you?

So you're saying you agree that we shouldn't even be allowed to discuss them or link to them? Wait....are you in North Korea where this is normal???

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@pawpaw, LOL, if not for the authentic supporters, cloners would have nothing to copy.....yeah, god knows it is the authentic mech designers that are the originators of positive to negative electricity, the ohms law, kanthal wire, springs, magnets, metal tubing and etching. Why, they even invented the 510 thread....What on earth would we have done without them?
Let it also be known, the first known mechanical vape mods were made from copper plumbing parts and a few from flashlights....so who is cloning who.....

Its people like that, that make me feel solid in my choice of using VV VW mods. Also, I have a cousin who is making me a mechanical mod out of copper pipe and pipe fittings, cant get more original than that, home made with parts made from other countries, getting harder and harder to trust things made in the good old US of A. Too many strings attached.

Last edited:

ClonesRAuthenticReplicas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am aware of more than a dozen examples of clones being clearly and indisputably superior to the original.
So much for the false claim of R&D, huh? There is obviously a number of hucksters trying to fleece their fellow Americans without even honestly checking to make sure their several-hundred-dollar plagiarized-logo-tube is even as good as $15 generic tubes:

Long live American's Freedom to obtain honest value, fairly priced goods, & free market choice!
May what's in the best interest of consumers always trump what's only in the interests of the greedy, unreasonable, self-obsessed Prickz...

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Answer to the mech mod dilemma, now you can buy original without paying for someones mortgage at the same time.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No one can buy an authentic skeleton key even if they wanted to.

Sure they can! There's one listed on Ebay right now for the low, low price of $999.99. According to the seller, the "maker" claimed it would easily sell for this much.

And if that's too expensive, you could pick up the one for $715. Still too much? There's another for only $500! That's bargain basement fare right there.

I wonder if the guy who bought an iHybrid for $650 a year and a half ago laments his purchase. Hopefully not.

Celtic, the Magneto is actually a clone of the Nzonic. :D

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is what happens when we raise children up through schools where only PC speech is permitted, and they hang out in chat rooms and forums where a few ignorant, power mad, chickenshit, or just cowardly moderators hold sway by stifling free expression. People start thinking that that kind of censorship is rightful and normal and set out to enlist said chickenshits to their causes. Whether one wishes to encourage battery holder makers to rip them off and\or voluntarily frequent sites that engage in such censorship crap is a personal choice but warrants no applause. Schools...that's a different matter. Society has really wacked them up.

Perhaps "ripping off" is not actually what authentic makers are engaging in. However, if a banker backs crap business ideas for long, he probably deserves to lose his job. If customers back them with their capital, the old saying about a fool and his money still applies. Then again...we're the fools that bail out banks that aren't even hurting.

TheDude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
evaruzar.jpg

So...we can still talk about clone of clones, right?

I am curious about this C&E, first, the C&E can only request a specific TM or copyright infringement I'm not aware of a case where a C&E that can cover an entire industry (Attorneys on this forum please weigh in). I think the best comparison, and this may be where they derive precedence, is the fashion industry, high end Hermes bags, Armani, etc. but even then they still have to cite specific violations and damages to that specific copyrighted logo. It would be interested to see the C&E, is possible to post it @VaporJoes?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412012225.579225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412012225.579225.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hows about they invest this money in keeping the industry alive or a cause near and dear to my heart GIANT KIWI. Those things are just too damn small. By the time I'm done peeling them I already finished eating it. GIVE ME GIANT KIWI AND I WILL BUY YOUR MODS!!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To directly answer your question, only if they have an international trademark. Usa issued trademarks only apply in the usa. So they can send a letter to china and say "stop", but its up to the manufacturer to comply (usually only a good faith gesture which is rare), or not, as they see fit.

The only legal move a trademark holder has is to contact the customs department and "ask" to have the items seized at customs to enforce their USA trademark. However this tactic only makes it difficult to import. Much will still get through. Then the trademark holder has the right to go after the sellers of these trademarked items for damages, if they are known.

All a shop has to do is remove logos, or have china produce the item logoless.... which they are more than happy to do.
But at the same time getting customs to seize and disrupt shipments coming in on a suspicion, it will make them seem like they are just crying wolf.
The easiest down and dirty way to protect those imports is to stop scribbling over everything and make it plain.
A style is impossible to stop where as clone could be called counterfeit.

Whoa ok that is sexy looking, that would be an awesome retro inspired mod..
Very steampunk without gears.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd rather clones were all made without logos. I'm not out to even try to pretend I have the real thing if I don't actually, so I definitely don't want a logo on there trying to make it seem like I got it twisted.
And most importantly, most mod logos are fucking douchey anyways.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd rather clones were all made without logos. I'm not out to even try to pretend I have the real thing, and if it's "fake" I definitely don't want a logo on there trying to make it seem like I got it twisted.
I'm with you on that one. My Plume Veil clone is logoless and I think it looks way better than the authentic.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't be a racist asshole. They made Dance Dance Revolution, and apparently make you mad.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.
I fail to see how that was racist or even slightly derogatory. I am from Scotland, and all we've done for the human experience is......umm.....ok, pretty much everything...BUT STILL!!!!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd rather clones were all made without logos. I'm not out to even try to pretend I have the real thing if I don't actually, so I definitely don't want a logo on there trying to make it seem like I got it twisted.
i think that will just come down to demand we are seeing some come with logos, some without. they are monitoring which ones sell better and thats what theyll produce. people vote with dollars

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Fuck metal tubes
I use Raptor and OKR boxes. I just aquired an authentic VaporShark but it's still a box.

But for those who do Here you go:

Infinite Skeleton Key Mod clone

Now go sue Infinite for your problems, not us!

VU Sponsors