Become a Patron!

Celebrity Deathwatch

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually did not enjoy him but I feel sympathy for him and his family, she was way to young but according to the stories she fought hard. Sad to see another person die from cancer and another reason I am glad I quit smoking.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had to..

giphy.gif

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yankees pitcher and 'Ball Four’ author Jim Bouton dies at 80

"I never meant to make an investigation of a subculture. I just wanted to share the nonsense"

Ex-Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton was a 20-game winner, won two World Series games, spent 10 years in the big leagues — and made a bigger impact with a pen in his hand than a baseball.

The author of the groundbreaking hardball tell-all “Ball Four” died Wednesday following a battle with a brain disease linked to dementia, according to friends of the family. The Newark, N.J., native was in the Massachusetts home he shared with his wife Paula Kurman after weeks of hospice care. He was 80.

Bouton, who made his Major League debut in 1962, threw so hard in his early years that his cap routinely flew off his head as he released the ball. By the time he reached the expansion Seattle Pilots in 1969, the sore-armed Bouton reinvented himself as a knuckleballer.

Bouton spent that season collecting quotes, notes and anecdotes about life in the big leagues for his acclaimed book “Ball Four." Released amid a storm of controversy, the account of Bouton’s tumultuous year was the only sports book cited when the New York Public Library drew up its list of the best books of the 20th century.

In “Ball Four,” Bouton exposed in great detail the carousing of Yankees legend Mickey Mantle, the widespread use of stimulants (known as “greenies”) in Major League locket rooms, and the spectacularly foul mouth of Seattle Pilots manager Joe Schultz.

“Amphetamines improved my performance about five percent,” Bouton once observed. “Unfortunately, in my case that wasn’t enough.”

But the book caused most of his old teammates to ostracize him, and he was blackballed from Yankees events for nearly 50 years until the team made amends last season by inviting Bouton to the annual Old-Timers Day event, where he was given an emotional standing ovation.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yankees pitcher and 'Ball Four’ author Jim Bouton dies at 80

"I never meant to make an investigation of a subculture. I just wanted to share the nonsense"

Ex-Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton was a 20-game winner, won two World Series games, spent 10 years in the big leagues — and made a bigger impact with a pen in his hand than a baseball.

The author of the groundbreaking hardball tell-all “Ball Four” died Wednesday following a battle with a brain disease linked to dementia, according to friends of the family. The Newark, N.J., native was in the Massachusetts home he shared with his wife Paula Kurman after weeks of hospice care. He was 80.

Bouton, who made his Major League debut in 1962, threw so hard in his early years that his cap routinely flew off his head as he released the ball. By the time he reached the expansion Seattle Pilots in 1969, the sore-armed Bouton reinvented himself as a knuckleballer.

Bouton spent that season collecting quotes, notes and anecdotes about life in the big leagues for his acclaimed book “Ball Four." Released amid a storm of controversy, the account of Bouton’s tumultuous year was the only sports book cited when the New York Public Library drew up its list of the best books of the 20th century.

In “Ball Four,” Bouton exposed in great detail the carousing of Yankees legend Mickey Mantle, the widespread use of stimulants (known as “greenies”) in Major League locket rooms, and the spectacularly foul mouth of Seattle Pilots manager Joe Schultz.

“Amphetamines improved my performance about five percent,” Bouton once observed. “Unfortunately, in my case that wasn’t enough.”

But the book caused most of his old teammates to ostracize him, and he was blackballed from Yankees events for nearly 50 years until the team made amends last season by inviting Bouton to the annual Old-Timers Day event, where he was given an emotional standing ovation.
Well shit!
Yet another cool person gone.
I think I still have my signed copy of (Ball Four).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That's sad. Imagine how Cloris Leachman must feel, having outlived Mary and now Valerie -- and I think Cloris is older than either of them. And of course, Betty White is still going strong, older than all three!

The woman who does the voice of Marge Simpson played Rhoda's younger sister, on that short-lived TV show... "This is Carlton your doorman."

Andria

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought it was wishful thinking at first when I heard he died. It was so very convenient. Stranger than fiction and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
'Easy Rider' Peter Fonda dead at 79: 'Please raise a glass to freedom'

“It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away,” the family said, adding Fonda “passed away peacefully on Friday morning, Aug. 16 at 11:05am at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by family. The official cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/easy-rider-star-peter-fonda-dead-at-79-225432647.html

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

“It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away,” the family said, adding Fonda “passed away peacefully on Friday morning, Aug. 16 at 11:05am at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by family. The official cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/easy-rider-star-peter-fonda-dead-at-79-225432647.html
This is sad:(:(:( One of the Greats in acting

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! :sad::cry::sad::tantrum:

Andria

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Two Tickets To Paradise- Eddie Money