Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Are you kidding me? I spent two years wanting to off myself, before some helpful shrink finally tried me out with Effexor, which WORKS, which is exactly why I can't sympathize with those who put their family thru their actual DEATH, when they could have taken some medication and gotten better. Sure it's hard to treat -- but impossible if they don't even TRY. He should have thought of those family members and gotten some treatment!

Andria

and if the Effexor hadn't worked? If no anti-depressant had worked for you like many of us who take them and no longer feel suicidal but no longer feel nothing at all.

A great man once said "I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all":

I'd figure that since you have the same problems that people who commit suicide do you would have enough empathy to realize that you were very possibly one quack doctor, misdiagnoses, or adverse side effect away from easily reaching "Total fucking IDIOT" status.

But I guess not.

I know all about almost dying a half dozen times and the PTSD that comes along with it.
The depression that comes along with after a near fatal car accident being told at 18 years old that I will never be able to do any of the sports and other fun activities I had enjoyed, along with being told that my career as a welder is over.

Then this happened: (I edited my name out for obvious reasons)
Untitled000edit.jpg Untitled001edit.jpg Untitled002edit.jpg Untitled003edit.jpg

Anti-Depressants made me feel NOTHING.
Not depressed, but I could be walking down the street and an infant and a puppy could have been blown away by a street thug and i'd feel nothing.

"I don't give a fuck" became the answer to any questions asked to me.

I called it the answer to any and every question.

I figured out that I truly like myself when not on anti depressants so how can I be depressed if I like myself?

But when I was on the anti depressants I hated myself and everyone else.

So I figured the healthy thing (for me and those around me) would be to not take them.

Millions of others feel the same as me when Doctors try to throw pills that either don't work at all or work wrong at a problem.

For the "Fuck the FDA, I hate Big Pharma" person on the forum you seem to have double standards when pills are thrown at problems that do not relate to smoking.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
and if the Effexor hadn't worked? If no anti-depressant had worked for you like many of us who take them and no longer feel suicidal but no longer feel nothing at all.

A great man once said "I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all:

I'd figure that since you have the same problems that people who commit suicide do you would have enough empathy to realize that you were very possibly one quack doctor, misdiagnoses, or adverse side effect away from easily reaching "Total fucking IDIOT" status.

But I guess not.

I know all about almost dying a half dozen times and the PTSD that comes along with it.
The depression that comes along with after a near fatal car accident being told at 18 years old that I will never be able to do any of the sports and other fun activities I had enjoyed, along with being told that my career as a welder is over.

View attachment 87606 View attachment 87607 View attachment 87608

Not depressed, but I could be walking down the street and an infant and a puppy could have been blown away by a street thug and i'd feel nothing.

I figured out that I truly like myself when not on anti depressants so how can I be depressed if I like myself?

So I figured the healthy thing (for me and those around me) would be to not take them.

Millions of others feel the same as me when Doctors try to throw pills that either don't work at all or work wrong at a problem.

For the "Fuck the FDA, I hate Big Pharma" person on the forum you seem to have double standards when pills are thrown at problems that do not relate to smoking.
I've chatted with you many times about what you've dealt with, but that police account is fucking chilling. How you survived that, I have no idea.

:hug:<3

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I did try a couple others before the Effexor; Prozac actually made it worse, at least the rage -- I screamed so loudly at one point, I gave myself a nosebleed. Welbutrin did nothing at all except give me puffy ankles. Fortunately, Effexor worked, not just on my depression, but on the PTSD-inspired anxiety/panic.

If Effexor hadn't worked, I'd have kept trying until I found something that did work -- in conjunction with the good therapy I was receiving. I had good motivation, you see: a teenaged son that I knew would be irreparably fucked up, if his mother committed suicide. I also *knew* that my problem was a brain chemistry problem, having suffered something similar, though not quite as severe, post-partum, so I knew that my feelings weren't based on any actual reality ("you're better off without me", etc), but were the product of a disturbance in my brain.

One reason I despise the FDA/BP so much is because of how they try to push this type of medication on those who perhaps don't truly need it, and if one isn't working well, then take another with it! Take 3 or 10 more! The therapy was the part that actually *helped* me, the medication just got me into a state that could benefit from the good therapy, and learn those coping skills, so that eventually I could get off the medication, and not need it again, though I have since dealt with some real-world problems that made PTSD and peri-menopause look like a veritable day at the beach.

And the withdrawal from Effexor made cigarette withdrawal look pretty tame, too -- those full-body electrical surges like BZZT! right in your brain, every 3-5 minutes, not fun at all. It required over 2 yrs of steady constant weaning down, to get free of it without total physical meltdown. I will NEVER take SSRIs again, UNLESS I am again at the point of suicide, because even drug dependence and painful withdrawal is preferable to imposing a permanent solution on a temporary problem. But, thanks to that excellent therapy and the coping skills I was able to learn, I'm doubtful that I will ever reach that state again -- those real-world problems I endured in the years since getting free of Effexor pushed me close to it, but never quite that far again; I kept holding on, knowing that if I did, eventually I would see daylight again. And I have.

I am not one who would say "what did so-and-so have to be depressed about, he's rich and famous, blah blah blah," because I know, it's an illness, not a mood. But I also hate this facile reaching for suicide that seems to be quite the vogue these days with the famous, who should certainly be in a position to receive good care -- yes, it's an illness, and a sad, troubling one, both for the ill and all those who love them... but it can be treated successfully. Pills aren't the answer, but they can be a good bridge to reach calmer waters, to be able to begin the mending.

Andria

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Well, not sure how else to say this... so I guess I'll just do blunt.

Why he had this thought, I'll simply never know. Did he try to get help? Yep, and I didn't even know he had seen anyone until after the fact. Did I consider him to be an idiot? FAR from it, he was quite well one of the most intelligent people I've known in my life. I cannot explain what goes through the mind of someone that takes their own life, I can only imagine that they felt so much pain that they simply made a choice that would end that for them. I do doubt that my dad considered what the rest of us would go through over the next days, months, years in those final moments. Did he have a choice? I can't say that his mind allowed for that in that instant. I have no way of knowing that mindset.

I'm in no way, shape, or form defending suicide. I'm defending that he was an idiot, or anyone else for that matter. His action was selfish, when I'm looking at it. But I will never in my lifetime be able to understand what he, or anyone that has made the decision to follow through on that thought, is going through. He was obviously in some type of pain, pain so deep, but also very well hidden from all of us, and I hope to never experience that without seeking help.

My dad was not an idiot.
<3 :hug: <3

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Well, not sure how else to say this... so I guess I'll just do blunt.

Why he had this thought, I'll simply never know. Did he try to get help? Yep, and I didn't even know he had seen anyone until after the fact. Did I consider him to be an idiot? FAR from it, he was quite well one of the most intelligent people I've known in my life. I cannot explain what goes through the mind of someone that takes their own life, I can only imagine that they felt so much pain that they simply made a choice that would end that for them. I do doubt that my dad considered what the rest of us would go through over the next days, months, years in those final moments. Did he have a choice? I can't say that his mind allowed for that in that instant. I have no way of knowing that mindset.

I'm in no way, shape, or form defending suicide. I'm defending that he was an idiot, or anyone else for that matter. His action was selfish, when I'm looking at it. But I will never in my lifetime be able to understand what he, or anyone that has made the decision to follow through on that thought, is going through. He was obviously in some type of pain, pain so deep, but also very well hidden from all of us, and I hope to never experience that without seeking help.

My dad was not an idiot.
<3 :hug: <3

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT

A great man once said "I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all:

But I guess not.

View attachment 87617 View attachment 87618 View attachment 87619 View attachment 87620

:hug:

<3

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I did try a couple others before the Effexor; Prozac actually made it worse, at least the rage -- I screamed so loudly at one point, I gave myself a nosebleed. Welbutrin did nothing at all except give me puffy ankles. Fortunately, Effexor worked, not just on my depression, but on the PTSD-inspired anxiety/panic.

If Effexor hadn't worked, I'd have kept trying until I found something that did work -- in conjunction with the good therapy I was receiving. I had good motivation, you see: a teenaged son that I knew would be irreparably fucked up, if his mother committed suicide. I also *knew* that my problem was a brain chemistry problem, having suffered something similar, though not quite as severe, post-partum, so I knew that my feelings weren't based on any actual reality ("you're better off without me", etc), but were the product of a disturbance in my brain.

One reason I despise the FDA/BP so much is because of how they try to push this type of medication on those who perhaps don't truly need it, and if one isn't working well, then take another with it! Take 3 or 10 more! The therapy was the part that actually *helped* me, the medication just got me into a state that could benefit from the good therapy, and learn those coping skills, so that eventually I could get off the medication, and not need it again, though I have since dealt with some real-world problems that made PTSD and peri-menopause look like a veritable day at the beach.

And the withdrawal from Effexor made cigarette withdrawal look pretty tame, too -- those full-body electrical surges like BZZT! right in your brain, every 3-5 minutes, not fun at all. It required over 2 yrs of steady constant weaning down, to get free of it without total physical meltdown. I will NEVER take SSRIs again, UNLESS I am again at the point of suicide, because even drug dependence and painful withdrawal is preferable to imposing a permanent solution on a temporary problem. But, thanks to that excellent therapy and the coping skills I was able to learn, I'm doubtful that I will ever reach that state again -- those real-world problems I endured in the years since getting free of Effexor pushed me close to it, but never quite that far again; I kept holding on, knowing that if I did, eventually I would see daylight again. And I have.

I am not one who would say "what did so-and-so have to be depressed about, he's rich and famous, blah blah blah," because I know, it's an illness, not a mood. But I also hate this facile reaching for suicide that seems to be quite the vogue these days with the famous, who should certainly be in a position to receive good care -- yes, it's an illness, and a sad, troubling one, both for the ill and all those who love them... but it can be treated successfully. Pills aren't the answer, but they can be a good bridge to reach calmer waters, to be able to begin the mending.

Andria

Psychotherapy did help me because you could tell the person anything and everything unlike friends and family.
In fact it was a good place to complain about friends and family.

The psychiatrist was a different story.
If i came in with a side effect he'd have an extra pill to add.
If a pill made me unable to sleep he'd prescribe a sleeping pill. If that made me have trouble waking up in the morning then he'd prescribe me something for that.

So instead of just changing the first pill he'd add on a half dozen more until my IQ was cut I half and i resembled a zombie.

There is one anxiety pill that i found i like over the years and as long as I'm prescribed that one I'll pretend to take whatever else they feel like prescribing.

I have never found a psychiatrist that will only prescribe anxiety meds. They want you on an anti depressant even if you tell them you are not depressed to their face and even if you show no signs of depression.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have never found a psychiatrist that will only prescribe anxiety meds. They want you on an anti depressant even if you tell them you are not depressed to their face and even if you show no signs of depression.

And THAT is my biggest contempt of BP; they've got doctors on their payroll, biggest hucksters ever -- thank god that SOME doctors are not paid PR reps for them. My doc wanted me on Advair for years, though I explained at every visit that I simply didn't need it -- he'd complain that using 8 puffs daily of albuterol wasn't a good way to handle asthma -- but albuterol is a very safe drug with very few side effects; Advair is a steroid and long-acting beta(2)-adrenergic agonist, both of which carry profound potential side effects. I wasn't willing to even consider using it until I quit smoking and became much more aware of my asthma symptoms, just as I wasn't willing to give patches another try, after failing miserably twice.

But the patient always has the power of "no" -- any doctor unaware of that, or unwilling to accept it, will lose that patient. I've changed doctors quite a few times, who were uncomfortable with a proactive patient (or patient's mom, in the case of pediatricians): I won't take ANYTHING without first educating myself as to its intended action and effect, and potential side effects, and likelihood of encountering them.

I actually went for quite a while, in therapy, before I was even willing to give meds a try; primarily because I really wasn't getting any better, and I knew that I HAD TO get better, so I could continue being an effective parent and loving spouse.

One thing I've noticed lately, with all these celebrity suicides: they're all male. It's true that depression is more common in women, because women tend to internalize distress and put on a people-pleasing happy face... but women are also more willing to admit that they're in pain, and need help; men, thanks to societal conditioning, are all about the "I got this;" I think the Monty Python joke of "It's just a flesh wound" when it's actually a case of bleeding out is a perfect illustration of that. But when the brain's chemistry is all fucked up... NOBODY'S "got this"... I think the recent suicides show that very clearly -- rather than admit that they're in pain and need some help, they just off themselves. So maybe what I should have said is that society's conditioning is stupid, to cause such irrational behavior in males.

Andria

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Fuck man that sucks

BAM crew

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
IMG_0487.JPG

I have always remembered those scenes he had with Levon Helm in "The Right Stuff".

"Hey, Ridley, ya got any Beeman's? Loan me some, will you - I'll pay you back later."

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I loved him best in Steel Magnolias and Baby Boom. Until today, I had no idea he was such an extensive playwright, though. Such a talented man.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Glen Campbell was the very first concert I ever attended; my parents took me when they went to see him at the old Atlanta Civic Center, I guess it was about 1970 or so. He was really something. I'm sad that he died, but he's been in really bad shape for a while, so maybe it's a mercy.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glen Campbell was the very first concert I ever attended; my parents took me when they went to see him at the old Atlanta Civic Center, I guess it was about 1970 or so. He was really something. I'm sad that he died, but he's been in really bad shape for a while, so maybe it's a mercy.

Andria

Yeah, his family said awhile back that his Alzheimer's was so bad he couldn't sing or play anymore. For someone like him, that's really sad.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, his family said awhile back that his Alzheimer's was so bad he couldn't sing or play anymore. For someone like him, that's really sad.

I learned of another great who's become unable to sing, though as far as I know, she's still alive: Linda Ronstadt. She has Parkinsons, which apparently prevents her from modulating her priceless vocal cords with accuracy or dexterity. Such a SHAME. :sad:

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I learned of another great who's become unable to sing, though as far as I know, she's still alive: Linda Ronstadt. She has Parkinsons, which apparently prevents her from modulating her priceless vocal cords with accuracy or dexterity. Such a SHAME. :sad:

Andria

Getting old and sick sucks. :(

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Very nice guy. I met Jay several times and he was very down to earth and personable. Sad to hear of his passing

Well, certainly never met him but did enjoy his rolls on some of the old sitcoms

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Damn... Another.

And Bill Cosby lives on :(

BAM crew

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ohhhhhhh noooooooooo not Walter!!!!!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Always listen to Molly Hatchet.

The first time I felt old was when I was in my late 20s. I was talking to a girl in high school about rock bands and mentioned Molly Hatchet. Her response was (and I still remember it word for word today, even though it's been over 20 years): "Molly Hatchet? Oh yeah, I've heard of her." :facepalm:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The first time I felt old was when I was in my late 20s. I was talking to a girl in high school about rock bands and mentioned Molly Hatchet. Her response was (and I still remember it word for word today, even though it's been over 20 years): "Molly Hatchet? Oh yeah, I've heard of her." :facepalm:

Sorta like the line in Have a Cigar... "By the way... which one is Pink?" ;)

Andria

VU Sponsors