Become a Patron!

CelluCotton the Rayon lternative to normal Cotton, your opinion?

E-VAPOURIZED

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone try that alternative wicking material, 'CelluCotton' the Rayon based stuff, not Cotton?

It doe's not get much hype, but been recently using it in my RTA , which is a bit problematic getting normal cotton absolutely right! I think I would recommend to people at their last tether with wicking, because, it's so forgiving, being near enough straight fibres, although it runs a little warmer than cotton, picks up juice flow well, in this case it's worth a stab, definitely!

I'm currently experimenting using a mix of normal cotton in the centre too with the Rayon on the outside and visa versa, creating a improved flow of juice I think? I be interested to know if anyone has experimented mixing the two together in this way before and on it's own? Or give it a go, if your in the experimental mood? And let me know your results?

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forgot this
e9044822aaf871fce2a7ecf0b90e35ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yup. Love rayon. Only thing I use now

Edit: You can get a 40 ft. box from Amazon for like $5-$6 but if you have a Sally's beauty supply near you, you can get a much bigger box for cheaper.

The 3lb box (about 1200ft) is only about $17 and literally will last a lifetime.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup. Love rayon. Only thing I use now

Edit: You can get a 40 ft. box from Amazon for like $5-$6 but if you have a Sally's beauty supply near you, you can get a much bigger box for cheaper.

The 3lb box (about 1200ft) is only about $17 and literally will last a lifetime.
The pink one....lol
My Daughter got a job at sallys...and sent me a case of the 40 ft...

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i use cellucotton rayon too

it is more costly here in australia, i paid $30 for my 12m box. But worth it

Redbullque

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bought a 3 dollar box last October...not even halfway through it...I do prefer my prime cotton bacon for some reason though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am nowhere near 5' into my Rayon, but I do feel there is a difference between using it in a sqounker and an RTA.

Sometimes, it feels like the rayon is giving the RSA 'dry-hits' - and switching to cotton in such cases "solves" it. Meanwhile, in RTA's the rayon always seems to keep 'wet', and I almost never use cotton there anymore.

But, I could be wrong.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am nowhere near 5' into my Rayon, but I do feel there is a difference between using it in a sqounker and an RTA.

Sometimes, it feels like the rayon is giving the RSA 'dry-hits' - and switching to cotton in such cases "solves" it. Meanwhile, in RTA's the rayon always seems to keep 'wet', and I almost never use cotton there anymore.

But, I could be wrong.
Funny..today I was told today to try mavaton x in my rtas..itll work better than the rayon i use daily

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone try that alternative wicking material, 'CelluCotton' the Rayon based stuff, not Cotton?

It doe's not get much hype, but been recently using it in my RTA , which is a bit problematic getting normal cotton absolutely right! I think I would recommend to people at their last tether with wicking, because, it's so forgiving, being near enough straight fibres, although it runs a little warmer than cotton, picks up juice flow well, in this case it's worth a stab, definitely!

I'm currently experimenting using a mix of normal cotton in the centre too with the Rayon on the outside and visa versa, creating a improved flow of juice I think? I be interested to know if anyone has experimented mixing the two together in this way before and on it's own? Or give it a go, if your in the experimental mood? And let me know your results?

It got a lot more hype a few years ago, not so much now. Probably because there's not much money in it for vape suppliers.

I have about 490 feet left from the big box I got back then. It's great stuff, vapes very well. What I found was it wicks a bit different compared to cotton which can sometimes help in a difficult wicking situation. OTOH, KGD and Muji also vape very well :)

The last couple of years I've gone back to cotton for the vast majority of my setups. I prefer not having to stuff my coils as tight, I get the same performance and I find it a bit more consistent to build with. But that's just me, some people swear by the stuff. Whatever works for someone is the best for them.

E-VAPOURIZED

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's defiantly a particular taste that comes with using the stuff, I know that saying that sounds weird, because it's pretty tasteless. I think I'm tasting the coil more, if that makes any sense or is that my imagination?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried the cellucotton but I know quite a few have (in addition to the people here). Mostly heard good things. I've been happy with muji, it's cheap and easy to work with. Wicks better in my rta's than cotton bacon v2 (not impressed to be honest). Ryedan's probably right, not much in it for vape suppliers. It's in a bulk container and so cheap, no real profit for the hassle. Unlike cute little foil pouches, single use strands of cotton with shoelace binders on them, each one wrapped in its own foil wrapper like godiva wicks or some shit. Each one promises to be the cleanestest flavor evers so eventually we'll vape and it'll be such clean wick we won't taste shit. Not even the juice that's how uber clean it is. The cotton fibers won't even be white, they'll be translucent. Or that mavatons x, stuff that's supposed to be good but not paying $32 for a pint jar of couch stuffing. :p

To each their own, there's something out there for everyone and whatever works best for them is the way to go. Even cheap 'premium' cotton like cbv2, I figured up the price difference once. Granted it's over the course of a couple years (because that's how long a $7 bag of muji has lasted me) but the savings were enough to buy a decent mod or atomizer. Nothing crazy but $35-45 some dollars difference if I remember right. Again over a couple years so people might think it amounts to nothing. However in a lump sum it's something and I'd rather spend it on wire or something else. Cellucotton would be even cheaper.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone that lacks Rayon, let alone cotton is a fool. I still have silica AND rayon AND jap-cotton... Whatever works best for a build or a tank is the solution to the problem.

Sometimes the rayon works better; sometimes the cotton works better; some days I look wistfully at the silica.

This is much the same as "more salt" vs "more pepper" vs "have you got tabasco?" and others.. it's a flavor/taste thing - and given folks stupid choices in "mates", I dunno why they have the same issues for flavor.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Never tried the rayon in my tanks yet, but use it in my Profiles.
Perfect diameter right out of the box to fit under the mesh. Just cut to length.
Much better flavor IMO.

RuiG

Member For 1 Year
I started using rayon in the end of 2019. It's now the only thing I use for wicks.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

But, I could be wrong.

I'm exactly the opposite. I love the rayon in RDAs, but only in certain RTAs.

I have some RTAs that can be built for either single- or dual-coil. If I build one of those as single coil, sometimes I need puffiness to fill up those larger wicking ports and prevent leaking.

As cotton swells after it's wet, but rayon shrinks a little, I get better results then with cotton.

I also find that rayon is more forgiving when changing flavors. I don't always have to rewick - I can often just vape the old flavor out and then refill and the new flavor is fairly clean.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anybody tried rayon in really high power cloudy setups? I love it in lower power mtl situations (that also aren't particularly susceptible to leaking).

I have this mental block, based on absolutely nothing that it won't stand up to a tube stack for instance.

Coyote628

ECF Refugee
There's defiantly a particular taste that comes with using the stuff, I know that saying that sounds weird, because it's pretty tasteless. I think I'm tasting the coil more, if that makes any sense or is that my imagination?
I've never tried rayon yet. But cotton does have that "new wick" taste for the first 5 or 6 hits. To minimize this, especially on rda, I'll soak it and fire it a few times with the cap off and not hitting it before I cap it off and vape happily.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use mainly Profile RDAs and the Unity RTA. I found that the Rayon didn't work as well in the Unity so I use cotton. Rayon works just great in the Profiles. I use small RDAs for testing and always use cotton in those.

Coyote628

ECF Refugee
I use mainly Profile RDAs and the Unity RTA. I found that the Rayon didn't work as well in the Unity so I use cotton. Rayon works just great in the Profiles. I use small RDAs for testing and always use cotton in those.
In the time since I posted my last comment, I sat here on the couch thinking I need to re wick my dead rabbit. So I did and now back, reporting that I got it done, dialed in to my satisfaction. Cotton bacon 2.0. Dont have any more prime so I used what I had on hand. I'm using a single coil of beastly creation. 24ga kanthal, doubled up and twisted then doubled up and twisted again in the opposite direction. 6 wraps on 3.5mm mandrel gives me .30ohms. 66watts and its cloudy in here. Building coils isn't hard at all. I had great success the first time I ever tried it. Wicking does have a bit of a learning curve but it's easy to see what went wrong and what to do to fix it if it doesn't work out the first try.

RuiG

Member For 1 Year
Has anybody tried rayon in really high power cloudy setups? I love it in lower power mtl situations (that also aren't particularly susceptible to leaking).

I have this mental block, based on absolutely nothing that it won't stand up to a tube stack for instance.

90w power enough?

Using in Dead Rabbits rda and rta with no problem Dual coil flavour and clouds all over.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
90w power enough?

Using in Dead Rabbits rda and rta with no problem Dual coil flavour and clouds all over.
I certainly do appreciate your input and don't want to be taken the wrong way :)

But the tube stack setups I was thinking of are like 180 - 200 watts.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I certainly do appreciate your input and don't want to be taken the wrong way :)

But the tube stack setups I was thinking of are like 180 - 200 watts.

I don't vape that high @gsmit1 so I have no personal experience advice for you. But FWIW, I wouldn't worry about it. Rayon wicks fast so it should be able to keep up with the power. As long as it stays saturated it should keep the coil from overheating at least as well as cotton would.

But that's just my opinion. Let us know how it goes if you do try it :cool:

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Can someone post a link from Sally's Beauty Supply for the correct one to buy please. All I'm finding is one for $17.49 with a different number. Thanks.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cellucotton Rayon... Rayon in general... Best God damn wicking material ever. In my honest and humble opinion.

Don't like tasting linen? Use rayon. Don't like stainless steel mesh? Use rayon. Don't like swapping wick Everytime you change flavor? Rayon. Don't like burning your wick? Don't use rayon. Use silica or ceramic. LOL!

For me, I love my rayon. Always have since I swapped over from organic cotton balls. I've tried the Japanese cotton. I've tried the SUPIMA cotton. And the cotton strips, etc. Just not a huge fan of cotton anymore. For me, cotton delivers a muted, stale, dry taste. I like my juice to taste rich and vibrant. I don't get that with cotton. Some say they don't get rich vibrant flavors from rayon either. And that's where things get dicey. If you're using rayon, stick with it, if you're using cotton, stick with that, if you're using stainless steel mesh, more power to you boo boo. Whatever wick makes you happy, stick with it. Of course, I have to be a freak and use rayon and stainless steel mesh. LOL! But I also use Genesis style tanks. So, that's explainable.

Part of the reason I even switched to rayon was for better wicking performance. And in all honesty, it works better than the old organic cotton balls. Now of course, here we are... 4 years later, things have changed drastically, RTA and RDA are more forgiving with over packing wicks in channels, whereas before, you measured, you cut, you trimmed, you fluffed, you tucked, you reassembled, you juiced, you got a burnt hit or you flooded or your first hit was unpleasant and tasted off, you drained, you disassembled, and you started at square 0 again. Not to mention, wicking material has also drastically changed. Before you had silica, ceramic, stainless steel, and cotton. Hemp fibers, rayon, and various cotton types were unheard of.

The short answer, use what's best for you. If you buy the cellucotton beauty coil, ensure it says 100% rayon fibers and before you use it, some beauty coils have paper in between them, so be sure to check your box and if you did buy the box with the paper in it, separate the two halves from the paper before use, and enjoy a smooth toot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

On a single battery mech at .11 ohms rayon totally sucks, and, at .08 ohms it just sucks even much harder... not to mention how hard it sucks on a series mech at .25 ohms. I use Cotton Bacon 2.0 for truly warm builds or Cotton Bacon Prime for neutral/warm, but I don't like cool or hot vapes, and I don't like wide open or restricted airflow either. So the idea is always to tweak based on experience to get the airflow to cool down the outside of the coils, evenly across the entire surface of the coils to prevent gunking and to scrape the last grain of flavor from underneath the soles of the RDA. That is, while at the same time also letting the coils keep wicking the juice about equally as fast as the cotton itself so that there's no violent spitback going on, nor cooking the cotton fibers to mush. In essence, the juice flowing from the cotton into the coils is what cools down the inside of the coils while vaping. It's not rocket science. It's just cotton science. :p

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On a single battery mech at .11 ohms rayon totally sucks, and, at .08 ohms it just sucks even much harder... not to mention how hard it sucks on a series mech at .25 ohms. I use Cotton Bacon 2.0 for truly warm builds or Cotton Bacon Prime for neutral/warm, but I don't like cool or hot vapes, and I don't like wide open or restricted airflow either. So the idea is always to tweak based on experience to get the airflow to cool down the outside of the coils, evenly across the entire surface of the coils to prevent gunking and to scrape the last grain of flavor from underneath the soles of the RDA. That is, while at the same time also letting the coils keep wicking the juice about equally as fast as the cotton itself so that there's no violent spitback going on, nor cooking the cotton fibers to mush. In essence, the juice flowing from the cotton into the coils is what cools down the inside of the coils while vaping. It's not rocket science. It's just cotton science. :p

That's odd that you say that. For my super sub-ohm builds, I use rayon without issue. For my series mods, same thing. Only thing I don't use it on is my genny. For obvious reasons. But for everything else, I strictly use rayon.

I find, strangely enough, that in order to keep rayon cleaner, use spaced coils. 'Micro' coils have too many issues with being finnicky about everything. 'Pulse, cool, pulse, tweeze, pulse, cool, pulse, brush, pulse... ' yeah fuck that... Just drop a regular spaced coil in your shit with a 3 - 4mm ID, run your rayon, juice her good, and chooch away. If you need more heat or 'lower resistance', use larger wire. 22AWG, 20AWG, or IF you like using a hydraulic press to wrap your coil, 18AWG. Should be plenty hot for you. I find for my mix of heat and tasty, use 22AWG wire. Granted, I haven't tried my 316L yet, but I have had wonderful experiences with N80.

As for resistance, I fluctuate. Anywhere between .10 - .25, I don't dabble around too often by going below .1 anymore. I don't like burning my juice, I don't like testing my batteries, I don't like burning my finger on my fire button (Hot switch), or I don't like having to run my regulated at 1.21 gigawatts just to wait 13 seconds for my coil to heat up. Also, if you need heat, try dialing your AFC down a bit... Best attys to do it on are the DANG! and the BONZA 1.2, sadly. I'm sure other RDAs will allow you to kill of rows (top down or vice versa) of holes instead of the traditional way (closing off from the side), while allowing enough air into the chamber to cool off the coil, while retaining some warmth for your chooching pleasure.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's odd that you say that. For my super sub-ohm builds, I use rayon without issue. For my series mods, same thing. Only thing I don't use it on is my genny. For obvious reasons. But for everything else, I strictly use rayon.

I find, strangely enough, that in order to keep rayon cleaner, use spaced coils. 'Micro' coils have too many issues with being finnicky about everything. 'Pulse, cool, pulse, tweeze, pulse, cool, pulse, brush, pulse... ' yeah fuck that... Just drop a regular spaced coil in your shit with a 3 - 4mm ID, run your rayon, juice her good, and chooch away. If you need more heat or 'lower resistance', use larger wire. 22AWG, 20AWG, or IF you like using a hydraulic press to wrap your coil, 18AWG. Should be plenty hot for you. I find for my mix of heat and tasty, use 22AWG wire. Granted, I haven't tried my 316L yet, but I have had wonderful experiences with N80.

As for resistance, I fluctuate. Anywhere between .10 - .25, I don't dabble around too often by going below .1 anymore. I don't like burning my juice, I don't like testing my batteries, I don't like burning my finger on my fire button (Hot switch), or I don't like having to run my regulated at 1.21 gigawatts just to wait 13 seconds for my coil to heat up. Also, if you need heat, try dialing your AFC down a bit... Best attys to do it on are the DANG! and the BONZA 1.2, sadly. I'm sure other RDAs will allow you to kill of rows (top down or vice versa) of holes instead of the traditional way (closing off from the side), while allowing enough air into the chamber to cool off the coil, while retaining some warmth for your chooching pleasure.

None of the things you suggest have worked for me... I use Ni80 wire with a maximum thickness of only 26g. Just like corrugated coil builds, spaced coils offer overall weak performance so I never use them, and, I never use micro coils either so 2.5mm ID is always the minimum for me.

Further, these days I never use coils that are much easier to build than alien coils so I use alien coils or similar most of the time. Staggered fused clapton (SFC) coils are the easiest so no regular fused claptons for me either, or, if you give me a simple round wire coil it goes straight into the dust bin.

As for going below .1 ohm and all the problems you describe, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about because I never encountered any of them in any way. Below is what my .08 ohms "thing" looks like, it's quad-core 26g/36g Ni80 aliens at 3mm ID in the Asgard Mini RDA w/ ultem cap on a single battery mech, Samsung 30T. Notice the airflow setting on it in the 2nd pic. (Also notice the bit of Cotton Bacon 2.0 fibers dangling off of one of the coils in the coil pic... yes, it's there because I almost forgot to take a pic before wicking it up. :giggle:)

Asgard Mini RDA.jpg
ultem Asgard Mini.jpg

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
None of the things you suggest have worked for me... I use Ni80 wire with a maximum thickness of only 26g. Just like corrugated coil builds, spaced coils offer overall weak performance so I never use them, and, I never use micro coils either so 2.5mm ID is always the minimum for me.

Further, these days I never use coils that are much easier to build than alien coils so I use alien coils or similar most of the time. Staggered fused clapton (SFC) coils are the easiest so no regular fused claptons for me either, or, if you give me a simple round wire coil it goes straight into the dust bin.

As for going below .1 ohm and all the problems you describe, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about because I never encountered any of them in any way. Below is what my .08 ohms "thing" looks like, it's quad-core 26g/36g Ni80 aliens at 3mm ID in the Asgard Mini RDA w/ ultem cap on a single battery mech, Samsung 30T. Notice the airflow setting on it in the 2nd pic. (Also notice the bit of Cotton Bacon 2.0 fibers dangling off of one of the coils in the coil pic... yes, it's there because I almost forgot to take a pic before wicking it up. :giggle:)

View attachment 154295
View attachment 154296

Years ago, when the VTC3 and 4 were the batteries to have, I haven't vented a battery yet, but I have dangerously exceeded its amp limits and caused the battery and mech to get hot. But again, that was years ago, and the resistances I was playing with was .05 and lower. We're talking 3x stranded parallel coils wrapped around 22g needles. Usually 2 wraps (for obvious reasons), wraps touched, vapor was like eating fire, and when it fired, man, was she pissed. If it wasnt the button getting hot, the mod and the battery itself was hot. Maybe you got lucky? Don't know, but I don't dabble with that kind of power anymore.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered a box of the Cellucotton 100% Rayon... just because. It's dirt cheap and I want to experiment with it some more. Can also give some away.

VU Sponsors