Become a Patron!

Changed the wires for the first time ! Yey !

Chuuuckieee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i was using the pre build wires that came with my limitless plus for like 2 weeks .. And i noticed throat icky feeling for the first few hits.. The wires were already black.. My friend told me that they needed to be replaced already..
I used pre built clapton wires for now.. And the yummy taste of my ejuice came back :) no more icky throat hits..

Hope to be able to build my own coils moving forward :D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:hamster:Screen shot! ;);)
Well done on your first coil change :).

This is no way a criticism, just some advice, the next time you do it, before you wick your coil, you will probably want to remove any hot spots that may be occurring on your coil-to do this, simply heat the coil till it glows, stop applying power, and use some tweezers to pinch it together.

Do this until the coil is heating from the middle towards the outside, with no areas noticeably brighter than others-these would be hot spots that will probably lead to a bit of cotton burning and a burnt taste.

You will be making your own coils in no time as you seem to want to do this, I recommend steam engine for everyone http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp .

That is the coil wrapping page. You input your wires gauge, and the resistance and size of coil you want. It will tell you how many wraps to aim for around your chosen size bit.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Practice makes perfect.
Place the coil on a rod of the same ID as the coil when you install it, it will make installing and aligning it properly much easier (just make sure not to fire while you do it).
Once it's aligned and close to the posts tighten the screws and pull the coil away (with the rod), this will tighten and straighten the coil.
Use tweezers (preferably ceramic) to check for hotspots and pinch it from the sides If you don't want it to be spaced.

Last edited:

Chuuuckieee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well done on your first coil change :).

This is no way a criticism, just some advice, the next time you do it, before you wick your coil, you will probably want to remove any hot spots that may be occurring on your coil-to do this, simply heat the coil till it glows, stop applying power, and use some tweezers to pinch it together.

Do this until the coil is heating from the middle towards the outside, with no areas noticeably brighter than others-these would be hot spots that will probably lead to a bit of cotton burning and a burnt taste.

You will be making your own coils in no time as you seem to want to do this, I recommend steam engine for everyone http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp .

That is the coil wrapping page. You input your wires gauge, and the resistance and size of coil you want. It will tell you how many wraps to aim for around your chosen size bit.

Hi !!! Thank you soo much for your advise ;)
Will definitely take that in mind the next time

Chuuuckieee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Practice makes perfect.
Place the coil on a rod of the same ID as the coil when you install it, it will make installing and aligning it properly much easier (just make sure not to fire while you do it).
Once it's aligned and close to the posts tighten the screws and pull the coil away (with the rod), this will tighten and straighten the coil.
Use tweezers (preferably ceramic) to check for hotspots and pinch it from the sides If you don't want it to be spaced.

Hi !!! Thank you :stars:
But i kind of like it with spaces so i can see the cotton inside if it is burned.. is it not recommended?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You can do spaced coils, just try to make the spaces more even for better performance. Your first build looks a lot better than my first build did! Good job!

Welcome VU!

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But i kind of like it with spaces so i can see the cotton inside if it is burned.. is it not recommended?

Even a somewhat raggedy self wound coil most of the time will work as well or better than "factory coils", and doing it yourself is a damn site cheaper...so even if you mess up a few the cost is low......if you mess up too bad you probably won't do it that way again, so as a result every coil you wind will be better than the last one.......................hard to beat your own experiences for learning.....

Get yourself an inexpensive coil winding set and pretty soon you'll be winding coils nice and evenly spaced...or when squezed together will look like "racing coils"........personally I usually have to "tweak" any pre-made coils I've bought...............

I just buy the type wire I want to play with and wrap my own...single wire, Clapton or whaterver and "Roll your own".

Chuuuckieee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even a somewhat raggedy self wound coil most of the time will work as well or better than "factory coils", and doing it yourself is a damn site cheaper...so even if you mess up a few the cost is low......if you mess up too bad you probably won't do it that way again, so as a result every coil you wind will be better than the last one.......................hard to beat your own experiences for learning.....

Get yourself an inexpensive coil winding set and pretty soon you'll be winding coils nice and evenly spaced...or when squezed together will look like "racing coils"........personally I usually have to "tweak" any pre-made coils I've bought...............

I just buy the type wire I want to play with and wrap my own...single wire, Clapton or whaterver and "Roll your own".

Thank you!
I am really concerned in getting the flavor rather than clouds..do you know what type of wire should i use and what kind of build? :/
Still using this fused clapton wire but now the flavor is gone :(

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As mentioned, spaced coils are also fine-and you can either make a spaced coil, where there will be a gap between each wrap, no wraps touching the other and this should heat evenly.

It is down to personal preference really, apart from some temp control situations, if you use a spaced coil or a coil that is unspaced.

It is all part of the fun in building and finding that wow, I like that! vape :).

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you!
I am really concerned in getting the flavor rather than clouds..do you know what type of wire should i use and what kind of build? :/

That's usually the coil getting gunked up and/or the wicking getting gunked..............sounds like time to pull the cotton, do a cleaning set of burns and re-wick with fresh cotton.......don't burn coils too hot, several moderate burns until clean is advisable....

This depends on type juice, and how hard and often you vape.........the more sugary the juice will require quicker re-wicks and cleaning....as will hard and steady toking..........just the nature of the beast and another good reason to build your own......especially to use SS as it holds up better and allows for easy and quick redoing...............

Anytime my flavor falls off too much..........clean coils and re-wick.......prime, assemble and get back to vaping....no reason to vape a bad taste.....just remember that if your vaping in VW mode you can easily burn your cotton, another flavor destroyer (and adds a really nasty taste in mouth...yuuuch).......that's why using the TC is the best method, especially for the vapor new to high power mods AND Claptons do get extremely hot...VW mode requires a little practice and finesse...

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you!
As mentioned, it sounds like time to give your coil a quick freshen up- you can also centre it a bit and get rid of any hotspots this time too :).

Remove your cotton, and turn the wattage down a little. Fire your mod, until the coils glow. Do this a few times, and usually they will be clean, but sometimes you may need to give them a little brush whilst you are doing this, being careful not to burn yourself.

When the coil is clean-get your tweezers ready! Glow the coil again, then while it is glowing but NOT FIRING, squeeze the coil together with the tweezers. Repeat this until the wraps are touching, and it is heating nicely from the middle-out, if you was using higher wattage you may not notice this and it may seem to all glow at the same time.

Next, get your cotton, and cut a bit off. You want enough that there is a bit of resistance when you pull either way, but not so much the cotton can not move, as you will have wicking issues.

Then, simply trim your cotton, tuck it into your juice well, and add your favourite flavour. Give it a moment to wick to the centre of the coil, and you will have a nice tasting build again.

VU Sponsors