Become a Patron!

charging questions

hey guys and gals, I have a general question about the charging on vape mods. I own a Smok stick v8 and an eleaf istick QC 200. The stick v8 charges at around 1 amp and usually takes 4 hrs to fully charge from empty, which is too long considering it only has a 3000 mil/amp battery. my eleaf which is known to have battery issues will only charge at .5 amps and its a 5200 mil/amp battery so in theory it should take 10-11 hrs to fully charge, but in reality my QC seems to take about 20 hrs to fully charge. I know the charging is controlled internally but is there any standard format these devices follow for charging? the reason why I ask is that I am looking for a way to improve the charging speed of my devices, I have a quick charger that is capable of charging at 2 amp/hrs but none of my devices seem to take advantage of that. My eleaf im pretty sure is dying as the charge time is way too high for any battery. I have already bought a different vape mod ( smoant battlestar) that has replaceable batteries so I wont have to deal with this issue much longer but I was just curious if anyone had any insight as to why my charge times are so high?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
hey guys and gals, I have a general question about the charging on vape mods. I own a Smok stick v8 and an eleaf istick QC 200. The stick v8 charges at around 1 amp and usually takes 4 hrs to fully charge from empty, which is too long considering it only has a 3000 mil/amp battery. my eleaf which is known to have battery issues will only charge at .5 amps and its a 5200 mil/amp battery so in theory it should take 10-11 hrs to fully charge, but in reality my QC seems to take about 20 hrs to fully charge. I know the charging is controlled internally but is there any standard format these devices follow for charging? the reason why I ask is that I am looking for a way to improve the charging speed of my devices, I have a quick charger that is capable of charging at 2 amp/hrs but none of my devices seem to take advantage of that. My eleaf im pretty sure is dying as the charge time is way too high for any battery. I have already bought a different vape mod ( smoant battlestar) that has replaceable batteries so I wont have to deal with this issue much longer but I was just curious if anyone had any insight as to why my charge times are so high?

I would charge according to the MFG specs but I have charged using higher amps like 2 with watching and feeling very carefully. I notice if too high the battery in question will get very hot which is kind of scary if you fall a sleep or forget it. You, and your home may catch on fire.

housefire1.jpg image.jpg

I was under the impression that vape mods with internal batteries had protections built in in case the batteries were to "run away"

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I was under the impression that vape mods with internal batteries had protections built in in case the batteries were to "run away"
When your using the device vaping mainly. But there may be some that have protection for charging, you would need to look at the MFG specs on the device.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I have a eLeaf internal battery mod, and at 2 amps it gets super hot. and with no indication it is protected from over charging.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Stick V8 Baby Battery Features: Which I do not see charging protection but on Eleaf iStick QC 200W it does have charging protection
  • 2000 mAh Integrated Battery
    • 3.4V to 4.2V Output
    • 20A Continuous Max Discharge
    • Micro USB Charge Port
      • 5V 0.8A Maximum Charging Port
    • Intelligent Battery Life Indicator
    • 30 to 45W Output Range
  • Smart Mechanical Style Output
    • Output Dependent on Current State of Battery
    • Full Safety and Protection Suite
      • 8 Second/Low Resistance/Short Circuit/Low Voltage
  • Durable Alloy Construction
  • Stainless Steel 510 Thread Point
    • 24K Gold Plated Spring Loaded Connection
  • Single Button Operation
    • LED Backlit

• Features and Specs for Eleaf iStick QC 200W:
    • Dimensions: 3-3/16" x 2-1/16" x 15/16"
    • Spring Loaded 510 Contact Pin
    • Battery Capacity: Built-in 5000mAh Battery (Triple Series)
    • Wattage Output: 1.0 - 200.00w
    • Maximum Output Current: 50A
    • Variable Temperature Control : Nickel / Titanium / Stainless Steel 316/ TCR
    • Temperature Control Range: 100 - 315C / 200 - 600F
    • Smart Mode
    • Preheat Functionality
    • Resistance Range: 0.05 - 1.5ohm for Variable Temperature Control Mode
    • Resistance Range: 0.1 - 3.5ohm for Variable Wattage and Smart Mode
    • Different Switchable Interfaces
    • Micro USB Charging Port
    • 1.5A Quick Charge with QC USB Cable
    • Cell Balancing Tickle Charge System
    • Upgradeable Firmware
    • Custom Logo
    • Reset Button
    • Dual Circuit Protection
    • Over-Charging Protection
    • Over-Current Protection
    • Over-Discharging Protection

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Now I might have to pick up that Eleaf iStick QC 200W . Comes in a kit with tank i seen for $52
Love internal battery mods instead of swapping out bats.

well the eleaf is the main problem at a 20 hr charge time, the stick v8 at 5hr charge time is fine even though its longer than what it should be, it will still fully charge overnight. the eleaf is supposed to be able to charge at 1.5mA but its not doing it, I was just wondering if there was any way or setting on vape mods that need to be set in order to charge properly. I am pretty new to vaping but I have read the eleaf manual that came with my mod and I cannot figure out why the charge time is so long. there is nothing I can find to indicate what the charge time should be but with basic math a 5200mA battery should be charging in 10-11hrs at a charge rate of .5mA, no 20hrs.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
well the eleaf is the main problem at a 20 hr charge time, the stick v8 at 5hr charge time is fine even though its longer than what it should be, it will still fully charge overnight. the eleaf is supposed to be able to charge at 1.5mA but its not doing it, I was just wondering if there was any way or setting on vape mods that need to be set in order to charge properly. I am pretty new to vaping but I have read the eleaf manual that came with my mod and I cannot figure out why the charge time is so long. there is nothing I can find to indicate what the charge time should be but with basic math a 5200mA battery should be charging in 10-11hrs at a charge rate of .5mA, no 20hrs.
What source are you using for the charging power?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not sure, but I always thought you needed to use the Avatar Quick Charger (QC2.0) wall adapter from Wismec to be able to use the quick charge feature in the iStick QC 200W, which makes it possible to charge at 1.5 amps. Could be they did this to prevent USB ports on a computer from getting fried, 1 amp wall adapters catching on fire, etc., but again I really don't know.

im charging from the wall via a tofu adapter which shows me the charge rates of anything plugged into it, its a 5v charger with variable amperage that is controlled by the device ( so one cannot force a device to take more than it could handle ) so its max amp output is 8amps, freq is 50-60hz. I cannot find anything on their website as to what the charge time / rate should be for it but like I said before, at .5mA charge rate it should only be taking 10-11hrs to charge, I put mine on the charger yesterday at about 11:00 am when it had around 25% battery left and the voltage of the batteries were all around 3.46v. It is about 6am the next day and its still charging showing about 90% and the voltage on the batteries is about 4.04v. The eleaf seems to be wasting power somewhere in the charging cycle or the OLED screen is using way too much showing me the battery symbol. I just find it hard to believe this is normal, just wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this. is 20 hrs a normal charge time for any vape mod?

EDIT, I suppose its possible the charging cable provided with the eleaf could be the issue, but having a charging cable that cant support .5mA seems a bit odd, plus using the cable for my stick v8 it still only charges at .5mA when the stick v8 will charge anywhere from 1mA-.5mA. it seems like the charging chip is throttling the charge speed, but the fact its getting rid of some of the .5mA is alarming since energy usually is released as heat.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Eleaf has a cell balancing trickle charging system so I suspect it frequently drops the amps to something much lower than .5A and does so in such a way that the tofu adapter cannot detect or indicate this when it happens, or maybe you're just not around to see it when it happens. Either way, if all it did was release the difference as heat, then you'd notice the Eleaf getting way hot instead of only warm. Vaping Biker in his video review of the iStick QC 200W said he charged it on various many different products and that it does take forever to charge if you're not charging it at 1.5 amps so there's your problem. I don't know why the tofu isn't capable to charge the Eleaf at 1.5A. If all else fails, try it with the Avatar Quick Charger like I suggested earlier. BTW the QC 200W contains 3 cells that are 1600 mAh each. So it's not really 5000 mAh, but the runtime is still equivalent to 5000 mAh because, contrary to popular belief, runtime is expressed as Wh (watt hours), not mAh.
Code:
https://youtu.be/PNQARN3roq0?t=601

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I would try a straight 2 amp wall wart since the mod will reduce it to 1.5 amps which are cheap to buy.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The Eleaf has a cell balancing trickle charging system so I suspect it frequently drops the amps to something much lower than .5A and does so in such a way that the tofu adapter cannot detect or indicate this when it happens, or maybe you're just not around to see it when it happens. Either way, if all it did was release the difference as heat, then you'd notice the Eleaf getting way hot instead of only warm. Vaping Biker in his video review of the iStick QC 200W said he charged it on various many different products and that it does take forever to charge if you're not charging it at 1.5 amps so there's your problem. I don't know why the tofu isn't capable to charge the Eleaf at 1.5A. If all else fails, try it with the Avatar Quick Charger like I suggested earlier. BTW the QC 200W contains 3 cells that are 1600 mAh each. So it's not really 5000 mAh, but the runtime is still equivalent to 5000 mAh because, contrary to popular belief, runtime is expressed as Wh (watt hours), not mAh.
Code:
https://youtu.be/PNQARN3roq0?t=601
That might be the problem it trickles all the time from the get go where other chargers only trickle when fully charged to maintain the fullness without over charging.

ahhh thank you for that link! That explains it well. all the reviews I was finding were all fan videos that were not addressing my issue and after 3 or 4 i gave up

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I just bought another one of these instead for $29.33 shipped Have 2 already but love them for travel.

I have 2 of these mods which I take both with me when traveling since no bats to carry or worries at the airport. With having a 5000 mah internal battery it lasts me all day long plus you can charge while vaping also.

Such a great deal I just bought another one
Order Status: Awaiting Shipment
Order Date: Dec 3rd 2017
Order Total: $29.33 USD

Your Order Contains:
1 x Eleaf iPower 80W Box Mod
(Color: Brushed Silver)

https://vaporjoe.blogspot.com/2017/12/simple-eleaf-ipower-80w-5000mah-tc-vw.html?spref=fb

addtext_com_MTE0OTA1MjY4ODI.jpg

VU Sponsors