Become a Patron!

Cheap mod

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’m looking for a decent squonk clone mod. At first I was thinking of the boxer but so far the Phoenix mod looks like it’d be better any others I should consider? I’m new to mechs but I have looked at ohm law and stuff so I understand how to find the safe limit for my batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What attie are you looking to use and what type of coils?

That will be a huge driver in looking at what kind of mech squonker will suit your needs :)

EDIT: Welcome to the Underground :wave:

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What attie are you looking to use and what type of coils?

That will be a huge driver in looking at what kind of mech squonker will suit your needs :)

EDIT: Welcome to the Underground :wave:

I ordered the hadaly clone and a goon clone and may occasionally use my Serpent SMM on it even though it’s a rta. For coils I tend to use Claptons

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I ordered the hadaly clone and a goon clone and may occasionally use my Serpent SMM on it even though it’s a rta. For coils I tend to use Claptons

What resistance (ohms)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If you don't mind buying from China, the CopperVape would be an excellent choice - well under $40

A lot of folks are looking forward to this release https://www.mojovapor.com/product/pulse-bf-box-mod/ I'm considering getting one myself but they are on pre-order, which is not for everybody, lol

https://www.covalvapes.com/products/wotofo-ram-mechanical-squonker-box-mod-by-stentorian - don't have one yet, but people I trust like them. Can get them for under $50 from China

The Pico Squeeze is still available for under $30 - however, it is unregulated vs a true mech

The Pico is fine for higher ohm builds, but seems to struggle with claptons if you build under .5 ohms IME

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you don't mind buying from China, the CopperVape would be an excellent choice - well under $40

A lot of folks are looking forward to this release https://www.mojovapor.com/product/pulse-bf-box-mod/ I'm considering getting one myself but they are on pre-order, which is not for everybody, lol

https://www.covalvapes.com/products/wotofo-ram-mechanical-squonker-box-mod-by-stentorian - don't have one yet, but people I trust like them. Can get them for under $50 from China

The Pico Squeeze is still available for under $30 - however, it is unregulated vs a true mech

The Pico is fine for higher ohm builds, but seems to struggle with claptons if you build under .5 ohms IME

Cheapest ram I found is like 51 to 52 dollars. I was considering that one day. Yeah I seen the pico but almost instantaneously said no.

The pulse seems interesting so may try to wait for that one. I currently have a cheap smok alien 220w and getting tired of it haha.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/8656202-authentic-steel-vape-phoenix-18650-20700-bf that is the one I was thinking of getting; would that be a good one

On a sorta unrelated note do I only have to worry about building based on numbers that are safe for the battery. I seen scooping around, on some mods not to go below certain ohm because of the battery contacts and such?

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Haven't tried that one myself - surely someone around here has!

There are so many new cheap box squonkers coming out of Asia I can't keep up anymore, lol

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haven't tried that one myself - surely someone around here has!

There are so many new cheap box squonkers coming out of Asia I can't keep up anymore, lol

Appearance seems it may be good but appearance can be deceptive. I think the contacts are made of brass from what I read. Not sure how good that is. After discount it is like 32$ which isn’t bad. Do I have to worry about ohms when considering the battery contact?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Appearance seems it may be good but appearance can be deceptive. I think the contacts are made of brass from what I read. Not sure how good that is. After discount it is like 32$ which isn’t bad. Do I have to worry about ohms when considering the battery contact?

Always - wish the contacts on it were copper, even cheap copper or copper plate beats brass

But, when you buy a budget squonker (yes, I own a few, lol) you have to find the best you can at what you can or are willing to pay

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is .445 or so safe for brass or what is the safest ohm for brass

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is .445 or so safe for brass or what is the safest ohm for brass

It's safe if you have good batteries but it's hard to say if it will fire it at a satisfying level or not

Depends on how much drop there is, which can be pretty high when power travels through brass

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Darn. I have two Samsung 25r 18650 batteries that looks to be in nice shape. Now to find one cheap with copper then I guess

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Darn. I have two Samsung 25r 18650 batteries that looks to be in nice shape. Now to find one cheap with copper then I guess

Most of the less expensive ones use SS or copper plate

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Originally I was thinking of trying a boxer, hidra, or I think it’s called icarius; all clones ofc since they are cheap

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Originally I was thinking of trying a boxer, hidra, or I think it’s called icarius; all clones ofc since they are cheap. There is one I really like but no reviews or anything it’d match my tattoo
https://m.fasttech.com/products/302...l-storage-styled-bf-squonk-mechanical-mod-kit

I thought by now that at least a few people that own and have used some of these clones would have posted their two cents by now, lol

I know people love or hate the Boxer clone and a lot of people rip out the contacts and rebuild with better quality

Not sure on the others

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ik the assasin creed one uses SS connectors and says virtually no voltage drop. I like the design of it hah. I have the symbol tattooed so it has some meaning to me
Edit: from a post on the assasin creed one it’s pretty much like the frankenskull one
https://m.fasttech.com/forums/-/t/2519298/for-those-wondering

May get that one because I love the look of it. One good thing is they can be modified atleast

This would be my first adventure with Mech mods so it’s gonna be scary but I can build coils and such. Gonna need a ohm meter but I can use my regulated mod to get a estimate of what ohm I’m at as I’m not aiming for real low ohm so I would be relatively safe with a Mech mod I think.

Last edited:

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The assassin creed mod is basically a frankenskull clone,and all you really need to do is change the bottle as they are horrible. I would stay away from the icarus as it is complete junk. The boxer clone is not very good either. The hydra is okay with some modding,but has the potential to be unsafe to use out of the box.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The assassin creed mod is basically a frankenskull clone,and all you really need to do is change the bottle as they are horrible. I would stay away from the icarus as it is complete junk. The boxer clone is not very good either. The hydra is okay with some modding,but has the potential to be unsafe to use out of the box.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Nice. Seems I may get the one I like by appearance then

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have a Frankie clone - it is a fun little mod

However, it has no off switch or safety anywheres, so keep it out of pockets, etc

Also, I had to file the sharp edges around the contacts because it was ripping battery skins before doing that

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first frankenskull I bought I had to take a dremel to the contacts to smooth them out as it tore a battery wrap.The second one I bought was the tea colored clear that was a little more expensive from a different manufacturer,and has not torn any battery wraps.So watch out for that like Lucy said.

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The first frankenskull I bought I had to take a dremel to the contacts to smooth them out as it tore a battery wrap.The second one I bought was the tea colored clear that was a little more expensive from a different manufacturer,and has not torn any battery wraps.So watch out for that like Lucy said.

What do I look for to see if it will have an issue like that. Side note I did order that mod, battery sleeve, and PE bottles

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I did not mention the Frankenclone because I do not consider it a great beginners mech for squonking

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did not mention the Frankenclone because I do not consider it a great beginners mech for squonking

Why is that. Kinda late already ordered it. The case is awesome to me. Wouldn’t be ok as long as I get my ohms correct

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Just because of the problems I mentioned above - no way to block the power without removing the battery and the fact that (me and others) had problems with the contacts ripping the battery skins

I'm sure you'll do fine with it - forewarned is forearmed :)

Despite the problems, I liked the Frankie so much (I could not resist a mod for only $12 at the time) that I ended up getting several higher end small-enclosure squonkers, mostly (but not all) Little Orcas

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just because of the problems I mentioned above - no way to block the power without removing the battery and the fact that (me and others) had problems with the contacts ripping the battery skins

I'm sure you'll do fine with it - forewarned is forearmed :)

Despite the problems, I liked the Frankie so much (I could not resist a mod for only $12 at the time) that I ended up getting several higher end small-enclosure squonkers, mostly (but not all) Little Orcas

Yeah I know it doesn’t have a lock so I bought those battery sleeves so I can take battery out of the mod and extra battery to carry safely. . So is the contact pointy or something(maybe it’s fixed in this version maybe), so I know what to look for and maybe can easily fix. It was hard to resist that one because of the design. Matching mod and tattoo heh.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I know it doesn’t have a lock so I bought those battery sleeves so I can take battery out of the mod and extra battery to carry safely. . So is the contact pointy or something(maybe it’s fixed in this version maybe), so I know what to look for and maybe can easily fix. It was hard to resist that one because of the design. Matching mod and tattoo heh.

The Frankie is fun and hits pretty well for a super-budget mod

Not sure what people expected for a mod under $15 when the original cost over 200 euros, when you can find it :giggle:

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Frankie is fun and hits pretty well for a super-budget mod

Not sure what people expected for a mod under $15 when the original cost over 200 euros, when you can find it :giggle:

I expect to vape decent and stay within battery limit hah. Figured out usually I vape around 29 or 30w which would mean I should aim for .6 ohm which makes amp at 7 which is well under the Samsung 20r battery rating.

Also I was thinking, should I maybe drill two or three small holes where positive end of battery is so in case of venting?

Last edited:

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do I look for to see if it will have an issue like that. Side note I did order that mod, battery sleeve, and PE bottles

Don't think you'll be able to tell by looking at it.You won't really know until it does or does not tear a battery wrap.Best thing is to try and pull the battery straight out as evenly as possible.

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been researching battery safety everyday still. I seen on ECF a question on direction of battery top. Most people say positive should be up facing the 510 connection, but on the image of the mod it shows positive should be down. So which is the correct answer ya. I would think they way the mod shows it

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
On these little single battery box squonker, they work best positive down - but will fire either way

ndowens

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On these little single battery box squonker, they work best positive down - but will fire either way

Ah didn’t know that . Thought putting I. The wrong way would cause thermal runaway(yes been researching lol)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ah didn’t know that . Thought putting I. The wrong way would cause thermal runaway(yes been researching lol)

In a tube mod it is essential EDIT: positive side up

One a single battery box squonker, positive side down

If you are ever using a parallel or series mech, you absolutely must place each battery according to the manufacturer or maker or you will at minimum melt the mod - or cause the batteries to vent

VU Sponsors