Become a Patron!

Cheap precision 4-wire miliohmeter for coils and more.

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just put this together for accurately matching coils and measuring RDA-to-mod contact resistances, power cable resistances, etc...
With the four-wire configuration two wires pass a constant current through the coil or whatever and the other two measure the voltage across it which almost completely cancels the resistance of the probe leads, and also the point contact resistance between the probes and the test piece. This allows the measurement of the 510 contact resistance between your mod and your tank/RDA or of the current paths in mechanical mods, power supplies, cables, battery packs or such. The screen reads miliohms, so no decimal point.

Usually you need to get an LCR meter for this but I found these things here (there is a cheaper one at $22 but the other one has all the details and specifications on the page) it seemed to say it does not come with kelvin clips but it did so now I have extras lol.
Just give it a lithium battery, a 18650 holder is a convenient solution :), I stuck a 510 connector on it with a selection switch but that's not super useful, also banana plugs but you might as well just have the clips permanently attached to it.
It only goes up to 2ohms but most people will have a multimeter for anything above that.

I'm also building a current/voltage meter that calculates coil resistance and power while a coil is running, see how it changes as it heats, but I want it for general power monitoring too, detecting load resistances of high power LEDs and such, it should work up to 60V and 100A, I'll post that build later.
20d2e468ec.jpg

20d2a599a3.jpg

2114594f21.jpg

20d2a86f03.jpg

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This makes me want to just change the display on my multimeter over to a larger screen LCD with bright blue numbers.

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just get one that's already like that, in fact that seems to be the screen style of most high end multimeters.
I needed this for power supply work and just built it into a coil tester for kicks, if you are wondering why I don't just use a multimeter.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same reason I'd modify one of my current multimeters, totally understandable.

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you mean you have a kelvin-type milliohm meter and you just want a bigger screen on it? Or do you just want a bigger screen like this one on a normal meter? I don't get the connection to the original post...

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you mean you have a kelvin-type milliohm meter and you just want a bigger screen on it? Or do you just want a bigger screen like this one on a normal meter? I don't get the connection to the original post...

After your post it just made me want to add a large bright LCD screen to one of my regular multimeters from the garage.
I don't have any high dollar ones but all of them do already have LCD screens, just not with #s this large.
The only connection to your original post is you gave me the idea.
Sorry for any confusion.

MasterTriangle

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh whoops sorry, not sure what I was thinking...
If it has an LCD screen they can't usually be easily converted to LED without a fair bit of conversion circuitry, but you might be able to add a backlight if it is the right type of LCD by scratching the mirror off the back (although I think most reflection based ones can't work with a backlight? not sure...).
I'd just look out for that feature if you get a new one some time :)

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that's remove the challenge and take away my fun. lol

VU Sponsors