Become a Patron!

Choosing a mod to take a step up.

Hello there everyone.

I have moved up from total ignoramus to elementary level vaping in recent weeks and I'm starting to get a basic idea of brands, mods, wattage, coils, atomizers and so on.

I currently have an iStick Pico and the Pico 25. They seem alright and I'm going to keep them for when I'm on the move.

My next step will be to buy a better one for home use. The idea is that I'll get back from work, crack open a beer and puff out a few clouds that look like the set of an 80s edition of Top of the Pops. I want a really good flavour too.

So here's what I'd like (Excuse any noob naivety in my requirements).

I want to be able to consistently vape at 70 odd watts without the coil turning to poo, with the possibility of taking the occasional super-strong vape at above that wattage. I won't be making my own coils yet. That'll be further down the line.
I want the best possible flavour. I have really enjoyed Ruthless EZ Duz It On Ice juice on a new coil on the Pico 25, but it didn't last that long. If I could regularly recreate the best few vapes I had one magical night last week, I'd be really happy.
I'd like some decent, thick clouds. Not competition winning necessarily, but nice and fat.
I'd like a mod that looks really cool. At the local shop, they had some trendy looking ones in a cabinet. You know, the ones that have people staring at cooing. I wouldn't mind a bit of that.
I could spend up to 90 quid on the mod, and maybe up to 130 quid on the full kit - in that region give or take.

I don't care if...

it's a bit big or heavy, as it will be my home vape.
it doesn't have a lot of features. I just want the wattage, the look, and the clouds. I don't need to faff with loads of modes and specifics yet.

Mod, atomizer, and coil recommendations would be very much appreciated. I'm not in a massive hurry, so if there are new models on the horizon I should consider, I could hold on for a few weeks, or even a bit longer.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The type of atomizer you plan to use is critical - you said you don't want to build yet, which is fine - but do you plan to use pre-built coils or cartridge type coils?

While all components of the vape contribute to how it vapes, the atomizer and coil are critical

Okay, well here comes my first noob-fail for you. I don't know what a cartridge coil is, so therefore I must have been using pre-built ones. All one piece, popped out of a packet. If possible, I'd like to be able to buy pre-built ones, if there are ones good enough out there to get a decent flavour. Unless cartridge coils are better and equally fuss-free. I don't mind shelling out for a decent atomizer. I expected that.

Bear with me and the typical beginner questions I'm throwing out (that you've probably answered 100 times before). Thanks for your reply.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All one piece, popped out of a packet.

Those are cartridge types you describe.

Prebuilts look kinda like a spring and you add the wicking yourself and are the kind you can also build yourself with wire

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Using a rebuildable atty would get you what your looking for. Pre-built coils + wicking material costs less than being enslaved to oem coils and you'll have more flexibility in coil type and wattage. If you want clouds and flavor, choose for that and let the wattage be what it winds up being.
There's different types of rebuildable atty's so if that's your choice you could decide which type.

Okay. Thank you.
Any recommendations for atomizers then? I saw a Voopoo Too mod which looked in my price range and was suitably pretty. So something to whack on the top of that.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
?
RDA
RSA (Too doesn't squonk)
RTA
RDTA

Thanks for your replies Vape Fan. I confess to not knowing the difference between the options listed above. Forgive me. I'm a beginner so if we can combine simplicity with some degree of performance, that's what would work for me.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You could start by researching a little on how those are designed, and what it takes to install coils
and wick + what tools you might need. If you can get an idea of what type of atty you want it would be easier than someone picking for you. Voo Poo Too if you like the design, has a good board and processor and fits most atty's under 26-27mm dia without it overhanging, as the 510 plate is 25mm. It's not a squonker, but doesn't have to be. Just depends on what you want for your home use. Atty with tank, atty without tank, rda where you drip the juice in, or rsa that squonks or drips.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
RDA and RSA are mostly used with a mechanical mod. For any, and esp when using mech mod, you you need to know Ohm's Law and have an excellent understanding of battery safety as well as what battery including brand/model#.
You've been using the tank that came with Pico 25? Ello?
A tank may be the way to go.
RTA has the coil at the bottom and can hold more juice than:
RDTA where the coil is on top of the tank.
Diff primarily being RDTA easier to build/wick and better flavor because coil is on top. But this all depends on the coils used and which RTA and RDTA your comparing.

I have this Pyro 24, take a look. Easy to build and perorms great. Holds 4ml juice and easy to fill. Vic doesn't like the tip and I think it's fine. Easy enough to change.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't want to do your own builds you DON'T want Pre-built coils..... mainly because you still have to the BUILDING part in the atty.. Pre-built coils only remove the step of creating coil wire and making a COIL from it. you still have to know how to build an atty.
What you want is an Atomizer that uses CoilHeads/Cartridges, containing a coil and wick. which gets replaced as an assembly when the wick is used up.. rebuildables are DIY. Prebuilt coils are used in rebuildable atty's take some of the work out of the process, only. And only the EASY part at that.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Just mho, it's just that when new and green, there's a lot to learn and decide. What wire and why, how many wraps, wire wizardry and such. Being able to start with a pre-wrapped/prebuilt coil that you already know the resistance range of, takes a lot of that away and gets you learning how to build on the atty. Then you can learn wires/wrapping/building wire if you want to.

VU Sponsors