Become a Patron!

Cigarettes lessening Headache pain?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Anyone know if there is any truth behind this? What it is in cigarettes that might reduce migraine headache pain and frequency?
Besides nicotine. I am more interested in any other chemical in cigarettes that might have that effect that isn't present in vape juice.
A friend of mine was saying smoking helps her headache, but you can get nicotine from vaping. I'm trying to get her to switch. She already smokes. I won't go into her medical history, but she is seeing a doctor already.
Any ideas?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It is the nicotine in cigarettes that help people that suffer from migraines. Nicotine like caffeine is a vasoconstictor.

Both are known to relieve migraines. Of course now Drs dont recommend cigarettes because of the many known carcinogenics. Coffee on the other hand is recommended and does work for me.

Both nicotine and caffeine withdrawal can cause migraines also so its a sort of catch 22.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It is the nicotine in cigarettes that help people that suffer from migraines. Nicotine like caffeine is a vasoconstictor.

Both are known to relieve migraines. Of course now Drs dont recommend cigarettes because of the many known carcinogenics. Coffee on the other hand is recommended and does work for me.

Both nicotine and caffeine withdrawal can cause migraines also so its a sort of catch 22.
That is what I was thinking too. I was more trying to confirm if there was anything in tobacco smoke, not present in ecigs that would also have an effect on this. I couldn't think of anything in any notable amount though. I'll pass it along.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cigarette smoke contains alkaloids and MAOI's from the "flavoring compounds" they use to make one brand taste the same and keep smokers hooked. Pain relievers for headaches usually contain Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and caffeine.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My son used to get bad headaches and the doctor we took him to suggested drinking things like Gatorade and Powerade.

Both of which worked and he drinks them to this day.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He was low on potassium and other electrolytes. That can cause headaches and some worse stuff.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cigarette smoke contains alkaloids and MAOI's from the "flavoring compounds" they use to make one brand taste the same and keep smokers hooked. Pain relievers for headaches usually contain Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and caffeine.
Migraine meds are a tad stronger, but I can't mention them in forum. :)
I'll mention that I checked into it and it is the nicotine that is working for her, and ecigs give a safer supply that cigarettes.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would think it would be the change in nicotine. Even if getting nicotine from vaping it may not be in the same amounts as with the cigs. I'm also not sure the difference in absorption of the nicotine, ejuice vs smoke. It may differ. Withdrawals can cause severe headaches, whether nicotine, caffeine or anything else. Dehydration will also cause headaches.

Actual migraines can be caused by a number of things, hormones (women/estrogen levels), medications, stress etc. On the bright side your friend is seeing a doctor which means they're likely monitored for other causes. Things like aneurysms, those are no joke. Sometimes they can go unnoticed and passed off as just a headache. As a kid a friend of mine's mom was in the stands at one of our baseball games. She'd taken some aspirin, complained of a headache. He hit a homer, she stood up to cheer him on and the blood clot moved to her brain and she collapsed and passed away right there at the game.

VU Sponsors