Become a Patron!

Clapton coil wire noob need help please!

Recently I begin trying to make my own Clapton wire. I use 26 gauge Kanthal for the core and 32 gauge Kanthal for the Clapton wrap. I use a battery-powered drill and a clamp for clamping my swivels. The swivels are ball bearing swivels and they work great they spend when the drill is going but the problem I'm having is after about an inch or two of Claptoning the 26 gauge Kanthal the core wire will snap off right at the Chuck of the drill. I have tried just putting the core wire it straight in the Chuck completely centered and I've also tried making a 90-degree Bend in it and putting that in the Chuck centered but it doesn't seem to make any difference it always snaps right at the chuck. So if anyone can help me with this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I feel that if I can figure out why this is breaking at the Chuck of the drill I'll be able to get in more exotic builds because I'm able to Clapton very well except for the mentioned above. So please any help would be greatly appreciated thanks all and vape on!

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
It will break if you have to much tension. Don't pull on your drill. Don't pull on your fuse wire. It all takes a lot less tension than you may intuitively want to use. Also 32 gauge is a bit to large for fuse.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I make Clapton Wire I don't use swivels or anything to secure the free end of the core wire. I give the the core wire a twist to straighten it and then I just wrap it. Start slowly at first and then floor it.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Cormic said, you're using too much tension. Ease up a bit when holding your drill. You're only supposed to use enough tension to keep the slack out of your wire.

Here, this video should help you out. Notice how much tension he puts on his wire, and use that as a guide.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
One other thing to try is rather than using the drill to straighten the core wire before starting the wrap
Is stretch it straight from the spool...I do this all the time now creates less micro stress along the wire and works better once you start making aliens to de core the slinky

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip, even though it wasn't meant for me.

That's right, I'm stealing your tips OP! Aren't I horrible? :giggle: :devil:

VU Sponsors