Clapton wire

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have any good tips or suggestions for wrapping wire for a Clapton build? Maybe interior/exterior wire sized, and wrapping methods?

Guven Eryavuz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Its basically practice. And of course a drill :).
You can discard the first half inch since it will be a mess. But if you find the rythm the rest will be ok.
Just make sure that your thumb is firm and tight which guides the outer wire.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, what is the basic technique for using the drill? Having trouble putting together how it works.

cupracer92

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, what is the basic technique for using the drill? Having trouble putting together how it works.
Rip Trippers has a basic clapton coil video on youtube, you should check it out. It should give you a good base to start from. hope that helps.

WharfRat1976

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rips video is good but for some reason his wire is too short to twist. When I wind them the total wire always has multiple twists in it and needs to be straightened. There is a newer video with another guy that basically takes two needle noses and untwists the final wire. I have a hard time figuring out which way to untwist it. One solution that semi works is to just run much shorter wires. I also use masking tape to hold the loose ends together when I am winding on the 32 or 34G wire.

Anyone else have any tips to avoid that overall twist that inevitably happens when you wind a Clapton? I think this is the most flavorful coil to vape with. Just my opinion of course.

cupracer92

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rips video is good but for some reason his wire is too short to twist. When I wind them the total wire always has multiple twists in it and needs to be straightened. There is a newer video with another guy that basically takes two needle noses and untwists the final wire. I have a hard time figuring out which way to untwist it. One solution that semi works is to just run much shorter wires. I also use masking tape to hold the loose ends together when I am winding on the 32 or 34G wire.

Anyone else have any tips to avoid that overall twist that inevitably happens when you wind a Clapton? I think this is the most flavorful coil to vape with. Just my opinion of course.
Have you checked out twisted messes' videos on claptons? Seems he has slightly different method of twisting up Clapton coils. :/

VU Sponsors