Become a Patron!

Clean coils

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried the method of dipping coils in water after heating them and the black coating on the coils fell off.Just like brand new coils!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Here is a video.

This is a great tutorial.
Thanks for the post. :)

He is firing them a little too hot. Or for a little too long.
I used to do it exactly like this but once I changed it up a little I got better results

I started heating the coils less and using an old toothbrush to scrub the coils once they were wet
I also make sure to clean the inside of the coil as well.

The less heat I use the longer the coil(s) seem to last.

I heat them until they are almost glowing, let off the button, then dunk & brush them.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
interesting. I would have thought the "shock" would damage the coil/s.
and, is the "innards" of the coil cleaned ? do the innards actually get gunked up ?

how do you clean the inside of the coil ?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
interesting. I would have thought the "shock" would damage the coil/s.

Eh, ... understand your point from metallurgical point of view. this is kind of a grey/gray/gr eh area though, need to consider that the temp is still low enough as to not start the metal becoming unstable, ergo it won't "mind" the quick 'tempering' from the water. that and i think most of the wire we use gets annealed which sets it to "blued" out already as a bit of a "tool" material.

So, just one of these bits where it kind of might have effect, or might not. kind of difficult to split the hair where it walks down. even narrow paths become wider than six lane roads if you know where you're going by memory or have a bit of help along the way. i think it's a combination of both at 'play' here.

how do you clean the inside of the coil ?

i shall answer you with the best i can ... *chuckles and continues laughing heartily*

*looks back at/through you* i think i'll charge admission for the show your smart ass can put on. *grins and chuckles all the more, laughing* i know there is a way, can think of maybe a few different ways but i need my damned coffee.

besides if you've got a sonic cleaner you already know, no point telling you.

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
lol, yeah, I tried it, seemed to work well.

I have removed wicking to see chunks inside there. and after a thorough cleaning, I would run a regular pipe cleaner in there, and it came out a little dirty. I am very surprised there isn't stainless pipe cleaners for us.

sonic shmonic.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol, yeah, I tried it, seemed to work well.

I have removed wicking to see chunks inside there. and after a thorough cleaning, I would run a regular pipe cleaner in there, and it came out a little dirty. I am very surprised there isn't stainless pipe cleaners for us.

sonic shmonic.

Ah, I see what you meant now, not the "innards" as in the internal molecules of the material, internals as in Inner Diameter of the coil. Usually run a coil jig bar the ID through, twist, shimmy, jiggle. Sometimes I might scrape inside with a pocket knife tip. Hm ... you might try these.

I also like to use ceramic tipped tweezers to clear out cotton. It can still be a bit of an issue at times. dry burning can help, or at least does for me. Some use dental picks too, or wood toothpicks.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
hey, you changed your pic. I'm still rock'n OZZY and ZACK.

when I say "inside" I mean, where the wick touches. when I say "innards" I mean inside the coil itself. as in, a Clapton, the outer wrap that we see. under that and around the wires inside it.

but I think the drenching gets that stuff out. or at least well enough to not matter.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
hey, you changed your pic. I'm still rock'n OZZY and ZACK.

when I say "inside" I mean, where the wick touches. when I say "innards" I mean inside the coil itself. as in, a Clapton, the outer wrap that we see. under that and around the wires inside it.

but I think the drenching gets that stuff out. or at least well enough to not matter.

Yeah, I like to swap my pic around a little at times. Most usually one having something with magic or mysticism finds its way there. The one there currently is public domain, picture done originally in oils _Ordination of Jacques de Molay in 1265 as a Knight Templar, at the Beaune commandery._ . I thought it a bit of a wit despite having no sense of humor. :)

when I say "inside" I mean, where the wick touches

Yeah, I was thinking on into the microscopic level with the atoms of the metal the wire used.
Sometimes I'm a Cracker Man.

Will swap my pic again.

VU Sponsors