Become a Patron!

Cleaning my coils

mkmnrm76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just want your thoughts on cleaning a build so I can keep it as long as possible. Thanks in advance to all that respond!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you can rinse it in hot water, use a pipe cleaner to remove some of the crud in the inner coil (gently) and let it dry, it will prolong the coil a little longer.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If it a Fused Clapton or similar just dry burning it will keep it around for almost a year. I had a build that is older then my membership at this forum and I finally took it out of its RDA a few days ago but the friend I let borrow it used it everyday since August. I made the build last May (May 3rd) and then took a updated pic before I let my friend borrow the setup and a recent pic right before I changed it out.
As long as you dryburn and rinse it it will last longer then you will need it too. If its a single strand coil then it will deteriorate much faster as heat will break it down over time.
That Coil Build in order, May 3rd, August 8th I think, and a few days ago...
22K 46N60 .jpg 22K 46N60 Old.jpg 20160403_122156.jpg

Last edited:

mkmnrm76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you say rinse it, do you take the build out to rinse it or just leave it in the deck and run it under some water??? I guess scrubbing it with a toothbrush isn't a good idea??

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
When you say rinse it, do you take the build out to rinse it or just leave it in the deck and run it under some water??? I guess scrubbing it with a toothbrush isn't a good idea??

Leave it on the deck, Dryburn it then let it cool, rinse it and scrub it with dish soap if you want then rinse and fire it to make sure everything burns off then wick it..

mkmnrm76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very helpful. I want to keep this build as long as possible and it sounds like I can get alot of time out of on....its a staple build, by the way.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very helpful. I want to keep this build as long as possible and it sounds like I can get alot of time out of on....its a staple build, by the way.

You should be good for ATLEAST 4-5 months if you dryburn and clean them often....

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me these are a must , they come in nylon and ss, got mine at Amazon and wire ones at Ebay
Also great for cleaning atomizers and drip tips etc.

Nylon
micro_spiral_brushes_new.jpg

Stainless steel
6500_condensor_brushes.jpg

Sizes
Aural_Speculum_Image.png

schuler

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great info. Personally I just dry burn it and rinse it off while their red hot.

dogtron66

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually keep a little sauce cup about half full of water at the ready while rewicking. Dry fire the coils until they are glowing red, then dunk them in the cool water while hot, and watch the gunk just fall away. It takes a cycle or two to get them clean, but the coils typically come back as clean as new pretty quick.

I've kept the same fused claptons going for over six months this way, but some of the single strands and temp control stuff will crap out out on ya pretty quick regardless.

Please note... Titanium should NOT be dry fired this way as the wire will oxidize at higher temps.

theepicpath

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to waste sooo many coils before i gound out i could clean them and its easy. I usually cleann my top cap and drip tip too at this point. Dry fire the coils till they are red then take a small steel brush and scrub them horizontaly, repeat a few times till they look clean. Then pulse them to cherry red turn off mod and rince them in room temperature water. Then just dry and rewick.

VU Sponsors