Become a Patron!

Cleaning new Attys (Machine Oil Smell)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone have a good process that won't effect the Black paint on my RTA?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ahh, no UC... You guys use scented soap?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahh, no UC... You guys use scented soap?

Before having a UC, I just gave it a long bath in hot water with dishwashing detergent (Dawn), then rinsed it really well under hot water. If I could still smell machine oil, I just repeated the process.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just scrub using a blue scour sponge (non stick type) with a touch of dish soap then rinse

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just whatever dish soap I have on hand. It rinses clean, obviously! If you don't have a UC, just soak it in a bowl of hot water and soap for a bit.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use half white vinegar and half water (heated to boiling in the microwave). Soak and shake around for five minutes, then rinse well with hot water. White vinegar is used to clean coffee makers, and will totally clean out your car radiator!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use half white vinegar and half water (heated to boiling in the microwave). Soak and shake around for five minutes, then rinse well with hot water. White vinegar is used to clean coffee makers, and will totally clean out your car radiator!
^^^^ This!

@Woodsman , good to see you here again! Where the hell have you been?

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^^ This!

@Woodsman , good to see you here again! Where the hell have you been?
Hey Mark, thought you would be up to Platinum by now...
Anyway, I shut down my home internet in August so was doing the library thing, then a few days ago got a deal on an LG G4 so now I can check up on you people whenever I want to!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Mark, thought you would be up to Platinum by now...
Anyway, I shut down my home internet in August so was doing the library thing, then a few days ago got a deal on an LG G4 so now I can check up on you people whenever I want to!
Yeah, I'm getting there (platinum) they've not had as many word game contest on lately, and also spending more time in other areas of the forum. I'm spending a good bit of time in the DIY area since I'm about to take the plunge myself. Anyway, it's good to see you again my friend. Don't be a stranger!:)

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also use the UC with a little dish soap. But if you don't have one, a warm soapy bath will work just fine. I usually throw my whole deck in the UC when re-wicking. It really keeps the coils clean and happy.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dissolves calcium, like nobody's business, safely.

The vinegar is a very good idea for another reason. If there is any lead (say, from brass parts) then the vinegar should dissolve it to a certain extent. Vinegar is used for this purpose with lead crystal glass. Apparently, if you add a touch of hydrogen peroxide (if you're into bleaching your hair you should have some) it improves the removal of the lead film. It can also cause pitting on the metal though. The vinegar/hydrogen peroxide mix can be used to remove lead in pistol/gun barrels apparently. God knows what this mix does to a painted/coloured atty though.

Something I find ultra useful for cleaning is a pipe cleaner. They let me clean the inside of drip tips, airflow holes etc with ease.

Also, a good soak in milton is good for stopping smells and cleaning. It is a mild bleach tablet sold for sterilizing/cleaning babies bottles and stopping them stinking of old milk. Works for atties too. This is less for brand new atties, and more for atties that have had a potent flavour in them.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heat some water throw the attys in a ziplock bag, stir in some Dawn for good measure, Dawn loves to eat grease. Make a Beer run, then rinse everything. Blow dry them. I have an air compressor in my house. :cool:

VU Sponsors