Become a Patron!

Clones vs cheap authentics?

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm really wanting to buy a mech but I'm very limited on funds. I'm looking for a clone/budget mod the comes with a matching RDA. Some I've found are the broadside with goon 1.5, apocalypse (which has a confusing build deck), Kennedy, etc. As far as the cheap authentics, geekvape tsunami, coilart mage tricker, desire mad dog (slightly more than what I want to spend, but I've seen it in the same price range as the other two mentioned).

I know asking what the "best" is is opening a can of worms because clones can be hit and miss, or some people are too good to consider anything other than authentic, etc. But which route would the budget conscious folks take? If I go clone, I will most likely get the broadside/goon combo or something with a Kennedy three post style RDA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Correction, the apocalypse style RDA isn't confusing. I was thinking of the underground RDA that is confusing to me
7380eb185b5ad6f5522d6e32e0a68672.jpg

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What's your budget? I have a mage tricker that I've used for less then 10 mins lol. It still has a build in it but the coils look brand new because I barely used it.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to be one of the "authentic only" type of folks, but for the last year or so, I've been picking up mech and rda clones through fasttech and have been pleasantly surprised.
I have a black copper Broadside clone that hits like a champ, but, the floating pin that you adjust to for battery rattle can be a real pain in the ass...it's on a VERY short post and is also extremely loose, to the point of the centrifugal force of screwing an RDA onto it will twist the pin. Once you get it right it's good, but it's a process you have to go through every time you swap batteries. I've had a few original goon clones and a Lost Art Edition Goon Clone and they've all done me good except for one where my habit of overtightening screws snapped one of the bridge clamps...the Lost Art Edition is Titanium through and through and hasn't so much as bent yet. I've had a Pegasus clone, TVL Competition Mod Clone, and AV Lyfe Able clone and all have done me right except for the Stainless Edition AV Lyfe Able clone that is a complete POS. As for clone RDA's, I've had an original goon, Lost Art Edition Goon, Kennedy 24, Recoil, and Apocalypse clones and don't have a single negative thing to say about the whole bunch...they've all performed exactly as they should and are practically 1:1 clones of the originals. Currently I'm using a Revolver Reload 2 clone that I'm surprised to say has become my favorite and daily use setup...it's an integrated RDTA system based on the concept of a copper tube mech...so, it's a tube mech with a built in tank and full sized velocity style deck.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I just looked at the rr2. Same idea as the desire mad dog but with a more masculine look. I like it!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just looked at the rr2. Same idea as the desire mad dog but with a more masculine look. I like it!

Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me...I've never found an RDTA with decent airflow or one that will wick fast enough to keep up with the low ohm builds I use (.12 ohm dual Alien Coils). I've actually been thinking of ordering another just to have another color, lol. This is mine...
6795ca5d8b337c2346202766c2fd4a78.jpg
6e4be73600e2aaec0cab393eaedd87b0.jpg
5ebb183bd16acf767156d391487d9ba5.jpg
9c3eec58646c9d63d3e1ef5892e21771.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good cloud chucker? I see it's sort of a velocity style deck but what up with the center piece?

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
What's your budget? I have a mage tricker that I've used for less then 10 mins lol. It still has a build in it but the coils look brand new because I barely used it.

If you're looking to get rid of it name a price.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Massive clouds, and since it's a bit of a shallow deck the flavor is off the charts. The center part (with the black o-ring on it) is where you fill up the tank part with juice...no mess and quick

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's one of the better review/tutorials that helped me in deciding whether to get it or not...guy is goofy as hell, but has good info

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
A couple of the best mech clones hands down on FT IMO are the sebone and the Able SS, Very well built, either would last for years with regular maintenance.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure all my mech are clones. 2 smpl mods 18 and a 26650 ,panzer Blackhawk and a skeleton key. The only authentics I have are my vv/vw mods.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I picked up the Broadside/Goon 1.5 styled kit from F/T, and I have been pleasantly surprised. The mod is well made and threading is very smooth. Like the short throw and feel of the switch. The clips on the build deck are not beveled, but other than that no complaints.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I picked up the Broadside/Goon 1.5 styled kit from F/T, and I have been pleasantly surprised. The mod is well made and threading is very smooth. Like the short throw and feel of the switch. The clips on the build deck are not beveled, but other than that no complaints.
Got any pic'ers? What finish did you go with?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me...I've never found an RDTA with decent airflow or one that will wick fast enough to keep up with the low ohm builds I use (.12 ohm dual Alien Coils). I've actually been thinking of ordering another just to have another color, lol. This is mine...
6795ca5d8b337c2346202766c2fd4a78.jpg
6e4be73600e2aaec0cab393eaedd87b0.jpg
5ebb183bd16acf767156d391487d9ba5.jpg
9c3eec58646c9d63d3e1ef5892e21771.jpg

have you tried the limitless rdta?
I have one and it kept up fine with 0.1 builds.

Cloud Chasing

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
have you tried the limitless rdta?
I have one and it kept up fine with 0.1 builds.

Cloud Chasing

I've been thinking about picking one up, actually. I picked up an Aluminum bodied Limitless Sleeve mod for practically nothing a couple of months ago and it was ok, but then upgraded to the copper button assembly and upgraded the mechanism to a couple of gold-plated magnets instead of the spring that was in it and it was a world of difference making it so much better, but then I got this RR2 and I've been using it as my daily since and completely forgot about that Limitless that's probably laying in the graveyard of mods/RDA's/accessory bags and failed coil builds, lol.
Been really happy with this RR2...fits full sized coil builds...only catch is that I have to kind of push my coils down closer to the base of the deck to give the airflow enough open space to do its thing since I'm putting in these thicker coil builds rather than standard stuff. But I'll prolly check out the Limitless RDTA and see how that goes..I need to find a new sleeve for the Limitless mod also, because the only one the shops here had was the Orange Lava Flow (which looks like something a hunter uses in the woods to identify himself and keep from getting shot) and the one with the Indian Head.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been thinking about picking one up, actually. I picked up an Aluminum bodied Limitless Sleeve mod for practically nothing a couple of months ago and it was ok, but then upgraded to the copper button assembly and upgraded the mechanism to a couple of gold-plated magnets instead of the spring that was in it and it was a world of difference making it so much better, but then I got this RR2 and I've been using it as my daily since and completely forgot about that Limitless that's probably laying in the graveyard of mods/RDA's/accessory bags and failed coil builds, lol.
Been really happy with this RR2...fits full sized coil builds...only catch is that I have to kind of push my coils down closer to the base of the deck to give the airflow enough open space to do its thing since I'm putting in these thicker coil builds rather than standard stuff. But I'll prolly check out the Limitless RDTA and see how that goes..I need to find a new sleeve for the Limitless mod also, because the only one the shops here had was the Orange Lava Flow (which looks like something a hunter uses in the woods to identify himself and keep from getting shot) and the one with the Indian Head.

watcha want for the limitless mech?
and top bad the rr2 won't accept rdas. looks like a cool mech

Cloud Chasing

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure enough, found it in one of the drawers under my "Tinkering Station" forgot how light this aluminum body is even with the heavier copper button and gold plated magnets.
c6b42f46dd23f58d2d2db82a5d3ab577.jpg
c8637356ac6634d54dd2d7187939f3bf.jpg
92bec14f3effd6a41be52885481955bd.jpg

Really need to find a new sleeve instead of this hunter orange get-up that it has.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I ended up ordering the rainbow version last night. I was just wanting to see if there were any flaws in quality. Do you keep yours clean and shiny, or let the petina naturally take over? I would probably be the type of person that would let the petina take over, due to laziness and because I like the used, rough look

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ended up ordering the rainbow version last night. I was just wanting to see if there were any flaws in quality. Do you keep yours clean and shiny, or let the petina naturally take over? I would probably be the type of person that would let the petina take over, due to laziness and because I like the used, rough look

I could be wrong, but the copper tube seems to have a clear coat, so it wouldn't start to patina for awhile. I will keep mine shined up and try to keep the "smell" of the copper to a minimum. Very glad I got this. Great quality for a 20 dollar device. Going to get another rda for it. Still looking...

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could be wrong, but the copper tube seems to have a clear coat, so it wouldn't start to patina for awhile. I will keep mine shined up and try to keep the "smell" of the copper to a minimum. Very glad I got this. Great quality for a 20 dollar device. Going to get another rda for it. Still looking...

I had both an Apocalypse clone RDA and now a Recoil clone RDA that matched up seemlessly with my Broadside clone. Very good RDA's and when on the Broadside, looks like they were made for each other.
3111ec0ebef6081da57613d504c39848.jpg

VU Sponsors