Become a Patron!

"Cloud competition advise"

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hey everyone

So in 2 weeks we will be having our 1st ever vapecon event in South Africa.

Now usually at the meets I'm always busy with the organizing and since I usually sponsor the prizes I don't get much chance to compete.

But now that's changed !!!

So I'm looking for advise on builds and ideas.

Comp rules :

Any mod
Any build
2 attempts per entry and will be back to back format
All entries will use the same juice (max vg)

So my highest powered mod is the sigelei 150w. Using the Samsung 25r batteries , I have placed an order for the new efest 35A batteries which should arrive in the week.

Biggest rda is the dark horse but I could change it in the next week if I get some better suggestions.

Current build in the dark horse is a quad 24g kanthal with 5 wraps each around a 3mm id.

It's impressive but I have a few concerns....

Should I rather be doing a dual coil build (less wattage being split amongst the coils)

Getting thicker wire is a bit difficult so should I rather do a dual twisted or parallel (back to it being like a quad coil )

Vertical or horizontal arrangements for max clouds [/COLOR]

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Now usually at the meets I'm always busy with the organizing and since I usually sponsor the prizes I don't get much chance to compete.

Comp rules :

Any mod
Any build

So my highest powered mod is the sigelei 150w. Using the Samsung 25r batteries , I have placed an order for the new efest 35A batteries which should arrive in the week.

Biggest rda is the dark horse but I could change it in the next week if I get some better suggestions.

Current build in the dark horse is a quad 24g kanthal with 5 wraps each around a 3mm id.

Should I rather be doing a dual coil build (less wattage being split amongst the coils)

Getting thicker wire is a bit difficult so should I rather do a dual twisted or parallel (back to it being like a quad coil )

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dual coil, 3 mm id, either dual parallel with 26 gauge, or you could do twisted 26 dual coils. Horizontal arrangement.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so i tried a dual coil parallel 26g 3mm id 5 wraps and im getting a decent flavour vape but not that dense clouds, vaping at 120w-130w..... the quad at 100w was alot thicker

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's crazy that they allow you to use a regulated device, i've never seen that before. The sky is the limit! Build low and squeeze as much wattage outta that box as you can!

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's crazy that they allow you to use a regulated device, i've never seen that before. The sky is the limit! Build low and squeeze as much wattage outta that box as you can!

3rd world country problems.... currently we have only 12 people who have registered to enter the cloud blowing comp and 8 who will do the coil building comp..... but we getting there :)

im considering getting the turbo RDA, noise will annoy me but could possibly be a better option than the darkhorse

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty sure the noise is the only thing the turbo has over the dark horse, aside from that its just a gimmick RDA IMO. Dark horse should do ya, but people seem to like their Mutations, so if the RDA buying bug has got ya maybe thats one to consider. Also, the mutations have a lot of aftermarket support like glass bell caps and chuff caps and so on and so forth. I'd probably just save my money and cloud er up with the dh, myself.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pretty sure the noise is the only thing the turbo has over the dark horse, aside from that its just a gimmick RDA IMO. Dark horse should do ya, but people seem to like their Mutations, so if the RDA buying bug has got ya maybe thats one to consider. Also, the mutations have a lot of aftermarket support like glass bell caps and chuff caps and so on and so forth. I'd probably just save my money and cloud er up with the dh, myself.

i had the mutation and found it a bit ...meh. swapped it out for a derringer which i got bf for my reo and loving that decision.

im looking for the ideal build for the darkhorse considering i can use the sig to fire it. so far im leaning more towards my quad build as that the best so far but its still nothing in comparison to some other builds i have tried on a few other friends builds also on a sig. all comparisons were with the same juice and by myself so im not comparing technique

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3rd world country problems.... currently we have only 12 people who have registered to enter the cloud blowing comp and 8 who will do the coil building comp..... but we getting there :)

im considering getting the turbo RDA, noise will annoy me but could possibly be a better option than the darkhorse
Haha, well if you win the first one you'll be a legend! If you can get your hands on some nichrome you can increase the surface area of your coil by a few wraps over kanthal. I've been using it almost exclusively for the last couple months and i love it. I would love to offer a more specific coil recommendation but i've never entered a cloud comp myself and would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. Best of luck! Post pics of your builds too!

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i had the mutation and found it a bit ...meh. swapped it out for a derringer which i got bf for my reo and loving that decision.

im looking for the ideal build for the darkhorse considering i can use the sig to fire it. so far im leaning more towards my quad build as that the best so far but its still nothing in comparison to some other builds i have tried on a few other friends builds also on a sig. all comparisons were with the same juice and by myself so im not comparing technique
Funny, I was initially gonna suggest skipping the turbo, keeping the dh for clouds and picking up a derringer or other flavor centric Atty for juice enjoyment purposes... But me suggesting flavor atties in a thread asking specifically about cloud chasing seemed somehow wrong to me. Hehehe

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
my current RDA collection :

Derringer (bf)
magma (bf)
stillaire (bf)
odin (bf)
marquis (bf)
reomiser 2 (bf)
cyclone (bf)

darkhorse
hobo v2
igo-w
onslaught

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Haha, well if you win the first one you'll be a legend! If you can get your hands on some nichrome you can increase the surface area of your coil by a few wraps over kanthal. I've been using it almost exclusively for the last couple months and i love it. I would love to offer a more specific coil recommendation but i've never entered a cloud comp myself and would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. Best of luck! Post pics of your builds too!

so they have changed the rules slightly and now a whole lot of people have dropped out of the comp.....

Cloud Blowing Comp : 12 people

Rules:
  • Each Contestant will be given the same juice to compete with, this will be Sponsored on the day
  • Contestants are each given a number and chase back to back through a process of elimination.
  • Each contestant gets 2 attempts on their first chase, 2 attempts on their second and so forth until we have our final four contestants all of which will get one more attempt on their final chase.
  • Judges will give a score out of 10 based on the following:
    Distance of cloud
    Density of cloud
    Volume of cloud

Coil Building Comp : 2 people

Rules:
  • Each contestant will be given a rebuildable atomizer to build on.
  • Participants may use any type of wire/wicking material they wish as this is not sponsored by the event.
  • Contestants may build any type of coil they wish.
  • You may use an app such as vapers toolbox etc.
  • Contestants will need to build a coil reaching a target resistance which will be disclosed at the beginning of the competition.
  • You will need to assemble at the beginning of the competition as all contestants will be building in one place.
  • You may not use an ohm meter to test the resistance of your coil, all ohm meters and electronic devices are to be handed in / packed away at the start of the competition.
  • Contestants are given 10 minutes to build their coils, after 10 minutes you will be disqualified from the event.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so they have changed the rules slightly and now a whole lot of people have dropped out of the comp.....

Rules
  • You may not use an ohm meter to test the resistance of your coil, all ohm meters and electronic devices are to be handed in / packed away at the start of the competition.

What? Seriously? Wow! Nothing like fostering unsafe vaping practices.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

the one person (so far at least) who il be competing against is a seasoned vet so its fairly safe. before the atty is fired then the judged will inspect it to make sure its all safe and not shorting.... but.... i have had instances where guys bring along a mech mod to fire the coils and pinch them together. its not against the rules as the mech mod wont tell you your coil resistance.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The mech doesn't have a display to tell you if its shorted, but it might tell you the hard way, lol. Even if your build is good, a bum insulator or something could put this comp onto the front pages for all of the wrong reasons, again.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
very true.

our last comp was to build to 1.2ohm resistance on a plum veil. i got a 1.5ohm and still won because the other guy had a short

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope the fire department and paramedics are at the event. Not being able to use an ohm meter seems dangerous.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hope the fire department and paramedics are at the event. Not being able to use an ohm meter seems dangerous.

fire department, health and safety officers, 2 doctors on call and paramedics with the nearest hospital less than 4km away.

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guessing I view coils differently. IMO building to a target resistance without the aide of a meter is pointless. It smacks of conducting a marksmanship competition, but demanding the shooters fire while blindfolded. Simply begs the question of why?

But, since the rules still seem to be in play ... consider directive to Build your best coil. Give contestants 1/2 hour to complete the build. Put the entries on display and let the attendees vote for their favorite build throughout the convention. As coils go, I find the builders with creativity and artistic talent far more interesting than those that can hit a target blind.

I don't know your Dark Horse, so I have no input beyond the directive to strike your best balance between surface area and airflow using a build that feeds fast enough to maximize your energy (power) input capabilities. Your cloud competition rules are more appealing as they seem to be a sort of unlimited class. Beware of the guy that will show up with car batteries with atomizers powered with 4 O power leads switched by automotive starter solenoids.

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
I think some people are misreading, the coil building contest doesn't seem to be a vaping comp. You try to build to a certain resistance, then they ohm each one out to see who is the closest.

I would say for the cloud comp, the dark horse on the sigelei isn't too shabby.

I, however, love my 120 raptor chip in a Hammond box. Beats the sigelei 150 handily. I bought my Helga box mod then the sigelei a day later. I thought the sigelei should've been equal of not better. I bought the sigelei because I was so impressed with the helga,and wanted something slightly smaller. I was truly worried when buying the sigelei that the day of use I got out of the helga was gonna be it. I thought the sigelei was gonna blow it out being it was 30 watts higher. Cloud are effortless with the raptor chip. I want to check out the okr/okl chip next as they can be put into a smaller enclosure than the raptor more easily. Now I'm gonna go see if there is a box mod section here.

I would trust your Samsungs more than an efest. Rda for clouds is mostly airflow. Dark horse should be fine,from what I've seen, not the best flavor, but that isn't necessarily bad. You don't want to choke on the provided juice because the flavor doesn't agree with you. The more muted the flavor, that will be less likely to happen. if you really want a cloud rda, seems that doge 2, dog x, mutation x 3 or 4 would be tops. I would say the mutation x 4, if you open it all the way with the extension,there would be minimal amount of heat and flavor to choke on.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
thanks.. ive been trying a few different builds to find the best clouds. will post some pics online for comment.

the cloud juice is going to 0mg max vg with a very small percentage of flavour. currently the options are TFA fruit circles or CAP vanilla custard. both have been steeping for the past month and the judged will decide on the morning which one they prefer to use and then all entrants will use that same juice.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would recommend a battery rule..For an anything goes event no one should be using less than a 30 amp battery..Those efests youre talking about are a 35 amp burst and not a true 35 amp battery...they are 20 amps as the samsung 25r's are but the samsung does have a considerably larger burst rating of 100 amps.

A sony VTC3 or 4 should be a rule in a competition with subohm below .5 ohms...At least for those using a single battery mech mod...If you see anyone with a trust fire battery they should be disqualified for safety reasons..just sayin..lol

Would be pretty cool to see some pics of the event..show us those clouds :)

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
I prefer a hot vape, not for cloud reasons, but produces clouds, more surface area...I prefer parallel builds. Triple parallel with 26 gauge on single center posts or quad parallel with 28 gauge on split center post. (Harder to put 8 wires in one post)....4-5 wraps around 1/8 or 3mm, just remember that battery safety. Bigger wrap for more wick on those hot coils. Coils ramp up quick.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ive gone out and purchased 2 new samsungs. the VTC batteries are very difficult to get shipped to us.

@scootervapes could you perhaps post a pic of what the quad on a split centre post build should look like ?

thanks

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm concerned about this as well. I've never heard of a comp where they didn't encourage the use of an Ohmmeter to check your builds.

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
Again, it does not seem that anyone is promoting vaping without an ohm meter. They are simply saying to try to build to a certain resistance, then to check it with an ohm tester,the closest wins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what even the safest of us do? Build what we think will get us to our desired resistance and then measure it to make sure it is what we wanted.

Here is a pic of a triple parallel build with 26 gauge, a quad is the same but 4 wires. This build has been in for a while, rewicked several times, not as neat as it once was.

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ive spoken to the coordinators and the judges and proposed to them that for those that want to fire it on a mech to compress the coils and heat them up. the atty will be give to a judge to test for a short and then handed back without them telling the entrant what the resistance is.

is there is a short then its an immediate fail.

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
4 wraps, 3mm, for single positive post I use 3 strands of 26 gauge and for split positive post I use 4 strands of 28 gauge.

Quad 6wrap 22ga ni80 vertical. Use a copper tube mod, but get a good 38amp or 40amp battery. And ditch the dark horse, get a good 4 hole like the El Cabron or any mutation x.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Comp rules :

Any mod
Any build

Those efests arent 35A to start with.
Go with sony VTC4s. And for killer power Hammer of God box. Takes 4 18650s, 3FVape has it for less than $60 and can push 300w. Then run ya insane build like maybe 4 18awg twisted 4 wrap 3mm id coils with cotton bacon v2. Noncontact coils.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Quad 6wrap 22ga ni80 vertical. Use a copper tube mod, but get a good 38amp or 40amp battery. And ditch the dark horse, get a good 4 hole like the El Cabron or any mutation x.
Since there are no 40amp batteries and this dude is setting you up for a vent to the face. and only 1 post his suggestion is a Darwin awaiting award. Stick with VTC or if you can find them an MNKE otherwise forget it.

If the darkhorse is such and concern on performance get a replacement ring and file the air flow slots on the ring to WIDE open.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
What about awt batts. Suspecting they are actually vtc rewraps but might be wrong. I am a huge fan of compvapes rdas. They are afterall comp models. IF you are limited to single batt mods I TRULY recommend a fuhattan, rig, apollo, manhattan or buster. Always copper. If you aint go smy 260 or hammer of god if you want a new mod to go with it.

VU Sponsors