Become a Patron!

Cloudmaker Whiteout Modular 150W Box [Updates]

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop on the development of the user-customizable Whiteout 150W modular box mod. You may remember the previous post about the CLDMKR Whiteout here on VU or might have seen our past updates on reddit, but if you haven’t heard much about us you can get caught up by checking FAQ update in particular.

As of earlier this week, we’ve completed the manufacturing of our chassis prototype with all the mechanical accessories: panels & L-plates, buttons, and cradle. I posted an initial un-anodized snap of it on our facebook page earlier this week. Please check that out and like, and share our page with other vapers who might like this idea who aren’t on VU. Since that FB post, we’ve gotten the parts anodized, and we've reassembled them to give you the first real impression of what the finished Whiteout will look like (minus the electronics, of course). See the end of this post for the attached pics!

We do want to emphasize that the Whiteout will be delivered as a 100% assembled, finished product that will perform out of the box without any mechanical knowledge or programming required -- but we know a lot of you are looking forward to tweaking the aesthetics and even the firmware most of all!

On that note, we plan on starting the initial functionality tests of the improved Ares 150W chipset design later this coming week, so you can expect a major update about the chip design, performance, and its expanded capabilities & customizability sometime next week! This should be a pretty big update for us!

Also, I wanted to mention that, over on reddit, we’re beginning development of the subreddit community for Cloudmaker users. I know that many here prefer VU to reddit, but I thought I’d still share this because it's central to what our company vision is all about: The community, so we're working together to make one for users to get information on the Whiteout, to discuss new ideas and vote on upgrades, and to collaborate to make the most of its customizable features. We’ll even be working on first-ever projects like open-source downloadable community code modules for the chip & 3D printer schematics for the unit panels or custom chip cradles! If you’d like to be a part of this, email me at [email protected] with your name / username / what you’d like to help out with.

I also promise we’ll be working to provide concurrent updates here on VU whenever we make a major update over on reddit, so you guys can join the conversation from the community where you prefer to post. I will be following this thread to answer questions you might have and hear your thoughts, suggestions, and ideas! Long-time VU member and previous VU moderator @AveysDaddy will also be checking in on this thread to help out as well from time to time.

Jeremy (/u/blitz206) sent over the first pictures of the fully-assembled & anodized Whiteout chassis:

Parts Collage:
YgHy9U9.png

Close-Up:

YTUUIiD.jpg

Edit: Just wanted to add, I'm mostly a lurker here at VU until relatively recently, but I am trying to follow the rules with this post. We're not attempting to sell anything, just looking for community input, opinions, and so forth with this post. This seemed like the correct place to post a thread like this, but if I've made a mistake somehow and the mods feel strongly it belongs elsewhere, then please by all means move it, and I apologize!

Last edited:

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
love the modular idea. is there a whiteout mini in the future? single replaceable 18650?

ill be keeping an eye on this. hoping temp control is a feature as well.

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
love the modular idea. is there a whiteout mini in the future? single replaceable 18650?

ill be keeping an eye on this. hoping temp control is a feature as well.
Temperature control is 100% in development, and the Ares chip will be able to implement it with only a firmware upgrade, so when it's completed, you can upgrade your Whiteout with the firmware without having to change any parts. Of course, you can change parts too, like our planned single 18650 bottom-feed squonker conversion kit, or switching to a LiPo battery pack instead of the dual 18650s, which leads me to my second point regarding TC...

If you must have TC right away, you can get the Whiteout with our SX350J chip cradle instead and run Yihi's TC chip at 120W instead of our Ares chip, thanks to the modular design of the Whiteout. However, I think the Ares chip will be a better choice, given the upgradeable feature set and fully-customizable interface it offers. The community development projects for the open-source chip OS should lead to some really cool add-on software feature modules which you can flash yourself at home if you want to tweak your Whiteout to your exact specs.

As far as a smaller device goes, we do indeed have a project "Pandora" that meets your requirements in development already. It's a small (iStick 50W size) device which will also feature the Ares chipset, and it'll also have our trademark modularity, though mostly cosmetic customizations rather than being able to swap chips and battery configurations and do squonking like its big brother can. As far as batteries go, a single 18650 isn't ideal for long life so we may choose to go with a LiPo to provide battery life on par with the iStick to support 50+W capability for more than a couple hours. Like everything we do, this will be determined from community feedback when we get further into the development process of this mod. The project will be put on the accelerated dev track once the Whiteout launch and initial feature rollout is completed this summer, with a planned launch towards the end of 2015, assuming the Whiteout is as successful and well-received as the overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic response we've gotten from the reddit community indicates it will be!

Thanks a lot for your interest, and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I really like VU as a vaping forum, though reddit is my main hangout, VU is by far the best traditional-style vaping forum online and I hope to get a good conversation going here like we've been able to have on reddit. Cheers!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks for the quick reply!

regarding the li-ion vs LiPo... please stick with the single 18650 and make the battery replaceable. a fresh 18650 lasts me well more than one day.

thanks again!

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks for the quick reply!

regarding the li-ion vs LiPo... please stick with the single 18650 and make the battery replaceable. a fresh 18650 lasts me well more than one day.

thanks again!
I appreciate your input on the topic. We might consider doing two versions, depending on feasibility and the community feedback when we get into the thick of developing that device. The problem is, while swapping 18650's is quick and easy at home (it's been my preferred method ever since I started vaping a few years back), when you start pushing 50W and higher, they just don't last long enough, and ever since the iStick 50W showed what's possible for portable LiPo's, many people prefer a slightly larger device with a USB-charged LiPo over carrying a spare 18650 around all the time, and I totally see why.

There's pros/cons for both approaches, sure, but in a portable device there's a lot to be said for the iStick approach. You can vape it plugged into your phone charger if it dies, it's self-contained, and crucially it lasts easily twice as long. For me, my iStick 50W is the first device that really made me give LiPo any serious consideration as a practical vaping power supply. Until I picked it up, I was die-hard in favor of swapping 18650's over USB charging/pass-thru (and I still am, for at-home use devices at least).

dankrips

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good stuff bud! I've been following the progress over at reddit and filled out the surveys you posted. I'm pretty excited about this and definitely have it in my sights. Looking forward to the updates, keep up the good work.

Good luck Returnity!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the updates. This is looking to become a great mod. The LiPO idea has a lot of merit especially in a high wattage mod.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LIPO's certainly have a much higher discharge/charge C ratings and are attractive because of their amperage output they can sustain... But they also bring with that a lot more volatility that can lead to having more battery type of accidents as has been seen in the RC industry. A LIPO that may have been dropped could vent many hours later after the incident... or later during the charge cycle.

So the increased capacity and amperages bring an increase of risk with them.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
LIPO's certainly have a much higher discharge/charge C ratings and are attractive because of their amperage output they can sustain... But they also bring with that a lot more volatility that can lead to having more battery type of accidents as has been seen in the RC industry. A LIPO that may have been dropped could vent many hours later after the incident... or later during the charge cycle.

So the increased capacity and amperages bring an increase of risk with them.
+1 on LiPo's. I know, due to my R/C Collective Pitch Helicopters. However, so far, I was lucky with my LiPo's.

On the other hand, you could always get one of the following, to keep your mod in.
:D

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very true about LiPos, guys, and I appreciate your input! There are definitely risks to consider, particularly when we discuss offering a LiPo modularity conversion build kit for the Whiteout to allow people to replace their dual 18650's if they want to. We'll certainly be providing full information about LiPo Care & Safety, and we have faith that since our users who will be doing these types of mods to their Whiteouts are hobbyists to use sense and the resources of the community to handle them properly.

However, in a portable-type mod like the 50W iStick or the "Pandora" project mod, where the LiPo's are a) packaged in 18650-type cells & b) permanently, inaccessibly installed inside the mod's case, I think the risk is minimized to the point of being negligibly higher than using removable 18650's.

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm afflicted with a bit of OCD when it comes to efficiency. Since versatility is a prime component of efficiency, this mod is right up my alley.

The wait is almost over and I couldn't be more pleased. I hope they don't screw it up.

Is the modular chassis/buttons/battery tray avaliable seperately... id be happy to gut my yihi sx mini m-class and fit it into a dual box like this... havent heard much about this mod since the plume of hazard show many moons ago. whats the current status ?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I love the idea of your open source software for the ares. But it also scares me. I imagine some idiot somewhere tweaking it just right and causing an explosion and killing them. Which will bring more bad publicity to the community. Do you plan on installing any safeguards into the software to prevent this type of idiocy ?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two years later.. Web still has some vaporous links.

hehehe.. "safeguards" - against idiocy.. Perhaps it will elect them to congress?

VU Sponsors