Become a Patron!

Coil Build Too Hot

I tried a build with parallel 24g Kanthal and 36g Ni80 wrap. I put together a 5 wrap 3.0 coil. It came in at .12 ohms. But it would not "glow" in the 8 sec shut off. It took pulsing at 3-4 sec pulses to finally get one coil to glow. But just too hot and too long.

What is this newbie doing incorrect. It happened on two builds I tried and decided to stop.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried a build with parallel 24g Kanthal and 36g Ni80 wrap. I put together a 5 wrap 3.0 coil. It came in at .12 ohms. But it would not "glow" in the 8 sec shut off. It took pulsing at 3-4 sec pulses to finally get one coil to glow. But just too hot and too long.

What is this newbie doing incorrect. It happened on two builds I tried and decided to stop.

I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is not enough power to light it up.

I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is not enough power to light it up.
Using 520 Mini V2 - which is only one 18650. But a fully charged battery. Samsung 25r. The build deck was an OBS Engine, dual coil. Probably needed that info as well to help.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
parallel 24g Kanthal and 36g Ni80 wrap. I put together a 5 wrap 3.0 coil. It came in at .12 ohms
So, this is one coil - you can't even glow it - and it's for a dual-coil atty?
This bodes not well...

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd say not enough power for both coils. But also running a build like that on a single battery is not going to have much life. You'll be changing constantly. Another thing is that build is a little low for my liking on a 25r. 36 is a wrap wire not usually for a core wire. Use 36 to make clapton and such.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd say not enough power for both coils. But also running a build like that on a single battery is not going to have much life. You'll be changing constantly. Another thing is that build is a little low for my liking on a 25r. 36 is a wrap wire not usually for a core wire. Use 36 to make clapton and such.

It was a 24g Kanthal w/ 36 Ni80 wrap. Single battery was in the tester. I have Procolor and X-Priv mods, so they a dual batteries. I have both 25r and VTC5a's available.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was a 24g Kanthal w/ 36 Ni80 wrap. Single battery was in the tester. I have Procolor and X-Priv mods, so they a dual batteries. I have both 25r and VTC5a's available.
Ahh ok sorry about that. I misread the whole thing. Well kanthal takes longer to heat and being 24 doesn't help. I'd say get some 26 or 28 and give it another go. I've got 24 that came in a multi pack and I just put it in the drawer. The 26 and 28 are used daily

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Simple answer, use your mods to heat up your coils to work out the hot spots. You are trying to pull too much current from the 25R and the resultant voltage sag is what is taking so long.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That 36g NI80 is going to ramp way to fast. Going out on a limb to assume you are staging the heating? Is that correct? If so you should do something like a 22-24g NI80 and then a 28g kanthal. You will get a fast ramp from the low resistance NI80 and the kanthal will bring the ohms up and make it retain a little heat for the subsequent hits.

What your issue sounds like is the build is no good or you are not getting a good connection on one coil. I have never tried to wrap 36g because it seems to floppy to do anything with and must assume its all over the place. Can you show us a picture of this setup?

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.12 ohms is dangerous on an 18650 at usable wattages.. I would shoot for .22 ohms at the lowest to be safe and be able to vape your coil.
.12 ohms is over 30 amps at 3.7 volts, your battery is like 20 amps max.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That 36g NI80 is going to ramp way to fast. Going out on a limb to assume you are staging the heating? Is that correct? If so you should do something like a 22-24g NI80 and then a 28g kanthal. You will get a fast ramp from the low resistance NI80 and the kanthal will bring the ohms up and make it retain a little heat for the subsequent hits.

What your issue sounds like is the build is no good or you are not getting a good connection on one coil. I have never tried to wrap 36g because it seems to floppy to do anything with and must assume its all over the place. Can you show us a picture of this setup?
36g?!? Sheesh, that'd be for some microcoil in one of those Killer 705 or something - "Cosmic POWER! ..teeny-tiny living space!"

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Work on your coil in a mod, at least 50 watts

If one coil heats more slowly, make sure that coil's legs are not longer than the other - and trim, reinstall as necessary

Also make sure all the post screws are tight

Your coil should be fine to vape at 70 watts or up - enough power to get them hothot quic so the atomizer and mod don't have time to soak up extra heat

If actual vaping is still too warm, try higher gauge wire for the cores

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
36g?!? Sheesh, that'd be for some microcoil in one of those Killer 705 or something - "Cosmic POWER! ..teeny-tiny living space!"

Oh my gosh, is that quote from Disney's Aladdin?

VU Sponsors