Become a Patron!

Coil building help

Is it really necessary to have an ohm tester when building coils? If there happens to be a short, wouldnt my Smok Alien 220w mod keep it from firing? And anytime you screw on the Rda, it shows the resitance. I just dont see the need for an ohm tester. Another question, when building coils with SS, how do I need to go about heating the coils? Low wattage, short pulses? Thanks for the help.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Nothing is "required" but for repeatable and safe experiences it is highly recommended. They are dirt cheap and take any guess work out of what you are actually building.

The "ohm meter" in the Alien is suggestive at best. I wouldnt count on that for nothing but verifying it believes it is in the realm of what the ohm meter says.

As far as dry burning the coils on that Alien either would work and pulsing will not consume as much power or make the atty as hot during the process. I use a Kanger 70W with a broken display and just nail it/ adjust until it glows like I want. I like to see all of the metal change colors before wicking. I would never do this on a mech or anything I cared about.

clemson27

Member For 2 Years
Nothing is "required" but for repeatable and safe experiences it is highly recommended. They are dirt cheap and take any guess work out of what you are actually building.

The "ohm meter" in the Alien is suggestive at best. I wouldnt count on that for nothing but verifying it believes it is in the realm of what the ohm meter says.

As far as dry burning the coils on that Alien either would work and pulsing will not consume as much power or make the atty as hot during the process. I use a Kanger 70W with a broken display and just nail it/ adjust until it glows like I want. I like to see all of the metal change colors before wicking. I would never do this on a mech or anything I cared about.
So really I should get an ohm meter and glow the coils on it first? Since its SS, do I need to wash/scrub the coil after heating it? Sorry for asking dumb questions, Im just new to this and need advise.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So really I should get an ohm meter and glow the coils on it first? Since its SS, do I need to wash/scrub the coil after heating it? Sorry for asking dumb questions, Im just new to this and need advise.
Dry firing ss, it's crucial to start at a low wattage and do short pulses until you've removed hotspots. And never get it glowing past a dull orange glow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Only dumb question is one you need the answer to and didn't ask.

No need to scrub it after heating. Wick and go. the purpose of this is to get the hot spots out, clean the metal and harden its shape. Its also a good way to clean it after a few days of crusty juice.

You can burn in your coils on the mod you are using. If it were me, I would build my coils and verify them on the ohm meter and burn them in on the mod, wick it and then vape it like no tomorrow.

clemson27

Member For 2 Years
Only dumb question is one you need the answer to and didn't ask.

No need to scrub it after heating. Wick and go. the purpose of this is to get the hot spots out, clean the metal and harden its shape. Its also a good way to clean it after a few days of crusty juice.

You can burn in your coils on the mod you are using. If it were me, I would build my coils and verify them on the ohm meter and burn them in on the mod, wick it and then vape it like no tomorrow.
Alright, thank you for your help.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So maybe 10-15 watts and slowly work my way up or just get it how I want it, and im good to go?
Yes. If you check out the Instructions page of our website there's several videos about how to work with stainless steel wires, if it's helpful to you. But you've got the idea. It's very important not to glow it past a dull orange also though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

uansari1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I have an odd question for you guys...I have some premade SS 316L coils that are wound counter clockwise. I want to use one in a Pulse 22, but the best way for coils to be wound appears to be clockwise around the jig. Anything wrong with unwinding the coil, then winding it in the other direction? I don’t have a spool of wire atm...just the premade coils.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an odd question for you guys...I have some premade SS 316L coils that are wound counter clockwise. I want to use one in a Pulse 22, but the best way for coils to be wound appears to be clockwise around the jig. Anything wrong with unwinding the coil, then winding it in the other direction? I don’t have a spool of wire atm...just the premade coils.
Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it all the time for my Hadaly.

VU Sponsors