Become a Patron!

Coil Building Material (SS316, SS304, A1, N80,...)

Hi Forum!

Reading around in the flavor chasing and the cloud chasing corners, I see that many are stating SS as the material of choice in their favorite coil builds and highly prefers it above the classic ones. I’ve just recently gone into the advanced vaping scene, so my rebuildable experience is not vast. But have noticed that the SS316, and lately the SS304, is picking up more ground with experienced coil builders than before.

What are your input on this matter, from a pure coil performance point of view (if we put aside that some materials are easier to build with than others)?

Would appreciate any feedback, specially from the more experienced members.

Thank you and great forum!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
SS316 for me also.
That's what i had started with, it's always worked well for me, so why change?
I make fused claptons with it and get great flavor.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use primarily Nichrome80... Just the wire type that best suits my palate.

SS316L/430 I get a weird taste
KA1 - really weird taste
Nife30 - off taste
Ti1 - weird taste

I can use any of the above, just prefer N80 - I don't have a real sensitivity that some have to certain metal types... just my juice tastes odd with anything but N80

And I am going through my cycle of vaping again. Started with Mechs, moved to RTAs, moved to Squonks, went to MTL RTAs, back on Mech tubes lol

So everything from simple 30g 1.5mm micro coils to semi-advanced .10Ω Aliens...

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I only use Nichrome80. Stainless gives me a metallic taste. Kanthal tastes OK, but N80 ramps up faster.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I am a ni80 man. Ramps up and cools fast. I run ss316 in a set up for my wifes cbd. I get an odd flavor off it sometimes.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried pinpointing why the metallic taste with your SS coils?
nope. When I first started building coils, I bought some kanthal, N80, & SS.
Stainless steel kept giving me a metallic taste no matter the coil. I tried claptons, plain wire, thin, thick wire, it just gave me this slight metallic taste when the vapor hit my tongue.

Didn't get that at all with kanthal & N80, so that's what I use now. Mostly N80 because it ramps up faster, but on my mechs it depends.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread like this but I wondered - does anyone build with both SS316 and SS316L and if so, do you notice any differences in working and vaping the two materials? I know 316L is the low carbon variant and that they have different corrosion resistance but can't see what difference that would make to any of us, in normal usage.

VU Sponsors