Become a Patron!

Coil Building

Hi, I'm not very good with coil building, I've always just wrapped 7 times around a small screwdriver, although the flavor has always been bad to me (I'm not sure if this is related). I just got the coilmaster kit, and the 4mm seems pretty nice since it would make it a lot easier for me to wick the cotton. How do I tell how many wraps I should do on each coil at 4mm? Or If i ever wanted to change it at 3mm, 2.5mm etc.

Thanks,

rollpop.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, I'm not very good with coil building, I've always just wrapped 7 times around a small screwdriver, although the flavor has always been bad to me (I'm not sure if this is related). I just got the coilmaster kit, and the 4mm seems pretty nice since it would make it a lot easier for me to wick the cotton. How do I tell how many wraps I should do on each coil at 4mm? Or If i ever wanted to change it at 3mm, 2.5mm etc.

Thanks,

rollpop.
Well you start by modeling the build with a calculator steam-engine.org is my favorite But Vape tool is good also.... I generally shoot for heat flux of 200 at 25% over desired wattage.

Best coil Id depends on desired result and can be affected by build space. Can't put a 4 mm coil in many small deck atties. I use 2.5 or 3mm..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've done the steam engine calculation and it says 5.3 wraps, is that 5.3 wraps per coil, or in total?

Another side bar here. Probably already self evident yet might need stated. If it says 5.3 wraps, aim for 5 and don't worry too much on missing 0.30 wrap. Now if it says 5.5 wraps, I'd aim for 6 wraps, rounding in this case does work out, at least most of the time. :)

VU Sponsors