Become a Patron!

Coil & cotton break in

ArrogantBastard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I am curious as to how long it take you to break in a new coil and a fresh wick.
I find it takes a day or two to get the coil hitting spot on with amazing flavor & dense vapor.

When I first build a coil I get very thin vapor and off taste. I always do a few "dry burns" with no wick to get the glowing inside-out. But I still find that it takes a day or so to oxidize new build.

So how long does it take you to break in your builds and do you touch them before use?

Thank in advance.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It seems like a fresh build performs like a rough running engine for the first couple hits. After that things seem to settle in and I get the best vape I'm going to until the next rebuild/rewick. I've never noticed a break in period that's followed by a better vape, other than the first couple hits. I know others have, but not me.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It seems like a fresh build performs like a rough running engine for the first couple hits. After that things seem to settle in and I get the best vape I'm going to until the next rebuild/rewick. I've never noticed a break in period that's followed by a better vape, other than the first couple hits. I know others have, but not me.
What are you wicking with, Boomstick?

I sometimes get a great vape from the start, sometimes takes a bit. With rayon, usually, pretty good from the start. With cotton, usually takes a little bit longer.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My builds start working perfectly well after the first charge is gone (by first charge, I mean the initial soaking I give to the wick in my drippers after wicking the coil). After re-dripping, it's perfect. With carded cotton, I might get a vague "earthy" taste for a few minutes, but that's it.

You might want to play with how tight the cotton is packed inside the coil, and how the wick's tails pick up the juice. It can take some experimenting to find the sweet spot for a given coil size, and for a given atomizer.

ArrogantBastard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm wicking with cotton bacon/ Japanese organic cotton.

I also find the my builds have a metallic taste for the first 40 hits.

I am fairly new to building and I have been testing coils and building and rebuild like a mad man to find my perfect cloud to flavor ratio for my RDA.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I sometimes get the metallic taste, it passes fairly fast. It's those scorched tasting hits that frustrate me when they happen. Hot leg, adjusting coils... or it gets scrapped, lol. I'm no pro with coils, but I prefer building over stock. I'm on rinky-dink stuff, no big monster builds for me.

ArrogantBastard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I sometimes get the metallic taste, it passes fairly fast. It's those scorched tasting hits that frustrate me when they happen. Hot leg, adjusting coils... or it gets scrapped, lol. I'm no pro with coils, but I prefer building over stock. I'm on rinky-dink stuff, no big monster builds for me.

Rinky-dink ? Lol that makes me think 510 to ego adaptor with a clone RDA running a 2ohm single coil on a spinner. Lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like my rinky dink tanks to...lol

Protank2's with simple 1.8ohm micro coils with 28g and raw organic cotton w/ V3 air flow controllers.:cool:

Break in for me seems to be pretty quick...the first 3 maybe 5 hits arent that great but after that it just seems to fall in place for me...Nothing special with wraps or wick...just simple tried and true builds.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rinky-dink ? Lol that makes me think 510 to ego adaptor with a clone RDA running a 2ohm single coil on a spinner. Lol
Not too far off. Not much for dripping, but I have 2 of them. I'm like @Mike H. I like my mini protanks or protank2. They work fine for me, never had a moment of trouble with mine from the beginning, so I just stick with them. 510 to ego? Nah, no adapter, lol!! I'm old school style. MVP2, vv3, Tesla Spiders and a Provari. No mechs here. I'm a rare breed. :confused:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Try oxidizing your coils before installing wick.

After you have done a few dry burns to get whatever is left from the machining process off of the material, add a drop or two of E-Liquid and do another dry burn, repeat once or thrice and your coil should be oxidized.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oxidize then let your wick sit in the juice for a few minutes before the first hit. let it soak up the goodness

ArrogantBastard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
oxidize then let your wick sit in the juice for a few minutes before the first hit. let it soak up the goodness

I did a new build today with 22g kanthal and cranked the voltage up to 65watts and did a few dry burns w/ juice I noticed the color of the wire change form a shinny finish to a Matt galvanized steel color and the wire started to smoke a little. Hopefully the wire is fully oxidized now.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did a new build today with 22g kanthal and cranked the voltage up to 65watts and did a few dry burns w/ juice I noticed the color of the wire change form a shinny finish to a Matt galvanized steel color and the wire started to smoke a little. Hopefully the wire is fully oxidized now.
I always dry burn my new coil builds until they're glowing red and smoking a few times, pinch with tweezers to straighten if they're not evenly heating from the inside out, then double check my resistance (sometimes this tweaking changes things). After that I wick and vape - my unverified theory is that when the wire acquires that matte finish it's because any nastiness from production has burned off. Never an issue with great flavor from toke one using this method...

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me I feel I get the best after the second or third time I drip

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I notice to after an hour or so of steady use my vape starts to get better. Especially when I chain vape and the coils begin to and stay hot. I recall several times thinking to myself, damn this thing is hittin now...

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first few hits off my E-Grip with the rba is the ones I like best and goes to shit by the evening of the next day. Coil repacked ever other morning.

90quattrocoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I build my coils, adjust the coils for uniformity, dry fire to burn off oils, dip in water, dry fire, dip in water, dry fire, and insert Shizen cotton wick. Flavor is just fine from the get go. I never have any initial cotton taste.

VU Sponsors